It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• prozac users or previous users!!!!!!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-12-2004, 06:08 PM   #1
    Just_me_again
    (female)

Just_me_again HB User
    Question prozac users or previous users!!!!!!!

hi, i just started prozac about a week ago now, it is the first anti-depressant ive ever been on, and i just wanna know what i can expect. my doctor didnt really tell me! He did tell that i could feel pretty crappy for the first week or so, and i sure do! What kind of side affects did any of you have? I really want to know, because i have no idea whats going on!!!!!!! thanx alot if you responde!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2004, 03:02 PM   #2
    possum

possum HB User
    Re: prozac users or previous users!!!!!!!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Just_me_again
    hi, i just started prozac about a week ago now, it is the first anti-depressant ive ever been on
    I have been on Prozac for a week aswell, but my side-effects are very mild. I have worse insomina than before (which was bad), very vivid dreams and worse of all, tiredness during the day, but it was normal for me to get incapacitating fatigue lasting up to 4 hours numerous times a day, so this is a great trade off.

Since I started I have had very few episodes of fatigue/tiredness/light-headedness, which is the main reason I started on the drug. The other main reason was inability to make a decision (which the doctor said would be cured) but this I feel will take weeks to become aparent.

My appetite seems to be better but I'm purposely not eating more than usual because I know I'll put on extra weight. Food also tastes much better as a result.

Thoughts of suicide have gone, while thoughts of low self worth, anxiety attacks, irritability, flash-backs and night sweats are not happening as frequently. Before they'd be three times a day at least, now it's about 1 every two days.

I've read that up to 50% of people lose their libido, mine is deffinately gone up (note this is a negative as there was no problem in that department)

I'm starting to want to get out more aswell. Everyone will have different side-effects. From what I've read against Prozac, this is abundantly clear.

Prozac is not my first anti-depressant. The other one I tried (and I won't mention what it was, because it might be the right one for you) made me ill. I was always tired/sleepy and irritable. I've read that they believe that Prozac is not right for about 30% of people who need an anti-depressant, so give it about a month or two to see if the side-effects disappear. A rash is an allergic reaction which means you need to stop immediately. If the side-effects don't stop after 2 months, try something else.

Old 03-13-2004, 07:09 PM   #3
    sleann

sleann HB User
    Unhappy Re: prozac users or previous users!!!!!!!

I have been on Prozac 10 days and feel no different than when I started. Not any better, not any worse, and no side effects at all. It's like I am taking nothing. I go back to my doctor on Thursday so we'll see what he says. I am only taking 10 mg. so maybe it hasn't been long enough. Shouldn't I be able to tell some difference by now?

Old 03-14-2004, 07:41 AM   #4
    index.html
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

index.html HB User

Hi, just_me_again! If you've been on the Prozac for a week, my guess is that you probably won't develop any other side effects from what you're already seeing and those should start easing up. In what way are you feeling crappy?

possum, if your thoughts of suicide are gone and your symptoms are decreasing after just a week, my opinion would be that you're on the right track! Good luck!

sleann, try not to get discouraged. Most people probably wouldn't feel much better after a week at 10mg. I expect your doc will want you to stay with it for awhile (& probably will want to increase the dose).

Old 03-14-2004, 05:15 PM   #5
    possum

possum HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by index.html
    possum, if your thoughts of suicide are gone and your symptoms are decreasing after just a week, my opinion would be that you're on the right track! Good luck!
    HEY HEY! Thanks index.html. I'm currently on 20 mg a day which I take every morning with a glass of vegetable (YUK PHEWIE) juice when I first wake up.

Getting really drowsy (and pretty cappy as Just_me_again puts it) during the day now (7th day), but it comes and goes. Can't predict when it's going to happen, but at least it's better than fatigue. Had a pain in my stomach while walking today, but it went after about half an hour of rest. No other real side-effects at the moment.

Old 03-15-2004, 07:00 PM   #6
    Just_me_again
    (female)

Just_me_again HB User
    Red face Re: prozac users or previous users!!!!!!!

