It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Depression Message Board

  • Weight gain with Prozac??

  • Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Old 03-04-2004, 06:37 AM   #1
    Ava11
    Junior Member
     
    Ava11's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jun 2003
    Posts: 32
    Ava11 HB User
    Weight gain with Prozac??

    Has anyone experienced weight gain with Prozac? If so, how long were you on it before you experienced the gain? I have been on both Paxil and Zoloft in the past and gained weight on both of them after about a year. Then, I was off meds completely for about a year and a half and lost all the weight and then some! Unfortunately, I became depressed and was having a lot of anxiety again so now I'm on Prozac. I'm just hoping with my new eating habits I can keep the weight off!

    I would love to hear about anyone's experience with Prozac! Oh, also I've had some insomnia, where I wake up anywhere from 1-3am and then I can't get back to sleep for an hour or two!

    Thanks!

    Ava

     
    Sponsors Lightbulb
       
    Old 03-04-2004, 09:21 AM   #2
    Crossbow
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    Crossbow's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jan 2004
    Posts: 1,191
    Crossbow HB User
    Re: Weight gain with Prozac??

    Side effects can't be predicted. I think weight gain is less common with Prozac than with other SSRIs.
    __________________
    Choose the devil you don't know.

     
    Old 03-05-2004, 09:32 AM   #3
    Ava11
    Junior Member
     
    Ava11's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jun 2003
    Posts: 32
    Ava11 HB User
    Re: Weight gain with Prozac??

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crossbow
    Side effects can't be predicted. I think weight gain is less common with Prozac than with other SSRIs.

    Please give me your Prozac experience!

     
    Old 03-05-2004, 10:35 AM   #4
    injured betty
    Inactive
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Feb 2004
    Posts: 2,135
    injured betty HB User
    Re: Weight gain with Prozac??

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ava11
    Has anyone experienced weight gain with Prozac? If so, how long were you on it before you experienced the gain? I have been on both Paxil and Zoloft in the past and gained weight on both of them after about a year. Then, I was off meds completely for about a year and a half and lost all the weight and then some! Unfortunately, I became depressed and was having a lot of anxiety again so now I'm on Prozac. I'm just hoping with my new eating habits I can keep the weight off!

    I would love to hear about anyone's experience with Prozac! Oh, also I've had some insomnia, where I wake up anywhere from 1-3am and then I can't get back to sleep for an hour or two!

    Thanks!

    Ava
    Prozac is one of the worst meds that you can take, IMHO. There is a book called, Talking Back to Prozac that you might want to read.

    I was on Prozac for awhile. I lost thirty pounds. My hair lost it's gloss and started to fall out. My teeth were effected. I was so thin that people thought that I had AIDS. I had no appetite. Food lost it's taste. Bread felt like cardboard in my mouth. I had to use artificial saliva. Couldn't sleep for anything. If there was a side effect I had it.

    I went searching for answers. Prozac has the same properties as speed.

    You may want to rethink Prozac. Maybe Celexa. I understand that the new Wellbutrin is okay, less side effects.

    If you are going to take Prozac, and it alters your appetite, make sure that your take your supplements and eat healthy foods.

     
    Old 03-05-2004, 11:19 AM   #5
    ftlmatt
    Member
     
    ftlmatt's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Oct 2003
    Location: Ft. Lauderdale, florida
    Posts: 89
    ftlmatt HB User
    Re: Weight gain with Prozac??

