It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• Lexapro vs. Effexor

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-24-2003, 11:37 AM   #1
    Radio

Radio HB User
    Lexapro vs. Effexor

How do these two drugs compare?
    I've heard that Effexor is a much more heavy duty drug than Lexapro. I've also heard more positive things about Lexapro than I have about Effexor. My therapist wants me to take Effexor, but I think I'd feel more comfortable taking Lexapro. Is there any way for me to know which would be better for me before actually trying the drugs? Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-24-2003, 01:09 PM   #2
    sflaboy25
    Inactive

sflaboy25 HB User
    Re: Lexapro vs. Effexor

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Radio
    I've heard that Effexor is a much more heavy duty drug than Lexapro. I've also heard more positive things about Lexapro than I have about Effexor. My therapist wants me to take Effexor, but I think I'd feel more comfortable taking Lexapro. Is there any way for me to know which would be better for me before actually trying the drugs? Thanks
    you can't really compare the two...lexapro is a potent inhibitor of serotonin where as effexor inhibits serotonin And norepinephrine (dopamine also but at higher doses usually above 225mgs. daily)
    just because you have heard more negative things about effexor doesn't mean that you shouldn't try it based on others opinion..effexor combined with wellbutrin is the only thing that ever worked for me..tried prozac, zoloft, celexa and lexapro with no results...yet you might respond better to ssri's. it just really depends on the person and their bodies chemistry.
    lexapro is a great medication but it might not work for you...same goes for the effexor. in my opinion, lexapro is the easiest to work with since theraputic doses range from 10mg-20mg daily..while effexor xr. ranges from 75mg-350mg.
    i am currently taking 300mg. of effexor xr. daily and took a month or so before i reached that dose and found that it worked well for me without a lot of side effects.
    try the effexor first for a month or so and see how that works for u...there is a starter kit that your therapist should have and starts you out at 37.5mgs. daily for a week than increased to 75mgs. the next week. i think that starting out at 75mgs. for most people is a good way to start. i have a very high tolerance to drugs so 37.5mg. was like taking a sugar pill basically lol
    if after 4-6 weeks on effexor..you are not feeling better despite increasing the dosage and/or the side effects are unbearable, then try lexapro. honestly the only side effects i have from the effexor is increased energy and decreased appetite. good luck!

Old 11-24-2003, 11:34 PM   #3
    lori j
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lori j HB User
    Re: Lexapro vs. Effexor

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Radio
    the only way to know is to try one of them. I did terrible on both of them, but I also react strongly to most meds.

Closed Thread