It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• switching from paxil to wellbutrin

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-16-2004, 08:10 PM   #1
    Slip23us

Slip23us HB User
    Lightbulb switching from paxil to wellbutrin

I have been on paxil for a year and a half now and it does not seem to be working for me, my doctor swiched me to wellbutrin about a week ago and i would like to hear from other people who are on wellbutrin and the results or side effects that you may have encountered. Please help!!!!!!!!! Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2004, 03:30 AM   #2
    DzzRed66
    (female)

DzzRed66 HB User
    Re: switching from paxil to wellbutrin

Personal experience, I was taking Paxil for about 1 year. Had lots of weight gain, read that Wellbutrin, could help with the weight. So, I was taking Paxil and Wellbutrin. Kept gaining weight. Went off Paxil before, was unbearably irratible. Went back on.

Last month went off Wellbutrin...did not feel any side effects. Was taking 300mg per day. 2 weeks ago tapered off Paxil, doing well so far, been off of it for about 5 days. Did have tingling of the hand and face, finally went away.

I was taking Omega-3, and Vitamin E, I believe that helped me through the withdrawls. Do feel more energenric...will be exercising in a bit...so hopefully the weight will come off.

Bottom line, I don't really think Wellbutrin helped me in any way. I didn't feel any different when I wasn't taking it (but I of course was still on Paxil). It must be different for each individual.

Yvette

Old 02-17-2004, 06:52 AM   #3
    prettyboi22

prettyboi22 HB User

i want to switch from paxil to wellburtin also because of the easy weight gain on paxil i cannot stand! let me know how it goes.
    Yvette[/QUOTE]

Old 02-17-2004, 06:53 AM   #4
    prettyboi22

prettyboi22 HB User

I also wanted to mention that my doctor said paxil is usually a lot better for anxiiety then wellbutrin anyways not sure how much truth there is to this??!?!

Old 02-17-2004, 11:50 AM   #5
    Crossbow
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Crossbow HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by prettyboi22
    I also wanted to mention that my doctor said paxil is usually a lot better for anxiiety then wellbutrin anyways not sure how much truth there is to this??!?!
    For me, Paxil practically eliminated anxiety from my life. When I switched to Welbutrin because of the side-effects from Paxil, my anxiety got so bad I couldn't even speak. Literally. It was 1000 times worse than without any meds at all.

I'm now on both Lexapro and Welutrin and it's OK. The side effects I had from Welbutrin this time were: Shakiness and nervous energy for the first two weaks, and bad sweating for the first month or so.

Old 02-25-2004, 11:24 AM   #6
    kingdom909

kingdom909 HB User

Here's my story on Paxil vs. Wellbutrin.

I finally got help for my anxiety and depression that I've been suffering from for probably the past 10 years or even longer. I always thought that I had it under control, though friends would often say that I worried way too much. I would become fixated on issues that I had no control over. My mind would constantly dwell on these worries as if it was the end of the world and I would lose sleep over it. I would become depressed, not suicidal, but simply very, very down.

I started Paxil back in August 12.5 mg for 2 weeks, then 25mg and the anxiety and depression went away. My wife noticed this of course and said how happy I appeared to be. I was prepared to deal with all the little issues that I had made into "end of world" issues pre-paxil. However there were some sexual side effects so my doctor about 2 months ago switched me off Paxil and onto Wellbutrin XL 150mg for 2 weeks, then 300mg. Well it was 7 weeks on Wellbutrin XL and my anxiety returned even more so to then when I wasn't taking anything. My wife said I was going crazy with worry and fear over things I couldn't control in my life. I was losing sleep. I would take the pill at 10pm and it would knock me out within 30 minutes. However, I was up at 3am constantly with sweats and anxiety. I finally called my doctor and he has reduced the Wellbutrin to 150mg and put me back on Paxil 12.5mg. He feels this combination will reduce the anxiety and the sexual side effects of Paxil.

I'll let the board know how this went in a month or so. My body hated Wellbutrin XL. Anyone else have similar problems with this type of switch?

Scott

Old 02-25-2004, 12:20 PM   #7
    DzzRed66
    (female)

DzzRed66 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by prettyboi22
    i want to switch from paxil to wellburtin also because of the easy weight gain on paxil i cannot stand! let me know how it goes.
    Yvette
    [/QUOTE]

Been off Paxil. Started 20 minutes of treadmill, each day, (on day 8). Before I just ate one meal...trying to eat 6 mini meals...hard to do. Finally can eat breakfast...so I think that is helping...lost 8 pounds Now my 'big' pants aren't so tight! Give me a month, and I'll let ya know where I am with the weight loss. Also, am taking Omega 3, Vit E and multivatiman/minerals.

Yvette

Closed Thread