    actually prozac is a good ssri to be on if you have gained weight or felt tired due to other medications since it is the least selective of the ssri's and tend to be more stimulating.
    prozac does NOT have the same properties of speed. i am currently taking prozac and dexedrine and there is no comparison. prozac affects serotonin while amphetamines "speed" affect norepinephrine and dopamine. not only blocking their reuptake, but also increasing their release and diminished mao activity....it is true that prozac might have the same side effects...but would not say it has the same properties...some people might experience agitation, weight loss, appetite loss, etc. on prozac sometimes if the dosage is too high. this can sometime be attributed to serotonin syndrome which can be fixed by reducing dosage or change of medication.
    wellbutrin is actually more similar to amphetamines than any other antidepressant. it blocks the reuptake of both norepinephrine and dopamine although not as strongly and selective as amphetamines. it is a good antidepressant for people that do not respond to ssri's, low rate of weight gain and low rate if sexual side effects. it is also good to use in combination with an ssri if suffering from weight gain, sexual side effects or fatigue. if u have anxiety problems i do not recommend it as it will tend to make anxiety worse in some. but because everyone is different, it is not written in stone.
    prozac was the first antidepressant for me when i was diagnosed 5 years ago. i switched to the generic form and for some reason did not work as well as the brand name (probably due to different fillers which can decrease absorption up to 15%...in fact generic ritalin has been proven to be not as effective as the brand name just because of the cheap fillers used, so a higher dose is needed) i have been on zoloft, celexa, lexapro, serzone, wellbutrin and effexor. i started 20mg. prozac again few weeks ago and already seeing marked improvements. the others, besides wellbutrin, did nothing for my depression. so give prozac a try. if u are sensitive to medication, start off at the 10mg. dose and not the 20mg dose to see how it works for you. and remember to give 6 weeks before seeing maximum benefits of the medication.
    for insomnia try taking 1-3mg. melatonin about an hour before bedtime.

     
    Old 03-05-2004, 11:29 AM   #6
    injured betty
    Inactive
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Feb 2004
    Posts: 2,135
    injured betty HB User
    Re: Weight gain with Prozac??

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ftlmatt
    actually prozac is a good ssri to be on if you have gained weight or felt tired due to other medications since it is the least selective of the ssri's and tend to be more stimulating.
    prozac does NOT have the same properties of speed. i am currently taking prozac and dexedrine and there is no comparison. prozac affects serotonin while amphetamines "speed" affect norepinephrine and dopamine. not only blocking their reuptake, but also increasing their release and diminished mao activity....it is true that prozac might have the same side effects...but would not say it has the same properties...some people might experience agitation, weight loss, appetite loss, etc. on prozac sometimes if the dosage is too high. this can sometime be attributed to serotonin syndrome which can be fixed by reducing dosage or change of medication.

    undefined

    Prozac may not have the same properties of speed in that it does not contain the same chemical makeup but I didn't see any difference between taking speed and taking Prozac. In fact, I found speed to be cleaner. I tried 20 mg and still had the "speed" feeling. I did change meds. I stopped Prozac. It was killing me. I would have starved to death or killed someone. Here where I live Prozac is referred to as legal speed and it traded freely at school.
    undefined


    wellbutrin is actually more similar to amphetamines than any other antidepressant. it blocks the reuptake of both norepinephrine and dopamine although not as strongly and selective as amphetamines. it is a good antidepressant for people that do not respond to ssri's, low rate of weight gain and low rate if sexual side effects. it is also good to use in combination with an ssri if suffering from weight gain, sexual side effects or fatigue. if u have anxiety problems i do not recommend it as it will tend to make anxiety worse in some. but because everyone is different, it is not written in stone.
    prozac was the first antidepressant for me when i was diagnosed 5 years ago. i switched to the generic form and for some reason did not work as well as the brand name (probably due to different fillers which can decrease absorption up to 15%...in fact generic ritalin has been proven to be not as effective as the brand name just because of the cheap fillers used, so a higher dose is needed) i have been on zoloft, celexa, lexapro, serzone, wellbutrin and effexor. i started 20mg. prozac again few weeks ago and already seeing marked improvements. the others, besides wellbutrin, did nothing for my depression. so give prozac a try. if u are sensitive to medication, start off at the 10mg. dose and not the 20mg dose to see how it works for you. and remember to give 6 weeks before seeing maximum benefits of the medication.
    for insomnia try taking 1-3mg. melatonin about an hour before bedtime.

    undefined
    I am happy that it worked for you
    It certainly didn't work for me. There is a large contingency of us out there who it didn't work for. There are more books written about the bad side effects of Prozac than any other anti-depressant out there. That has to say something about it. If you take note, all of the women in the news who killed their kids, and then add in OJ, was on an anti-depressant at the time. OJ was taking Prozac. This drug as some "bad" side effects.
    undefined

     
    Old 03-05-2004, 11:44 AM   #7
    ftlmatt
    Member
     
    ftlmatt's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Oct 2003
    Location: Ft. Lauderdale, florida
    Posts: 89
    ftlmatt HB User
    Re: Weight gain with Prozac??

