HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Depression (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/depression/)
-   -   Wellbutrin not for me... Effexor ?'s (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/depression/130742-wellbutrin-not-me-effexor-s.html)

Epiphany2003 11-30-2003 09:09 PM

Wellbutrin not for me... Effexor ?'s

A month ago I was put on Wellbutrin SR. I started at 75mg and worked only up to 150mg. My doctor thinks 300mg would be way too much because I am small. He also put me on Klonopin at night since Wellbutrin is said to cause insomnia and anxiety. I suffer from depression and an anxiety disorder, so my doctor was wary to even put me on Wellbutrin due to the fact it usually makes anxiety worse. However, when my therapist suggested I get on meds again, I freaked out because I have had horrible experiences on SSRI's. I refused any SSRI.

So, here I am. I have gone three full weeks on Wellbutrin and I'm not doing good. I feel like all the bad side effects should have subsided by now, but they are only getting worse. I have a full time headache, am nauseaus all the time, and cann't eat. My brain is always going full speed and while I couldn't concentrate prior to this because I was so depressed and anxious, I now cannot concentrate because I feel like I have to do 1,000 things at once. I have extreme mood swings and those have only gotten worse. Not to mention I am a control freak and I'm starting to go way overboard on that now, too. I have started obsessing about my weight, even though I am average and active.

So, that's my story. I have a follow-up with my psych next week, but am going to call tomorrow to try to get in earlier to get off this stuff! Since I refuse to take an SSRI... I have been researching and think Effexor XR may be the next logical one to try?? for those of you taking it... does it help with depression AND anxiety??

I am severly afraid of sexual side effects and weight gain... I wish I didn't have to be on meds at all, but I am out of control. And the last thing I need are meds that make me worse. I am seeing a therapist, too, but that just isn't enough right now.

Thanks... I hope someone can please offer some guidance.

AMC 11-30-2003 09:40 PM

Re: Wellbutrin not for me... Effexor ?'s

Epiphany, Like you, I was put on wellbutrin about a year ago and did not have success with it at all. It gave me major headaches and made me feel worse. After One month, I was switched to Effexor XP and a month later I was feeling much better. I am still on it and it works better than any I have tried and that is many. It also helps me with anxiety although I do have to take xanax sometimes but not very often.

I hope you get to doing better........

AMC

lisar2003 12-01-2003 09:42 PM

[QUOTE=AMC]Epiphany, Like you, I was put on wellbutrin about a year ago and did not have success with it at all. It gave me major headaches and made me feel worse. After One month, I was switched to Effexor XP and a month later I was feeling much better. I am still on it and it works better than any I have tried and that is many. It also helps me with anxiety although I do have to take xanax sometimes but not very often.

I hope you get to doing better........

AMC[/QUOTE]

Hi,
I went to my dr. today and I am also taking Wellbutrin SR and klonapin. I discussed it with him if I could also try the Effexor XR with the Wellbutrin instead of stoping the Wellbutrin as I like how it makes me uppety ,but it doesn't help my mood swings and anxiety. The Wellbutrin makes the anxiety worse. I have family members that are on Effexor and they said that it is working well for them. I am also concerned about the weight gain that's why I don't want to stop the Wellbutrin. I will let you know in about a month when he prescribes me the Effexor.

tornado woman 12-02-2003 05:39 PM

I added Effexor to the Wellbutrin that I've been on for many years. I really liked the calming effect that Effexor had after the initial break-in period. It was great EXCEPT that it gave me insomnia. I had to quit taking it because I couldn't sleep. I even had to work a midnight shift one time and I did not get tired despite the fact that by the time it was time to go to sleep I'd been up for more than 25 hours straight. As far as ual side effects with Effexor...the decrease in anxiety made intimacy with my husband much more enjoyable so my drive went up, but unfortunately it took my ability to climax. Talk about frustrating!

I hope Effexor is "the one" for you. Good luck!

Epiphany2003 12-02-2003 05:56 PM

Thank you for your replies!

I called my doctor, and he just talked to me over the phone and decided Lexapro was next on the list to try. I hate SSRI's, but since the is the latest and greatest, I'll give it a whirl. I took the first pill this morning and so far only dry mouth... and a headache, but I don't think because of the pill. So, we'll see. Another month on this and I have yet another follow up with the pdoc. If he has to switch me again I think he'll scream... thank god for Klonopin though, to ease me into all these pills.

Muffie2 12-03-2003 04:11 PM

Hi Epiphany,
I really hope Lexapro helps you. Like you I have a combination of anxiety and depression. I started out trying Wellbutrin (my Dr. did not recommend it either due to my anxiety, but I wanted to try it because I heard it didn't cause weight gain, etc. and my sister said it was helping her.). In any case, it was a disaster. After about 3 or 4 weeks I switched to lexapro. I've now been taking 10mg Lexapro for about 9 months. For most of the time I considered it a Godsend since it really helped my depression and anxiety. The lethargy, increased sweating, and lack of sex drive were all acceptable side effects for me.

