It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• Xanax nightmare

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-06-2004, 11:22 AM   #1
    riotgrl13

riotgrl13 HB User
    Xanax nightmare

hello all I need some advice from those who have been there.
    I started on Xanax about two years ago. Doc prescribed .5 three times a day
    Thank god I never took that much. Lately I have thought that the Xanax is the think that gives me the panic attacks makes me sleepy. In short, I want my brain BACK. I have been weaning myself off as the new doc I see said I should be on for a year .5 bid along with Lexapro, I don't like that either. I want off all meds as I feel better. Problem is I have landed in no mans land. I am now on .25 once a day which I kind of break in pieces. Have slight tremors some zaps. Anyone have any suggestions on how long this lasts, also how do you know your through detox? Do you all of a sudden just stop having these symptoms?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2004, 12:13 PM   #2
    mouse62
    Inactive

mouse62 HB User
    Re: Xanax nightmare

Started on Xanax in Aug. 2002 -- I have cut Xanax slowly from .5 2x a day to (for the first month) .25 in morning, .5 at night, and now .25 in morning, .25 at night. I have no plans to taper more than that. Because my doc and I still see a reason for me to be on it -- I am still stressed and anxious at times (mostly from raising 2 challenging kids). What I'm on is the equivalent of 10 mgs Valium a day.

I guess I'm questioning your hurry to get off the Xanax. If you feel rotten now it might be because you tapered too fast. I didn't even feel my taper. I would be afraid if I was on a high dosage (I guess more than 1 mg a day?) but at my dosage I don't fear going into seizures or anything just because I miss a dose. At above 1 mg, yes, I was WAY too sleepy. But I feel ok at .5 - .75 a day.

Old 01-06-2004, 12:51 PM   #3
    KimRick
    Inactive

KimRick HB User

XANAX IS BAD NEWS !!!!!!!!!!!!

PLEASE be careful when weening yourself off of this crap!!! My fiance's doctor had him taking 15 2mg bars a day (for the last year), among other things, and then wanted him to start taking, on top of that, the same amount of Klonopin!!! When that was brought up, my fiance asked his doctor to help ween him off of it & was told "no" by his doctor. Well, it was like a wake up call for him to quit, so he weened himself off of it and was Xanax free in a month & 3 weeks after that, he had a violent seizure! The attending physician in the E.R. nearly dropped dead of a heart attack when I told her how much he was taking. She explained to me that the more you take and the longer you take it, the longer you have to ween yourself from it & because he weened too fast for his body, he had the seizure! For example, with the amount the he was taking and the length he was taking it, he would've needed a year to ween & withdrawl, properly.

GOOD LUCK & BE CAREFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-06-2004, 01:03 PM   #4
    mouse62
    Inactive

mouse62 HB User

Xanax -- I have never heard of such a high dosage (15 2mg bars a day). I know that for severe panic attacks people can take take 3mgs or 4mgs at once to stop it.

I have heard that the weaning should be 10% every few weeks? In my case I cut 25% for a month, and am now alternating between .5 and .75 a day, which I will continue indefinitely until my dr. and I decide to do otherwise. I guess just keep getting advice on here; someday I'd like to be 100% off it, too, to feel life without it! But I'm not going to hurry it and feel rotten as a result.

Old 01-07-2004, 01:59 AM   #5
    lori j
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lori j HB User

I never liked xanax for the simple reason I could tell when it took affect ( it would take my mood real high) and I could tell when it wore off (would drop my mood lower than before I took it). I started having panic attacks lately (added to my years of depression) and asked the doc for klonopin rather than xanax. It has worked out much better for me, it lasts longer & you don't feel it wear off. With xanax, which I only took occasionally, I would get the shakes & brain zaps when it wore off.

Old 01-07-2004, 12:14 PM   #6
    carlymonster

carlymonster HB User

hello i am currently back on xanax ive been on it off and on for about 5 years.... I have suffered panic attacks and depression and have been prescribed 1mg 3times a day -sometimes i take less as i try to......i am going to start withdrawl soon again when the weather gets better and i have more free time its hard to function during withdrawl i would like to try and completly rid myself of the drug not because i cant deal with its side effects , i feel great, almost normal when i am on xanax but because i fear its long term effects and toxicity on my body...also that the longer i am on it the harder it will be to withdrawl... 2 years ago i started my fist withdrawl process and slowly slowly tappered off i think it took me 6 months to get down to .o5mg a day...then .25 aday for a few weeks then i was off it and i had no anxiety and no depperssion for almost a year and a half then i started getting tension headaches an slowly started using xanx again....... had mimmimum of withdrawl side effects
    sometimes i was restless legs and achey kind of like the aches from the flu...
    does anyone know witch ones of the ssri's work best for anxity and deression...Paxil????

the key to xanax withdrawl is to do it very slowly......!!!!!!!!!

anyways hope this may help someone feel free to ask anymore ?????

