It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• Wellbutrin XL & Eating Disorder

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-04-2004, 09:13 AM   #1
    notorious b
    (female)

notorious b HB User
    Wellbutrin XL & Eating Disorder

I took Wellbutrin SR for the past 2 years and now they have XL, so I got a prescription for that... I am so excited, ONLY ONE PILL A DAY!!

My question is this... (i forgot to ask the Dr.) why do the commercials say "do not take Wellbutrin XL if you have or have had an eating disorder"??

I can understand if you have heart problems or liver/kidney problems, but why do they mention an eating disorder??

anyone?? any help is appreciated, i'm just curious.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2004, 09:41 AM   #2
    Crossbow
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Crossbow HB User
    Re: Wellbutrin XL & Eating Disorder

Because one of the common side effects is that it supresses your appetite. There may be other reasons too, but that's the one I'm aware of.

Old 02-04-2004, 11:18 AM   #3
    notorious b
    (female)

notorious b HB User

thanks for your input. i saw something about how your risk of seizures is higher if you've been bulimic, so taking the meds might affect that too. i bet it's a combo of those and other things.

thanks!!

Old 02-04-2004, 02:45 PM   #4
    Kaitrin
    Veteran
    (female)

Kaitrin HB User

It is due to the increased risk of having a seizure. Some doctors will still prescribe it though, as the risk of seizures is still pretty low.

Old 02-04-2004, 02:58 PM   #5
    index.html
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

index.html HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by notorious b
    why do the commercials say "do not take Wellbutrin XL if you have or have had an eating disorder"??
    It is because of the increased risk of seizures. The connection between having had an eating disorder at some point in your life and having an increased risk of seizures on this medication fascinates me. I don't understand it, but I do know that research has shown a positive correlation between the two.

Old 02-04-2004, 03:16 PM   #6
    notorious b
    (female)

notorious b HB User

thanks everyone!

i figured it had something to do with seizures... but can't find it spelled out anywhere...

Old 02-04-2004, 10:24 PM   #7
    katieoh54

katieoh54 HB User

Quote:
    I took Wellbutrin SR for the past 2 years and now they have XL, so I got a prescription for that... I am so excited, ONLY ONE PILL A DAY!!

My question is this... (i forgot to ask the Dr.) why do the commercials say "do not take Wellbutrin XL if you have or have had an eating disorder"??

I can understand if you have heart problems or liver/kidney problems, but why do they mention an eating disorder??

I was interested to read that you have been on Wellbutrin for 2 years.
    Seems it's common for it to stop working after a matter of months...it did that for me.
    I have just started taking it again after being off it for over 6 months.
    Does it still have the same effect for you as in the beginning? And did you have your dose increased along the way?
    Thanks in advance.

Old 02-05-2004, 08:19 PM   #8
    severebehavioraldisorder

severebehavioraldisorder HB User

Quote:

Hi, this is from Wellbutrin's site:

Patient Information
    WELLBUTRIN XL™ (WELL byu trin XL)
    (bupropion hydrochloride extended-release tablets)
    Read the Patient Information that comes with WELLBUTRIN XL before you start taking
    WELLBUTRIN XL and each time you get a refill. There may be new information. This leaflet does not
    take the place of talking with your doctor about your medical condition or your treatment.
    What is the most important information I should know about WELLBUTRIN XL?
    There is a chance of having a seizure (convulsion, fit) with WELLBUTRIN XL, especially in people:
    • with certain medical problems.
    • who take certain medicines.
    The chance of having seizures increases with higher doses of WELLBUTRIN XL. For more information,
    see the sections “Who should not take WELLBUTRIN XL?” and “What should I tell my doctor before using
    WELLBUTRIN XL?” Tell your doctor about all of your medical conditions and all the medicines you take.
    Do not take any other medicines while you are using WELLBUTRIN XL unless your doctor has said
    it is okay to take them.
    If you have a seizure while taking WELLBUTRIN XL, stop taking the tablets and call your doctor
    right away. Do not take WELLBUTRIN XL again if you have a seizure.
    What is WELLBUTRIN XL?
    WELLBUTRIN XL is a prescription medicine used to treat adults with a certain type of depression called
    major depressive disorder.
    Who should not take WELLBUTRIN XL?
    Do not take WELLBUTRIN XL if you
    • have or had a seizure disorder or epilepsy.
    • are taking ZYBAN (used to help people stop smoking) or any other medicines that contain
    bupropion hydrochloride, such as WELLBUTRIN Tablets or WELLBUTRIN SR Sustained-
    Release Tablets. Bupropion is the same active ingredient that is in WELLBUTRIN XL.
    • drink a lot of alcohol and abruptly stop drinking, or use medicines called sedatives (these make you
    sleepy) or benzodiazepines and you stop using them all of a sudden.
    • have taken within the last 14 days medicine for depression called a monoamine oxidase inhibitor
    (MAOI), such as NARDIL® (phenelzine sulfate), PARNATE® (tranylcypromine sulfate), or MARPLAN®
    (isocarboxazid).
    have or had an eating disorder such as anorexia nervosa or bulimia.• are allergic to the active ingredient in WELLBUTRIN XL, bupropion, or to any of the inactive ingredients.
    See the end of this leaflet for a complete list of ingredients in WELLBUTRIN XL.
    What should I tell my doctor before using WELLBUTRIN XL?
    • Tell your doctor about your medical conditions. Tell your doctor if you
    • are pregnant or plan to become pregnant. It is not known if WELLBUTRIN XL can harm your
    unborn baby. If you can use WELLBUTRIN XL while you are pregnant, talk to your doctor about how
    you can be on the Bupropion Pregnancy Registry.
    • are breastfeeding. WELLBUTRIN XL passes through your milk. It is not known if WELLBUTRIN XL
    can harm your baby.
    • have liver problems, especially cirrhosis of the liver.
    • have kidney problems.
    • have an eating disorder, such as anorexia nervosa or bulimia.
    • have had a head injury.
    • have had a seizure (convulsion, fit).
    • have a tumor in your nervous system (brain or spine).
    • have had a heart attack, heart problems, or high blood pressure.
    • are a diabetic taking insulin or other medicines to control your blood sugar.
    • drink a lot of alcohol.
    • abuse prescription medicines or street drugs.
    • Tell your doctor about all the medicines you take, including prescription and non-prescription medicines,
    vitamins and herbal supplements. Many medicines increase your chances of having seizures or
    other serious side effects if you take them while you are using WELLBUTRIN XL.

Old 02-06-2004, 09:25 AM   #9
    notorious b
    (female)

notorious b HB User

right, i know it says not to take it if you have had an ED before... i just couldn't find anywhere that is said WHY you shouldn't... that was my question!!

Closed Thread