However, over the course of the 9 months on Lexapro I have gained nearly 30 lbs. (I am only 5'3") and I am miserable because of it. I would have stopped the med earlier if I had done some research and made the connection. When I started lexapro my Dr. said it was "weight neutral", and I believed him. Both he and my therapist never said a word as I complained about my weight gain each month. I just thought it was something wrong with me. Well, now I know better. I've been shocked reading the message boards and seeing how many people gain weight from the ADs. I used to think they meant 5 or 10 lbs, but I see people gaining on up to 70 lbs on the meds!

Weight is a huge issue for me and I feel really mislead by both my Dr. and my therapist. My therapist was telling me I should see a dr. to get my thyroid checked. Well i don't believe that I just suddenly started having a thyroid problem coincidentally at the time I started Lexapro.

I'm thoroughly disgusted that I didn't suspect the meds earlier.

Ok, enough of my venting, with that being said, Lexapro does help a lot of people without the weight gain! I hope it is the case for you! If weight is a concern to you, I'd monitor closely to make sure that it doesn't creep up on you like it did me. It's easier to lose 5 or 10 lbs than 30.

vtcas 12-03-2003 06:40 PM

I love Effexor XR. I've done the paxil, zoloft, and depakote thing. This one finally works. I love it. Unfortunately during the dosage adjustments you'll notice nausea as a big side affect. It doesn't bother me, at least I won't gain weight and I haven't for 5 months. Some people can take it in the am or pm. I choose am becuase I makes me wide awake sometimes. Fortunately a family member is an Effexor sales rep so she was able to share product knowledge and show me this really cool cd on effexor patients and their stories. I've had to have my dosage increased just recently, but that was due to too much stress at work. Unfortunately there's not perfect drug for anyone and experimentation is part of it. As far as sexual side effects, I enjoy having sex half the time, but have only climaxed once in the past many months. A lot of that I contribute towards some other things. Of course dry mouth is a big side effect too. I've had great results, i hope you do too!!!!

Epiphany2003 12-03-2003 07:31 PM

Muffie... Weight IS a huge issue for me. I've struggled with borderline eating disorders since high school. That was my major distress over taking SSRI's... the weight gain and sex problems. I know this sounds awful, but I will starve myself before I let these drugs sneak pounds up on me. I am also 5'3'' and even just 15 pounds overweight and I look like a stuffed sausage.

thanks for the warning!! Everyone has told me Lexapro is weight nuetral so far, also. I weigh myself three times a day, so if I gain so much as two pounds I will flip.

Anyway, it's day two of lexapro and nothing bad has happened. I have a cold and feel yucky, so it's hard to tell what's my cold and what's my meds. I do have nauseaus, but I read in another post about someone on Lexapro, that when they got nauseous it meant it was time to eat. Everything I feel nausous I eat a couple crackers or drink a glass of water and I feel a little better.

Lindakay 12-11-2003 08:06 PM

[QUOTE=Epiphany2003]Muffie... Weight IS a huge issue for me. I've struggled with borderline eating disorders since high school. That was my major distress over taking SSRI's... the weight gain and sex problems. I know this sounds awful, but I will starve myself before I let these drugs sneak pounds up on me. I am also 5'3'' and even just 15 pounds overweight and I look like a stuffed sausage.

thanks for the warning!! Everyone has told me Lexapro is weight nuetral so far, also. I weigh myself three times a day, so if I gain so much as two pounds I will flip.

Anyway, it's day two of lexapro and nothing bad has happened. I have a cold and feel yucky, so it's hard to tell what's my cold and what's my meds. I do have nauseaus, but I read in another post about someone on Lexapro, that when they got nauseous it meant it was time to eat. Everything I feel nausous I eat a couple crackers or drink a glass of water and I feel a little better.[/QUOTE]

Well when i went on lexapro i did feel much better, I started out on 10 mg, then increased to 20. The pdoc never even said a word about the weight gain. I just kept coming in there getting bigger and bigger and i wasmore and more angry and rageful. I kept saying, "The weight is an ISSUE" Finally she says, oh yes, well, that is the lexapro. Ok, great. **** me off. I stopped taking it. I am now back on Wellbutrin SR, my Ins wont pay for XL, I don't care. Sexual side Effects?????? Excuse me? I am sory Doc, but if i have to ROLL into the bed sweating, i am not having any sex, no effects at ALL, NONE, I cannot have any confidence in myself as Mis Piggy. Why don't some of these Doc's get it? And them being women ....please....................hmmm. Ok. My rant is over.
I am off the soap box. Somebody elses turn.