Old 01-09-2004, 08:08 AM   #7
    KimRick
    Inactive

KimRick HB User

According to the Ashton Manual & numerous medical doctors that I've spoke to, you're supposed to ween for as long as you took it, to avoid hard core withdrawls & possibly seizures. For example, my fiance was taking 15 2mg bars/day for a year. He weened for about a month and 3 weeks after that, he had a VIOLENT seizure (he should've weened for about a year)! Please be careful when weening off from this drug - any benzo for that matter!

GOOD LUCK!

Old 01-11-2004, 08:52 PM   #8
    kimberann723c

kimberann723c HB User

Xanax I have been on for almost 6yrs. I go from 1mg a day to sometime 2 mg a day depending on how I feel if I am really down I will take 2. After doing alot of reseach on it. It is a very addictive drug and you can not just go off it is one that has to be weened off of. I would love to get off all my meds. I also take EFFEXOR XR I would love just to be normal and take none at all but I really don't think that will happen I have told my doctor I feel Like a walk zombie but hey want do they care. They are makeing money!! If I can help at all please me.

Old 01-12-2004, 10:25 PM   #9
    howard678
    Veteran

howard678 HB User

Welcome to the Xanax (benzodiazepine) nightmare. We reports similar experiences so we are not imagining things. The inserts thst come with these drugs clearly say not to stop them abruptly. Yet rehab centers do it all the time. I paid $5000 for a four day detox. Then the shrink billed an extra $500 for two 5 minute conversations. See any red flags?

Doc said I would be okay in about 5 days. Right!! I shook, trembled, had insatiable headaches, neck and back tension, etc. for 3 1/2 weeks. Worked still, amazingly, but it was looking like this was going to go on quite a while. I put the drugs back in, then switched over to Valium, minimizes withdrawals, longer acting, withdrawals much easier. Xanax is the very worst benzo to taper from, leaves you system fast, too many ups and downs, thus the panic. Klonopin is better but not much. Find a doc to switch you to Valium, then taper 10% every two weeks or so. No need to rush, will only hurt, not help.

It is not just a matter of getting the drugs out of your system. Do that and you are usually left with a nervous system way in overdrive. These drugs are different from street drugs and alcohol. Yet few doctors understand this, and most that wrongly prescribed you the drugs just wash their hands of you when the trouble hits. Often they are even rude about it.

Do a search, benzo, withdrawal. Is a lot of help out there.

Old 01-14-2004, 09:32 AM   #10
    Aries872
    Inactive

Aries872 HB User

I have never had xanax withdrawals. Guess it effects different people differently. Good luck to all of you.

Aries872

Old 01-14-2004, 10:16 AM   #11
    index.html
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

index.html HB User

The PDR says that Xanax should be reduced by no more than 0.5 mg every three days and that even this schedule may be too rapid for some people.

I'm like Aries. Xanax I can take or leave. I may take it daily for a while when really anxious and then suddenly realize that I haven't remembered to take any for a week or more. Just lucky, I guess.

KimRick, it's inconceivable to me that your fiance was actually prescribed 30mg/day. That he took that much, yes, but that one doctor prescribed that much for him doesn't seem possible. I read the PDR WAY TOO MUCH, but it says 10 mg/day is maximum dose. If he was getting 30mg/day from one doctor, I'd be inclined to file a complaint with the AMA about that doc.

Old 01-16-2004, 11:20 PM   #12
    howard678
    Veteran

howard678 HB User

Few if any become addicted to benzos if they only take them occasionally, so the last couple of posts make good sense. You would though be quite lucky if you take them on a daily basis long term or even for just a few months and do not become addicted. And I was prescribed them in just this manner.

Benzo withdrawals are the longest and worst of all, as any well informed doctor or nurse (though rare in the U.S.) will tell you. The drug companies minimize the realities of benzos, is in their interest. The rehab industry rackets do the same, lumping psychoactive drugs that should be tapered in with all the rest, while assigning the "substance abuse" label and billing insurance companies astronomical sums even though their success rates are miniscule. But when it comes to benzo dependency, you`d surely wish you`d opted for alcohol, cocaine, or herion addiction instead.

Closed Thread