It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• Depression and Lyme Disease

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-27-2003, 05:09 PM   #1
    FarmGirl30

FarmGirl30 HB User
    Depression and Lyme Disease

Hi,

I just posted this (see a little farther below) on the Chronic Fatigue board, please exchange the word fatigue for "depression." I am a 30 year-old female who has struggled TREMENDOUSLY with severe, suicidal depression since I was a kid. All thru my teens and 20's and only recently have I found some *lasting* relief...after being diagnosed with late-stage Lyme Disease of all things! I was hospitalized for depression, have seen at least 7 different therapists and counselors, have read at least a few hundred books on depression and anxiety over the years, written tons of poems and stories, all very depressing... and have been on 11 diffferent anti-depressants since age 15 and also have tried to kill myself at least 3 times, with thoughts of doing it that must be up into the millions. So I KNOW Depression!!!

Anyway, the miracle for me was that it's root cause -- because remember, depression is a SYMPTOM -- was Lyme Disease. I had no idea Lyme could cause depression (yes, very suicidal depression, chronic depression, even some bi-polar types). I was completely uneducated about Lyme other than you got it from a tick bite and then antibiotics made u well. It's much more complex than that, the treatment, but anyway...! What a discovery to learn Lyme has been the cause of my hellacious years of intense, horrible suffering and depression! I never, ever would have come to that conclusion if not for Divine Intervention (God). It was unbelievable to me that a tick could cause me so much emotional misery, pain and agony for so many years... but it CAN AND DOES! Please, please look into getting tested, those of you especially who don't respond as well to medications (like how I was...after 2 mos. of antibiotics, I felt much better!!! Go figure). Those of you who have been suffering for years and years with it.... Remember, as I said, depression is a symptom....of something being wrong. It is not a root cause in itself. Sometimes it very well is emotional in nature, caused by overwhelming life circumstances. BUT, sometimes it does have a physical cause as in my case and who knows how many others out there who are undiagnosed or being misdiagnosed, just like I was! It turns out I have had Lyme for so long (over 20 years) without knowing it, that all through my life the infection spread into my brain and central nervous system, causing the most agonizing depression I think a person could ever experience, among other things. For me though, the depression was the main Lyme symptom, I had some physical symptoms but they were so mild and also came and went, that I never paid any attention to them.

