It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• Effexor

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-26-2004, 09:29 AM   #1
    sissy1

sissy1 HB User
    Effexor

I am thinking of asking my Doctor for Effexer (sp?) and would like to hear any feed back from people who have used or is still using it. I wouldn't call my depression severe, just a constant sadness and unfullfilled feeling, guilt for no reason, lack of motivation etc. Also did anyone experience weight gain or sexual side effects for a woman. Thanks in advance for your responses.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2004, 12:50 PM   #2
    janicepowers
    (female)

janicepowers HB User
    Re: Effexor

I have been on Effexor for around two months now. It has helped me tremendously. I have not gained any weight, but my desire for sex is gone. Oh well, I would rather have my mental health than sex right now. However, I am not married, and I only see my boyfriend on weekends, so it isn't really a problem anyway. As far as I am concerned, the Effexor has worked wonders for me.

Old 01-26-2004, 06:41 PM   #3
    2Beach

2Beach HB User

here is my experience with effexor:
    I started taking it about 6 weeks ago. During that time my mood was great and it helped with the reason I went on it (anxiety).. but I was having alot of side effects from it.. nothing that was horrible just annoying. I had a very dry mouth, could NOT have orgasms, was jittery,couldn't sleep at night and I had these weird twitches... meaning my legs would jump all the time. After 5 weeks on it, I started having horrible itching and hives after taking it. I took 150mg. once a day. The itching became unbearable so I quit taking it. I stopped cold turkey which is not recommended but the itching was literally driving me insane so I was willing to put up with any withdrawls. A week went by and I was fine. I might add I was also taking 300 mg. of wellbutrin with effexor. The wellbutrin was added to try to combat the sexual side effects but it didn't work for me. So, after 7 days of felling totally finr.. about 2 days ago I started feeling nauseus then crying uncontrollably and shaking. I also was hot then cold.. I called my doc. and she said it was a delayed withdrawls fro the effexor. She prescribed phenergan for the nausea and xanax to help take the edge off and calm the uncontrollable sobbing. I have never cried like I was last night.. just hysterical and I was crying over absolutely nothing. Today was better. The nausea seems to have passed and so has the crying fits. I have a constant headache but it's not too bad. I am hoping this is the end of it. Actually, this was very mild compared to some of the horror stories I've read about effexor withdrawls. Just make sure you're well informed about what happens when you stop taking it. My doc never even told me this could happen. I'm gonna stick with the wellbutrin and see if it helps but I will never take another SSRI, knowing what happens when you go off. I realize everyone is different and you might feel like you absolutely need this and then I wouldn't dissuade you from taking it. Just ask alot of questions about side effects and going off effexor. good luck!!!

Old 01-26-2004, 06:46 PM   #4
    2Beach

2Beach HB User

PS

no weight gain at all inthe 6 weeks I took effexor. After losing 20 pounds on the South Beach Diet, I am very careful about what I eat. I'm thinking this probably helped me from gaining any weight while on effexor. When I was on paxil I gained about 10-15 pounds. I was always starving ! paxil was great but again, sexual side effects and weight gain made me decide to go off. I'd rather be a little anxious than non-sexual and fat !!!!

Old 01-26-2004, 10:50 PM   #5
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Effexor XR (75 mg) for the past year and 2 months has given me my life back. It has taken the dark cloudy feeling away and allowed me to experience things without all the chaotic thoughts I was having. I at times am feeling euphoric...things look brighter and clearer. It's also good for anxiety and OCD.

I've steadily put on pounds over the period of time I've been on it (from 117 to 143). I'm 5'8 and enjoying the fullness!!
    I don't exercise much and have a great craving for chocolate. I can't eat as I did in the past....but I am 49. Gaining weight was difficult for me to do. Now, my stomach is showing that I need to get more active. Also, I'm spending a lot more time on the computer. It could be the Effexor, but maybe not.

The sex drive is coming back, it could be because I'm just feeling better and not worrying about it. The more I worry about it and focus on the lack of stimulation...it's worse. Sometimes woohoo!, other times not so woohoo! That aspect of my life in my 25 years of marriage isn't a main concern, certainly feeling better and wanting to be part of life outweighs the sex.

Even those who aren't on antidepressants when focussed too much on sex drive/orgasms tend to defeat the whole experience. Relaxing about it helps.

Also, exercise can enhance the feeling good state.

I tried Celexa (slept for a week) and Paxil (had a killer headache and nausea for a week). From my experience....Effexor XR is awesome! I initial dry mouth and nausea for the first week and a half. So far the only side effect is a slight tremour. I've always had one, but it seems a bit worse. It's possible it's enhanced it.....

Hope it helps you too.
    quincy

Last edited by quincy; 01-26-2004 at 10:54 PM.