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by injured betty
    undefined
    I am happy that it worked for you
    It certainly didn't work for me. There is a large contingency of us out there who it didn't work for. There are more books written about the bad side effects of Prozac than any other anti-depressant out there. That has to say something about it. If you take note, all of the women in the news who killed their kids, and then add in OJ, was on an anti-depressant at the time. OJ was taking Prozac. This drug as some "bad" side effects.
    undefined
    there are more books on prozac because it was the first and is the most popular ssri (name wise) than any other ssri...those "stories" about people being on antidepressants are just that, news stories. nobody will know for sure whether antidepressants were ever a factor. again another example of the media blaming something else for someone's actions. there was a story on 60 minutes II few days ago about a teenage kid who committed suicide and the blame was on steroids..he was also taking lexapro, which they stated, but did not say a thing about it causing him suicide. the ssri-violence connection is only a theory and a great news story to cause hype.

     
    Old 03-05-2004, 11:56 AM   #8
    injured betty
    Inactive
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Feb 2004
    Posts: 2,135
    injured betty HB User
    Re: Weight gain with Prozac??

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ftlmatt
    there are more books on prozac because it was the first and is the most popular ssri (name wise) than any other ssri...those "stories" about people being on antidepressants are just that, news stories. nobody will know for sure whether antidepressants were ever a factor. again another example of the media blaming something else for someone's actions. there was a story on 60 minutes II few days ago about a teenage kid who committed suicide and the blame was on steroids..he was also taking lexapro, which they stated, but did not say a thing about it causing him suicide. the ssri-violence connection is only a theory and a great news story to cause hype.


    Okay, you are right, those were news stories and they can't prove that the anti-depressants were the cause. However, there are a lot of supporting facts to go with them.

    As for the books, I am not sure that it was because Prozac was the first. Looking back there are a lot of older anti-depressants such as Wellbrutrin.

    True story: I was on Prozac. I used to lay in my bed at night and think up ways to kill my husband, who I loved very much, not because I wanted him dead but because I wanted to save him from the world, much like the woman who killed her six (five?) kids. I eventually ended up running a Prozac Survivors Support group in our state. My phone was ringing off of the hook from people who had reactions much like mine. I had it all planned out, cut him up, cover him with lye, etc. Thankfully, he loved me enough to stick it out. We went to a psychiatrist and he told me that it was the Prozac. When I got off of it I looked back at my life and how screwed up it was when I was on it. I wouldn't give that stuff to my worst enemy.
    Try "Talking Back To Prozac" or "Prozac Nation". or just looking up the author and read about the studies or lack thereof that they did before the drug was pushed onto the public. It is scarry.
    I think that we have come a long way since Prozac. But then, I believe in the book, "Potatoes, Not Prozac".
    Why have we become a nation of people who pop pills for problems instead of solving them. My mom has lost three children, two to murder and one to suicide and she is not taking anything but facing reality. Granted, there are chemical imbalances but we can regulate that with food.

     
    Old 03-05-2004, 12:11 PM   #9
    ftlmatt
    Member
     
    ftlmatt's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Oct 2003
    Location: Ft. Lauderdale, florida
    Posts: 89
    ftlmatt HB User
    Re: Weight gain with Prozac??

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by injured betty


    Okay, you are right, those were news stories and they can't prove that the anti-depressants were the cause. However, there are a lot of supporting facts to go with them.

    As for the books, I am not sure that it was because Prozac was the first. Looking back there are a lot of older anti-depressants such as Wellbrutrin.