Ok, am pasting in my original post to the Chronic Fatigue board. It's just TRUTH is power, and I was set free by it, so I hope I can help someone else discover it too! John 8:32

~~~~~~~~~

Hi,

I just wanted to tell everyone who has chronic fatigue to get tested for Lyme Disease. It turns out that's what I've had most of my life after years of thinking I had CFS, then fibromyalgia, then this and that. Nope. It was Lyme as the root cause all along.

I also want to say that Lyme Disease tests are NOT VERY ACCURATE, especially if youve been infected for a really long time like I was. Please find a doctor who is knowledgeable about Lyme. Most MDs are not, they think if you test neg, then u dont have it, yadda yadda. WRONG. I know someone who got tested 13 times and didnt show as positive until that last time! Finally she is getting the treatment she needs!

How to find a Dr. who knows more about Lyme other than that it's from a tick? Please search Google and type in "Lyme" plus your state plus "Doctors" or "doctors who treat." In my whole state, there are only 4 doctors who specialize in the treatment of this illness. Please pursue a diagnosis. I was not happy about believing I had CFS, I knew there had to be a root cause or something. However, it seems some people really do have CFS w/o having Lyme... Im not sure about that, need to do more research. Anyway, some might be put off by this message, having heard it before, but for someone else out there, this might be the answer they've been searching for. I so wish someone had told the horrors Lyme can cause about 20 years ago! It completely destroyed my entire life, and that is NO exaggeration! Please make sure you don't really have Lyme if you are having bad chronic fatigue.

Thanks and may God bless you!

FarmGirl30

Last edited by FarmGirl30; 12-27-2003 at 05:15 PM. Reason: typos

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-28-2003, 03:04 AM   #2
    GlamourStarlet8

GlamourStarlet8 HB User
    Re: Depression and Lyme Disease

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FarmGirl30
    Hi,

I just posted this (see a little farther below) on the Chronic Fatigue board, please exchange the word fatigue for "depression." I am a 30 year-old female who has struggled TREMENDOUSLY with severe, suicidal depression since I was a kid. All thru my teens and 20's and only recently have I found some *lasting* relief...after being diagnosed with late-stage Lyme Disease of all things! I was hospitalized for depression, have seen at least 7 different therapists and counselors, have read at least a few hundred books on depression and anxiety over the years, written tons of poems and stories, all very depressing... and have been on 11 diffferent anti-depressants since age 15 and also have tried to kill myself at least 3 times, with thoughts of doing it that must be up into the millions. So I KNOW Depression!!!

Anyway, the miracle for me was that it's root cause -- because remember, depression is a SYMPTOM -- was Lyme Disease. I had no idea Lyme could cause depression (yes, very suicidal depression, chronic depression, even some bi-polar types). I was completely uneducated about Lyme other than you got it from a tick bite and then antibiotics made u well. It's much more complex than that, the treatment, but anyway...! What a discovery to learn Lyme has been the cause of my hellacious years of intense, horrible suffering and depression! I never, ever would have come to that conclusion if not for Divine Intervention (God). It was unbelievable to me that a tick could cause me so much emotional misery, pain and agony for so many years... but it CAN AND DOES! Please, please look into getting tested, those of you especially who don't respond as well to medications (like how I was...after 2 mos. of antibiotics, I felt much better!!! Go figure). Those of you who have been suffering for years and years with it.... Remember, as I said, depression is a symptom....of something being wrong. It is not a root cause in itself. Sometimes it very well is emotional in nature, caused by overwhelming life circumstances. BUT, sometimes it does have a physical cause as in my case and who knows how many others out there who are undiagnosed or being misdiagnosed, just like I was! It turns out I have had Lyme for so long (over 20 years) without knowing it, that all through my life the infection spread into my brain and central nervous system, causing the most agonizing depression I think a person could ever experience, among other things. For me though, the depression was the main Lyme symptom, I had some physical symptoms but they were so mild and also came and went, that I never paid any attention to them.

Ok, am pasting in my original post to the Chronic Fatigue board. It's just TRUTH is power, and I was set free by it, so I hope I can help someone else discover it too! John 8:32

~~~~~~~~~

Hi,

I just wanted to tell everyone who has chronic fatigue to get tested for Lyme Disease. It turns out that's what I've had most of my life after years of thinking I had CFS, then fibromyalgia, then this and that. Nope. It was Lyme as the root cause all along.

I also want to say that Lyme Disease tests are NOT VERY ACCURATE, especially if youve been infected for a really long time like I was. Please find a doctor who is knowledgeable about Lyme. Most MDs are not, they think if you test neg, then u dont have it, yadda yadda. WRONG. I know someone who got tested 13 times and didnt show as positive until that last time! Finally she is getting the treatment she needs!

How to find a Dr. who knows more about Lyme other than that it's from a tick? Please search Google and type in "Lyme" plus your state plus "Doctors" or "doctors who treat." In my whole state, there are only 4 doctors who specialize in the treatment of this illness. Please pursue a diagnosis. I was not happy about believing I had CFS, I knew there had to be a root cause or something. However, it seems some people really do have CFS w/o having Lyme... Im not sure about that, need to do more research. Anyway, some might be put off by this message, having heard it before, but for someone else out there, this might be the answer they've been searching for. I so wish someone had told the horrors Lyme can cause about 20 years ago! It completely destroyed my entire life, and that is NO exaggeration! Please make sure you don't really have Lyme if you are having bad chronic fatigue.

Thanks and may God bless you!

FarmGirl30

Thank you farmgirl! I have my appt with an LLMD on January 13th~! Thanks to people like you on these boards people are finally getting the treatment they need and deserve.

God Bless

Jenny

Old 12-28-2003, 05:08 PM   #3
    Lectus
    (male)

Lectus HB User
    Re: Depression and Lyme Disease

I have long suspected Lyme disease as a cause for my symptoms (neurological crap has been degenerating over the past year, so depression/bipolar seem like cop out diagnoses. I look foward to the time when I can afford an appointment with a lyme literate doctor and the tests.

Closed Thread