It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• Effexor Nightmare - Please Read

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-10-2006, 08:42 AM   #196
    deeffexoring
    (female)

deeffexoring HB User
    Re: Effexor Nightmare - Please Read

Oh SOE, Tell me how your friend is doing now and I'm praying it's much better. I'm hoping your friend lost the weight and is now doing fine. By the way, how are you doing? Working on 2 years! Is it safe to assume you keep improving? I have decided to stop at minus 90 beads from my 75mg tablets for a while... I have job interviews coming up and I'm expecting to start working again soon and can't afford any surprises....My weight is a constant battle....I'm exercising consistently now and I know if I don't I'll just keep gaining. Why do you think my weight began to increase at a faster rate once I began tapering???? This is just so horrible......

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-10-2006, 01:27 PM   #197
    SOE
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by deeffexoring
    Oh SOE, Tell me how your friend is doing now and I'm praying it's much better. I'm hoping your friend lost the weight and is now doing fine. By the way, how are you doing? Working on 2 years! Is it safe to assume you keep improving? I have decided to stop at minus 90 beads from my 75mg tablets for a while... I have job interviews coming up and I'm expecting to start working again soon and can't afford any surprises....My weight is a constant battle....I'm exercising consistently now and I know if I don't I'll just keep gaining. Why do you think my weight began to increase at a faster rate once I began tapering???? This is just so horrible......

Hi,

My friend is still 100+ overweight. She says she is taking 37.5 mg a day... doesn't want to get off. I think she's got that zombie thing going on and she still thinks she can lose the weight while on the drug... although obviously that is not happening.

I do feel better and better every day, but the weight loss is INCREDIBLY slow. Especially compared to how fast I gained. But I do believe that all the weight will come back off, I just have to be patient. I lost the first 20 pounds without really dieting so I believe that confirms the weight is drug related. Also -- it's no coincidence that I STOPPED gaining weight the very day I finished tapering off. Maybe I would lose faster if I actually "dieted". At the same time, I think slow is not a bad thing.

Oh... and I gained a fast 40 pounds DURING my tapering... I don't know what that is about -- but obviously it's related if it's happening to you as well.

And while I was on it, I was "dieting" and exercising... so I did not "eat my way" up the scale. I think if I had not done that, I would have gained far more weight than the 85-something pounds I did gain. Now I gained some of that on different ADs, and the last 60 pounds was all on the Effexor -- with me kicking and screaming the whole way. And I was on Wellbutrin (among other things) at various times while I was on the Effexor. Nothing stopped the weight gain.

I was working while I was tapering. It's one of the reasons I tapered so slowly. I only missed 2 days from the taper -- because I went a little too fast in one spot (when I got below the 37.5 mg).

I know you will get through this fine. You are very intelligent and determined... I know you will make it.

Old 07-10-2006, 01:58 PM   #198
    SOE
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hpe2bme_chick
    Glad to see someone who's had a positive experience with Effexor. A colleague gave me a sack full of Effexor samples, and I've yet to take them. But now at least I see that they've helped some and made life miserable for others. I do know that there is not a generic yet, and that studies are coming out recently about side effects, but doesn't every drug carry side effects? I think the only sensible way to deal with anti-depressants or any medication is to be completely honest with one's doctor and to perhaps keep a journal noting any "changes" that are of concern. Everyone responds so differently to any medicine that the only way to assure its helping you is to convey this to your doctor.
    Which post are you responding to?

Old 07-10-2006, 06:12 PM   #199
    deeffexoring
    (female)

deeffexoring HB User

Hey Again SOE,
    I'm impressed you managed to only miss 2 days during your taper. I can't imagine how many I would have missed had I been working over the last 5 months. I've learned to become a bit more patient and I won't rush myself to get off (though I really want off)
    This thread is very interesting. (I'll take time to read the whole thing as soon as possible)
    I'm glad you do see improvement and are feeling better each day. Now, I'll do my best to remain patient and keep a positive attitude.
    Thanks again for the encouragement.

Old 07-10-2006, 09:16 PM   #200
    J0J0
    Inactive

J0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB User

Wow ...I was reading throuh this thread....and my heart breaks for soooooo many of you....think the worse AD that I was on was prozac....it was the first one I was ever put on ...and I trusted the doctor...and can't remember if I read the side effects...and even if I had of ...most likely wouldn't of sunk in my head at the time....but no one told me NOT TO RUN OUT OF PILLS....I ran out for about 3 days and on the 3rd day sat in the middle of the kitchen floor rambling to myself..Man I wanted to kill myself and I couldn't stop that feeling...I was a mess...finally I got into my car grabbed my dog and drove to a spot and sat there and cried and cried and kept telling my self ...it is just the drug....I have done so called street drugs and prescrpiton drugs basically are the same....Your body and mind does get addicted to them...I was on Effexor for a few years...when I quit I just got off of them...I went cold turkey off of all the AD's i was on...just to get it over with....no way would I EVER take them again.....

GOOD LUCK TO ALL OF YOU....AND GOD BLESS!
    Like on post said....after all her family memebers had such a nightmare experience on these....boils down to ...LIFE SUCKS AT TIMES....

Hugs to you all......

Old 07-03-2007, 09:44 AM   #201
    mildred53
    (female)

mildred53 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by deeffexoring View Post

Last edited by mildred53; 07-03-2007 at 09:50 AM.

Old 07-03-2007, 09:49 AM   #202
    mildred53
    (female)

mildred53 HB User

I know what you mean. I have tried to get off of Effexor several times, but it was awful. I would hear sounds like a loud waterfall going off in my head. Or have unspeakable ideas. Therefore, I am still taking the drug, and am gaining weight.

Old 07-03-2007, 03:30 PM   #203
    Survivor3
    Veteran
    (male)

Survivor3 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sparrow999 View Post
    My doctor I guess was ignorant of the effects of Effexor withdrawal. I wish every doctor I had could go through this hell themselves. Really, I do. I want them to feel the agony because I don't think they can understand until they do. I haven't been ok since I got off of it and that was a year ago. You tell them "I had Effexor withdrawal" and they say "Oh yeah, you should really taper off" and just move on to something else.
    I hear ya.

Closed Thread