    True story: I was on Prozac. I used to lay in my bed at night and think up ways to kill my husband, who I loved very much, not because I wanted him dead but because I wanted to save him from the world, much like the woman who killed her six (five?) kids. I eventually ended up running a Prozac Survivors Support group in our state. My phone was ringing off of the hook from people who had reactions much like mine. I had it all planned out, cut him up, cover him with lye, etc. Thankfully, he loved me enough to stick it out. We went to a psychiatrist and he told me that it was the Prozac. When I got off of it I looked back at my life and how screwed up it was when I was on it. I wouldn't give that stuff to my worst enemy.
    Try "Talking Back To Prozac" or "Prozac Nation". or just looking up the author and read about the studies or lack thereof that they did before the drug was pushed onto the public. It is scarry.
    I think that we have come a long way since Prozac. But then, I believe in the book, "Potatoes, Not Prozac".
    Why have we become a nation of people who pop pills for problems instead of solving them. My mom has lost three children, two to murder and one to suicide and she is not taking anything but facing reality. Granted, there are chemical imbalances but we can regulate that with food.

    yeah wellbutrin is older..but not nearly as well-known or prescribed as prozac. when prozac first came out, it revolutionized the way depression was treated as well as many other mental disorders. prozac was all over the news, magazines, newspapers, etc. prozac is, and will always will be, the most popular antidepressant....EVER!!
    i am sorry to hear about your negative reaction to prozac...but that should not discourage anyone from trying it because it might do the complete opposite and change that person's life. i hated effexor. it made me suicidal and went nuts on it...however i never tell anyone not to take or try it because the way i reacted to it is not the same as for another person. i know many people that have been saved from effexor. it is trial and error with antidepressants. fact is that ssri's are the safest, most reliable antidepressants available for the treatment of depression, etc. and for the millions suffering from major depressive disorder-it is worth taking the risk of trying medication so they can rise above it and get on with their lives.
    everybody told me to stay away from dextroamphetamine even though i suffered a lot from my add and depression. i decided not to listen to them and glad i did because i finally got my life back. point being listen to people's opinions and experiences but do not rely on them in your case. the only way to find out if something is gonna work with you or not is to try it yourself and work closely with your doctor and loved ones

     
    Old 03-05-2004, 01:59 PM   #10
    injured betty
    Inactive
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Feb 2004
    Posts: 2,135
    injured betty HB User
    Re: Weight gain with Prozac??

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ftlmatt
    yeah wellbutrin is older..but not nearly as well-known or prescribed as prozac. when prozac first came out, it revolutionized the way depression was treated as well as many other mental disorders. prozac was all over the news, magazines, newspapers, etc. prozac is, and will always will be, the most popular antidepressant....EVER!!
    i am sorry to hear about your negative reaction to prozac...but that should not discourage anyone from trying it because it might do the complete opposite and change that person's life. i hated effexor. it made me suicidal and went nuts on it...however i never tell anyone not to take or try it because the way i reacted to it is not the same as for another person. i know many people that have been saved from effexor. it is trial and error with antidepressants. fact is that ssri's are the safest, most reliable antidepressants available for the treatment of depression, etc. and for the millions suffering from major depressive disorder-it is worth taking the risk of trying medication so they can rise above it and get on with their lives.
    everybody told me to stay away from dextroamphetamine even though i suffered a lot from my add and depression. i decided not to listen to them and glad i did because i finally got my life back. point being listen to people's opinions and experiences but do not rely on them in your case. the only way to find out if something is gonna work with you or not is to try it yourself and work closely with your doctor and loved ones
    I am not saying that people should not take anti-depressants (Prozac or any of the rest of them) if they choose to. I just think that there is some pretty compelling evidence out there about the nasty side effects. When I first started taking Prozac I was like a cocaine addict, I was trying to share this great drug with everyone that was depressed. At the time that I was laying there thinking about how to kill my husband I didn't realize how bad it was. I thought that I was normal. That is how badly Prozac screwed with my brain. It took someone that really loved me, my daughter, to move out, to make me realize that hey, something is wrong here.

