It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• Was prescribed Wellbutrin by my psych, what should i expect, side effects, etc

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-21-2004, 12:44 PM   #1
    orange

orange HB User
    Question Was prescribed Wellbutrin by my psych, what should i expect, side effects, etc

I was recently prescribed Wellbutrin by my psychiatrist even though he said my depression isn't too bad. Mine is more of a situational depression and i tend to get really depressed if bad stuff happens and sometimes when i'm lonely i would get depress (again situational). Don't get me wrong, I have always noticed i get depressed for no reason a lot of times through my life, even as a kid. To make a long story short, I was prescribed Wellbutrin for my situation since he said i'm a college student and am really afraid of doing bad in school since i brought up concerns of having trouble concentrating or not doing as well as i could be due to concentration. He said this will help my depression and also help me concentrate. I asked if there were other meds i could take like prozac, etc but he said since i have trouble concentrating the Wellbutrin is more of a double effect, it'll help my depression and concentration. I'm kind of afraid of hte anxiety issue with Wellbutrin since i hear lots of complaints about increased anxiety, which is kinda of a double whammy since i have depression and already suffer some anxiety and concentration problems. What should i expect when taking this, the side efffects mainly? Also I believe i was prescribed the weakest dosage, 100mg (not sure), how bad would it be if i decide to stop taking it, will i suffer from any rebound effects?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-21-2004, 08:08 PM   #2
    2Beach

2Beach HB User
    Re: Was prescribed Wellbutrin by my psych, what should i expect, side effects, etc

I was on wellbutrin last year for about 4 months. The good news is you will lose some weight and have an increased sex drive and orgasms!! I ended up going off of it because I didn't think it helped my anxiety. I'm not depressed just anxious. Also, I felt like it made me wasily frustrated and short tempered. I recently started taking it again with effexor in an attempt to counteract the sexual side effects of the effexor. It didn't help with that for me but I've heard alot of people say it helped them with the sexual problems most meds cause. I went off my effexor 5 days ago and am feeling fine. I'm gonna stay on the wellbutrin and see how it goes. Last time I was on it I had no idea you were supposed to wean off these drugs so I quit cold turkey and had no side effects at all. I just quit the effexor (after only 5 weeks) and had no withdrawl problems at all. I hope this helps you ! Good Luck..

Old 01-22-2004, 12:47 PM   #3
    Epiphany2003

Epiphany2003 HB User
    Re: Was prescribed Wellbutrin by my psych, what should i expect, side effects, etc

For me Wellbutrin made me more jittery and anxious, and I wasn't able to concentrate more. It made me feel sick a lot and I was irritatble. I don't think it helped my depression much... how can it when I am biting my husbands head off and getting in fights?

I didn't like it, but many people take it with great success. give it a try and if it isnn't working, tell your doc and there are many other things out there.

Old 01-22-2004, 12:50 PM   #4
    foosballfan

foosballfan HB User

I took Wellbutrin for about 7 months for depression which wouldn't go away on its own after a few months. I just felt no pleasure in regular things, gained weight, had trouble sleeping and concentrating, and was really irritable.
    After starting it, the first thing I noticed was jitteriness and insomnia which was bad for a few days but went away .
    I had frequent nausea especially if i had caffeine at the same time as the pill. Going down to 100 mg SR from 150 helped that. My sex drive went up, and i had no erection problems. I temporarily lost weight.
    Alcohol tends to not taste the same on Wellbutrin. It tastes kind of bad.
    I stopped it on my own a few weeks ago, and have done ok since.

Closed Thread