Hello, thanx for replying everyone! My side effects are mostly just feeling sick. I dont find that it makes me tired. I seem to be feeling a bit MORE anxiety now more than usual though! But that might be just because i get really anxious when i feel sick.

Old 03-16-2004, 07:34 AM   #7
    Ava11

Ava11 HB User

I've been on Prozac for about 6 weeks and it has helped a lot with my depression/anxiety. Unfortunately, I have had some insomnia or maybe best described as interrupted sleep. I wake up between 1a.m. and 3a.m. and I'm awake for an hour or two. I've tried taking the meds during the day but, that makes me EXTREMELY tired. I do think the sleep interruption is getting a little better, gradually. So far, I haven't gained any weight! I did gain a LOT of weight (25lbs) on Paxil and Zoloft. I was of antidepressants for 1.5yrs, lost the weight and I'm hoping to keep it off while on Prozac (time will tell).

Old 03-16-2004, 05:04 PM   #8
    possum

possum HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ava11
    I've tried taking the meds during the day but, that makes me EXTREMELY tired.
    I assume your taking the meds at night before you go to sleep?

I'm on day 9 now and have had the same interrupted sleep. Feeling tired all the time. I take a 20mg capsule first thing when I wake up in the morning.

Is anybody else taking there meds at night?

Old 03-16-2004, 05:22 PM   #9
    leeintx

leeintx HB User

hey yall..ive been on prozac 20mg for 4 weeks now and i take it at night. at first it would not let me sleep and about the 2nd week i could sleep better and then i was so sleepy all day even if i got 9 hrs of sleep at night but now it seams a lot better not to sleepy anymore and i still take it at night and you can count on me getting sleepy within 30 min after i take it. thats the only side effect i had from it..i hope weight gain isnt one of the side effects...my dr said no it was not....hope not........ok yall thats my 2 cents..prozac gave me my life back...

Old 03-16-2004, 06:16 PM   #10
    Just_me_again
    (female)

Just_me_again HB User

hey. wow i sure hope prozac will make me gain weight! hahah. im one of those kids where no matter how much i eat im stuck skinny, and i want some fat on my bones! hahah. anyways, thanks for writing everyone, and keep it coming, i need all the advice i can get!

Last edited by Just_me_again; 03-16-2004 at 06:21 PM. Reason: one sentence doesnt make sense

Old 03-16-2004, 07:49 PM   #11
    Just_me_again
    (female)

Just_me_again HB User

hey, how long did it take any of you for the prozac to start working?

Old 03-16-2004, 08:39 PM   #12
    sleann

sleann HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Just_me_again
    hey, how long did it take any of you for the prozac to start working?
    It's been 13 days for me and still nothing noticeable.

Old 03-17-2004, 07:11 AM   #13
    Crossbow
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Crossbow HB User

Most take between 2 and 6 weeks to get to full effect, but you should nt cie at least some improvement after 2 weeks. If you don't, tell your doctor.

Old 03-17-2004, 04:46 PM   #14
    possum

possum HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crossbow
    Most take between 2 and 6 weeks to get to full effect, but you should nt cie at least some improvement after 2 weeks. If you don't, tell your doctor.
    I certainly hope so, as I feel like I haven't slept for a week.

I'm on day 10 of 20mg. Will continue taking capsules in the morning till I consult my doctor (probably on day 15) and seek his advice.

Feel like I'm in pain all over, and all I want to do is sleep, but I can't fall asleep. I went to bed early last night and couldn't sleep more than an hour and a half in one go. Then it'd be hard to fall asleep again. I certainly hope this ends soon as the dark circles under my eyes make me look like a "junkie"!

Old 03-18-2004, 02:45 PM   #15
    possum

possum HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by possum
    I certainly hope so, as I feel like I haven't slept for a week
    Day 11 on 20mg. I had a very early dinner and a light snack before I went to bed. This morning I woke up feeling GREAT. Still yawning a lot, but the bags under my eyes have gone. I don't know whether it's the Prozac kicking in or because I didn't have a late dinner as I usually do.

Closed Thread