    I had just taken the doc's advice, willy nilly. I didn't realize then that you don't just put into your body everthing that someone tells you to even if it is by a doctor. From a lot of the posts that I read on the message boards that is exactly what people are doing and physicians are handing out anti-depressants like candy. At the time that I was on Prozac it was the number one prescribed medication on the market. That is scary. There was no one to talk to about what I was feeling. The internet was not as popular as it is today. I didn't know anyone at the time that was on anti-depressants although almost everyone I know now has tried them. All of my friend and relatives that did quit.

    Granted, they may get you over the rough spots, and there are people whose wiring is messed up, but there are other ways and I am happy that they worked for you but what happens when you have to face normal life again?

    My x-mother in law took the route of taking anti-depressants as long as they have been out. She now has liver damage that they have attributed to the medication. She is on one of the older ones. Also, her brain is misfiring. No one really knows the long term effects of the newer ones. It is all trial and error.

    I wouldn't say what I do if I didn't feel some sort of conviction about it. I really do think that these drugs are more dangerous than not. You can find the books on it on line, cheaply at well known on line book stores, used.

    I believe that it is Dr. Peter Bergen (sp?) that wrote most of the books on Prozac but Prozac Nation is written in a first hand account.

    You are right, it is all trial and error with anti-depressants but one of the many drawbacks is that it takes so long to build up in your system and then by then you might be experiencing unwanted side effects as you did on Effeloxlor (sp?)

    If you look at the studies you will find that Prozac was released to the public way before it should have been. The trial studies were very limited. They had the patent on the drug for a long time and there weren't really any good alternatives.

    I still stick to my theory that there are way too many anti-depressants prescribed out there as a quick fix. Feeling blue, pop a pill. I am against the theory of "pulling yourself up by the bootstraps". I really do believe that major depression exists but not to the extent that the meds are being prescribed and I don't think that there has been enough study on them in human.....oh yeah.....that is what they are doing, (doh) giving them to people who report the side effects so that they can develop new drugs and to try to cut down on the side efffects. This is why we have come full circle back to Wellbutrin. It was a good drug for some people but they needed to clean up the side effects. They did this and then re-released it. Sounds like Lexpro is the latest anti-depressant. I can't wait to see how this one turns out.

    For my depression: I take a long walk and eat a spoonful of chocolate. Releases all of those endorphins

     
    Old 03-05-2004, 02:33 PM   #11
    injured betty
    Inactive
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Feb 2004
    Posts: 2,135
    injured betty HB User
    Re: Weight gain with Prozac??

    [url]http://www.boston.com/news/globe/ideas/articles/2004/02/01/talking_back_to_prozac/[/url][URL=http://]http://www.boston.com/news/globe/ideas/articles/2004/02/01/talking_back_to_prozac/[/URL]

     
    Old 03-05-2004, 04:28 PM   #12
    ftlmatt
    Member
     
    ftlmatt's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Oct 2003
    Location: Ft. Lauderdale, florida
    Posts: 89
    ftlmatt HB User
    Re: Weight gain with Prozac??

    dr. breggin's books are nothing short of prozac bashing and, in my mind, after reading them and many others...believe he is a nut. there are side effects that can arise from the use of ssri's, but considering other options (alcohol, cocaine, methamphetamine, etc) of trying to get rid of depression...they are the best way to go. and always remember you will hear and read the worst of a drug..never hear the millions of good things that people experience.

     
    Old 03-05-2004, 07:59 PM   #13
    injured betty
    Inactive
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Feb 2004
    Posts: 2,135
    injured betty HB User
    Re: Weight gain with Prozac??

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ftlmatt
    dr. breggin's books are nothing short of prozac bashing and, in my mind, after reading them and many others...believe he is a nut. there are side effects that can arise from the use of ssri's, but considering other options (alcohol, cocaine, methamphetamine, etc) of trying to get rid of depression...they are the best way to go. and always remember you will hear and read the worst of a drug..never hear the millions of good things that people experience.
    I can't change your mind. Did you read the link that I sent? It pretty much agrees with Dr. Breggin. I think that if you take the time to really read that link and then go to some sites on SSRI's that researchers not invested in the company have written you might see my side of things. That article makes a lot of sense in regards to the time line perspective of SSRI's and the prescribing of them.

