It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Depression Message Board

  • Should I choose Paxil or Remeron?

  • Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Old 05-02-2004, 09:54 PM   #1
    peaceseeker2
    Member
    (male)
     
    Join Date: Sep 2003
    Location: Huntsville, AL, USA
    Posts: 66
    peaceseeker2 HB User
    Should I choose Paxil or Remeron?

    Hi! I need some advice. I am currently taking Effexor XR at 300 mg. a day. I started the Effexor at the beginning of February and I really do not think it is doing that much for me. I see my psychiatrist later this week and I think am going to see what he thinks about trying a different medication. The last time I saw him, my blood pressure was elevated. Since then, I have checked my blood pressure several times on those blood pressure monitoring machines in stores, and each time, my blood pressure has been has been in the prehypertension range or the borderline range. Prior to the Effexor XR, my blood pressure was always normal and I know Effexor can raise blood pressure at higher dosages. I have already been on Zoloft, Lexapro, and Wellbutrin SR. Since Lexapro is more or less a refined version of Celexa, I would assume that Celexa probably would not do much for me since Lexapro did not. I am currently taking Buspirone (the generic for BuSpar) so I can not take Luvox. Also, I have heard that Prozac is quite activating so that probably would not be a good choice. Zoloft had worked the best for me but I crashed on that at the beginning of the year and that is why I went to the Effexor. So...I am thinking that my best options are probably either Paxil or Remeron at this point. I have had sexual side effects ever since I started antidepressants. Remeron is supposed to cause minimal sexual side effects which is a nice feature but I read that it is quite sedating and that people tend to gain weight while on it. The disadvantage to Paxil is that it probably will have sexual side effects. I believe that in addition to Zoloft, it is one of the most common SSRIs prescribed to men who have issues with premature ejaculation. Also, there is quite a bit of controversy surrounding Paxil in regards to class action lawsuits and all that stuff. So.....what is your advice? I would like to feel better but not gain a ton of weight, be groggy at work, or have a ton of sexual side effects. Oh, by the way, I am a male. Sigh. The trials and tribulations of the depressed. Are we all a lucky bunch or what? I look forward to reading your suggestions and thoughts. Thanks in advance!

    Last edited by peaceseeker2; 05-02-2004 at 09:58 PM.

     
    Sponsors Lightbulb
       
    Old 05-02-2004, 10:30 PM   #2
    google321
    Junior Member
     
    Join Date: Apr 2004
    Posts: 14
    google321 HB User
    Re: Should I choose Paxil or Remeron?

    How are ya? I am in the same boat as you. I have been on prozac, effexor, zoloft, lexapro, and now paxil cr. it is the best by far for anxiety. i actually have no sexual side effects. the worse in that department was lexapro. weight gain is minimal on paxil cr. however, it will probably happen.

     
    Old 05-02-2004, 11:49 PM   #3
    justfortoday
    Junior Member
     
    Join Date: Apr 2004
    Posts: 23
    justfortoday HB User
    Re: Should I choose Paxil or Remeron?

    Well from my experience on paxil I would tell anyone to never go on that drug, I have not idea about the other one that you mentioned though. Caused weight gain, hallucinations from waking, I often also could not tell my dreams from reality, no orgasms, forgetfullness and memory loss, addiction paxil withdraw!!!, etc.... Will never take it again and if you have the route to not take any ssri at all I would strongly consider it. Believe me, I have extreme social anxiety to the point where for years straight I did not speak unless spoken to and then only uttered the bare minimum but I still believe that I can overcome this with hard work. After my experience with ssri's I just have the gut feeling that they are not the first route someone should turn to even if the obstacles seem extreme. Good luck!

    [/QUOTE]Tim. 1:7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind

     
    Old 05-04-2004, 09:30 AM   #4
    annabelle1952
    Newbie
     
    Join Date: May 2004
    Posts: 2
    annabelle1952 HB User
    Re: Should I choose Paxil or Remeron?