Old 01-27-2004, 08:27 AM   #6
    sissy1

sissy1 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by quincy
    Effexor XR (75 mg) for the past year and 2 months has given me my life back. It has taken the dark cloudy feeling away and allowed me to experience things without all the chaotic thoughts I was having. I at times am feeling euphoric...things look brighter and clearer. It's also good for anxiety and OCD.

I've steadily put on pounds over the period of time I've been on it (from 117 to 143). I'm 5'8 and enjoying the fullness!!
    I don't exercise much and have a great craving for chocolate. I can't eat as I did in the past....but I am 49. Gaining weight was difficult for me to do. Now, my stomach is showing that I need to get more active. Also, I'm spending a lot more time on the computer. It could be the Effexor, but maybe not.

The sex drive is coming back, it could be because I'm just feeling better and not worrying about it. The more I worry about it and focus on the lack of stimulation...it's worse. Sometimes woohoo!, other times not so woohoo! That aspect of my life in my 25 years of marriage isn't a main concern, certainly feeling better and wanting to be part of life outweighs the sex.

Even those who aren't on antidepressants when focussed too much on sex drive/orgasms tend to defeat the whole experience. Relaxing about it helps.

Also, exercise can enhance the feeling good state.

I tried Celexa (slept for a week) and Paxil (had a killer headache and nausea for a week). From my experience....Effexor XR is awesome! I initial dry mouth and nausea for the first week and a half. So far the only side effect is a slight tremour. I've always had one, but it seems a bit worse. It's possible it's enhanced it.....

Hope it helps you too.
    quincy

Hi thank you for your lenthy explanation. It's so confusing because some have a great experience with it and some don't. I do have to say I hate the feeling tremors and I'm already having enough sexual side effects due to pre-menopause.

Old 01-27-2004, 08:30 AM   #7
    sissy1

sissy1 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by janicepowers
    I have been on Effexor for around two months now. It has helped me tremendously. I have not gained any weight, but my desire for sex is gone. Oh well, I would rather have my mental health than sex right now. However, I am not married, and I only see my boyfriend on weekends, so it isn't really a problem anyway. As far as I am concerned, the Effexor has worked wonders for me.
    Thank you Janice, I will take all the responses into consideration before talking with my Doctor. I'm already experiencing a weak sex drive due to premenopausal symptoms. My husband couldn't take much more lack of enthusiasm.

Old 01-27-2004, 08:39 AM   #8
    sissy1

sissy1 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2Beach
    PS

no weight gain at all inthe 6 weeks I took effexor. After losing 20 pounds on the South Beach Diet, I am very careful about what I eat. I'm thinking this probably helped me from gaining any weight while on effexor. When I was on paxil I gained about 10-15 pounds. I was always starving ! paxil was great but again, sexual side effects and weight gain made me decide to go off. I'd rather be a little anxious than non-sexual and fat !!!!
    Thank you for your post, your experience sounded terrible except for the not gaining weight part, I guess you were too busy scratching to eat, lol.

Old 01-27-2004, 09:17 AM   #9
    Bubbly21

Bubbly21 HB User

Hi Sissy

Since 2001 i have been on 3 different meds, first paxil, then prozac, both helped for a while, but now i am on effexor and it seems to be the best one for me...its a different type to the others, as it effects 2 parts of the brain or something like that, sorry, not that clued up..
    In my case i have never had any bad reactions to either med, but they each took a while to kick in, about 5 weeks...

Effexor seems to have really stabelized my moods, i used to go from feeling upset and depressed, to angry and frustrated and very irritable, then crying again...then angry again...i couldnt find a middle ground, but effexor really seems to have done the trick. In some ways i wonder if it is the med or time has helped to heal and i am naturally getting better...

Anyway, good luck
    Bubbly x

Old 01-27-2004, 04:18 PM   #10
    catlady2001

catlady2001 HB User

I was ON Effexor when I wasd hosptialized for depression. I had BEEN on it for a year. Obviously it did not work for me (and I wonder now if it made things worse).

I went off it but my Doctor woud not help me with the vertigo, nausea or the becoming highly sensitized to environmental stimuli... IN FACT, she told me if I went off it I woud "commit suicide."

That was four years ago. I am still here and I have a different Dcotor.

It took me 10 weeks to stop having "withdrawal" from this drug. However, I made it. I think I need help, but I am afraid to try drug therapy again and I do not have coverage for mental health..

It is not a good place to be.
    I believe this is or can be a good drug, but it was not good for me.

Old 01-28-2004, 04:03 AM   #11
    girl_alone

girl_alone HB User

I know there are alot of varying stories about Effexor, and I'm not really sure what I think about it.

I've been on it for about 6 months, and at higher doses it has enabled me to be more sociable, but it hasn't done anything to help how I feel 'inside'. I want to come off it and try something else but I get really bad headshocks and nausea when I am late with a dose, so I've got to find a few weeks where it won't affect my work too much if I can't function very well.

If you are willing to take a gamble, Effexor is the probably the drug to try, it either seems to work really well, or not at all.

Closed Thread