    Until you read that link and can quote studies that prove that SSRI's are better than other methods, I give up. At my age, with so much at stake, I take a lot of time to research things now even if it means going out to the pubic and talking to people about it. I became concerned when I had bad reactions to the drugs. I was most concerned when I noticed kids in the classroom had scripts for them and were passing them around as an alternative to speed. There are five year old's taking these in classrooms where I have worked. How depressed can a five year old be? That is like a little kid trying to sing a country song about his wife leaving him.

    There are so many alternatives to SSRI's.

    The world is filled with depressed people. There are also a lot of people who are bi-polar and misdiagnosed. They end of taking SSRI's which takes away the highs which most of us bi-polar people live for. The world would be pretty much black and white if it weren't for the OCD and the manic people IMHO.

     
    Old 03-06-2004, 06:42 AM   #14
    ftlmatt
    Member
     
    ftlmatt's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Oct 2003
    Location: Ft. Lauderdale, florida
    Posts: 89
    ftlmatt HB User
    Re: Weight gain with Prozac??

    i have read that link many times before and it is nothing short of a promotion for a book. i don't believe everything i read sorry. i understand and know that there have been some serious side effects due to ssri's....however the positive's clearly outweigh the negative's. the chance that someone is going to commit suicide is much higher when they are depressed compared to the few "linked" suicides due to antidepressants.
    i know many people who are bipolar and sympathize with them. however the doctors they saw knew what they were doing and did not prescribe them ssri's since it is clearly stated by the drug companies that people prone to mania (bipolar included) should not be on the medication and makes bipolar symptoms worse. i don't blame the drugs or the drug companies when someone has a bad reaction...in the end, it is the responsibilty of the doctor and the patient to do his/her own homework. before i saw a doctor for my add/depression, i did tons of research on all kinds of medications, etc. and went in knowing what i wanted to try, how much, and what possible side effects i would experience. i take responsibility for what i put in my body, not my doctor or the drug companies.
    and about these kids passing around their prozac's as an alternative to speed. kids are kids...nothing more nothing less. therefore they hear about these "pills" making people happy. what they aren't told is that the people taking these "pills" suffer from depression and don't make them happy. but help control the symptoms of depression so the person can lead a normal life. and nobody explains that to them. trust me it is much easier for kids to get their hands on real drugs like speed and pot than it is prozac. at least it always was for me

     
    Old 03-10-2004, 02:36 PM   #15
    possum
    Senior Member
     
    possum's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Mar 2004
    Posts: 156
    possum HB User
    Re: Weight gain with Prozac??

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by injured betty
    Granted, there are chemical imbalances but we can regulate that with food.
    Just starting out on Prozac after a bad experience with another anti-depressant. While I will look for side-effects and consult my doctor regularly, I would love to know what foods can do the same as Prozac????

     
    Closed Thread

    Related Topics
    Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
    Anxiety Meds and Weight Gain RedMan1972 Anxiety 9 02-03-2010 03:00 PM
    Does Prozac cause weight gain? sunshine123 Anxiety 13 09-08-2009 04:14 AM
    Will I gain the weight back that I lost on Prozac? ShayBunnie Depression 2 03-04-2009 06:07 PM
    prozac and weight gain, please help,new here lolita1972 Depression 14 05-14-2005 04:36 PM
    Peri, weight gain, anti-depressants ainfante Menopause 8 04-30-2005 04:13 PM
    Peri-M - Anxiety - Weight Gain CynAnn Menopause 12 02-28-2005 09:26 AM
    Prozac and weight gain???? Help please! Meggie_B Depression 2 01-17-2005 08:40 AM
    Prozac??????weight Gain????? leeintx Depression 3 09-30-2004 08:10 PM
    weight gain with prozac? leeintx Depression 11 05-25-2004 05:08 AM




    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off




    Sign Up Today!

    Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

    I want my free account

    All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:21 AM.





    © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved.
    Do not copy or redistribute in any form!