    Dear Peaceseeker2,

    If I had it all to do over again, I would never in a million years take Paxil! I have been on it for about 5 or 6 years now. I have tried many times to get off it. I'm not sure if it is possible to get off the drug. I have tried to taper off very slowly and still I get swooshing in my ears, I'm dizzy, I'm nausiated, I have what feels like little electric shocks in my head and I just feel generally blah. And while on the drug there is absolutely no sex drive and I am so sleepy in the morning sometimes I don't hear my alarm clock. So I would be late for work.

    Sorry this is so long. I have strong feelings about the drug.

    annabelle1952

     
    Old 05-04-2004, 09:49 AM   #5
    Crossbow
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Jan 2004
    Posts: 1,191
    Crossbow HB User
    Re: Should I choose Paxil or Remeron?

    I LOVE PAXIL. It was the most effective antidepressant of the six I have tried. The reason most people hate and fear it is because there is about a 40% chance of having withdrawal from it, even if you miss only one dose. So it is NOT a good drug for people who have trouble taking their medication regularily. I only ever missed a dose once, and that was enough. Terrible withdrawal. But remember, 60% of the people who take it do not have that problem.

    However, it is also closely related to Celexa and Lexapro. I personally found it to be a LOT more effective than Lexapro, but I have not tried Celexa.

    I don't know anything about Remeron, though.
    __________________
    Choose the devil you don't know.

     
    Old 05-05-2004, 12:45 PM   #6
    luvmyboys
    Senior Member
     
    Join Date: Sep 2003
    Location: Illinois
    Posts: 268
    luvmyboys HB User
    Re: Should I choose Paxil or Remeron?

    I was on remeron for 5 months. It was so sedating in the beginning I slept for 3 days. Could not make myself wake up. People told me I ate and went to the bathroom, etc, but that's about it. The worst part was it was my son's 7th birthday and I was there and did all the normal stuff for it even took pictures. When I look at the pictures, I don't remember it at all. Remeron is the opposite of all other antidepressants. It is more sedating at lower doses than higher ones. They upped me from 15mg to 30mg. I was still soooooo tired, but the memory got a little better. Eventually I got used to it and had normal days, but mood swings were awful. I felt like I wanted to bite someone's head off. I was so crabby all the time. Then the restlessness started. I got to the point where I couldn't sit in a chair. I was pacing all day long. The doctor told me to go off of it immediately. He said you don't have to taper off remeron. Boy ws he wrong there!! I got deathly ill. I was in the hospital for a full week dehydrated and hyperventilating, panicking, shaking, sweating. I thought I was going to die. I had to take xanax to get through all that. It has been two years. The restlessness is just now starting to be less often than more often. I am still on xanax however. I went through many many many headaches. They too are just now starting to lessen in severity and how often. It was a huge nightmare for me. I have read other places though how some people love it. I did gain weight on it and I am underweight and have trouble gaining so it was good for me for that, but the way I gained it was through cravings of junk food. Not very healthy. I never tried Paxil because of the horror stories I've heard about it also.

    I guess everyone reacts differently to different meds and you won't know until you try one. I have tried many antidepressants. I can't get through the initial side effects and after remeron, I am basically scared to try anymore.

     
    Closed Thread

    Related Topics
    Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
    Any info on combining remeron with paxil? roger25 Depression 0 07-07-2008 09:59 AM
    Paxil or nothing?!! leoball80 Depression 10 07-22-2007 03:40 PM
    Paxil All-alone Depression 12 06-14-2006 03:23 PM
    For PMS-Depression, Should it be Paxil or Prozac? salty Women's Health 12 11-21-2005 08:24 PM
    better to take xanax when I need it, or to take paxil? bumblebee919 Anxiety 10 10-14-2005 11:48 AM
    any one take remeron with paxil cr? bossjoey Anxiety 4 01-10-2005 11:57 PM




    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off




    Sign Up Today!

    Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

    I want my free account

    All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:26 PM.





    2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved.
    Do not copy or redistribute in any form!