It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• Effexor Nightmare - Please Read

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-04-2004, 03:06 PM   #16
    Portia26

Portia26 HB User
    Re: Effexor Nightmare - Please Read

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crossbow
    I don't think Portia's objecting to the actual information, I think it's the "panicky" tone of the original post. But we get that a lot from people who have had really bad experiences with meds.
    Exactly right.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2004, 04:07 PM   #17
    Sandalla

Sandalla HB UserSandalla HB User

I make no apologies for the panicky tone of my original message. When one has been inflicted with this kind of sheer torment, and THERE ARE NO ANSWERS as to how, when, or IF it will end … well, “panic” actually seems a very lame word.

However … Portia, thank you for sharing. My heart goes out to you and it certainly gives insight into your feelings. I am sorry to have struck such a raw chord with you.

My story: I lost my mother to cancer after being her sole caregiver for over a year. At the same time I had to endure a very difficult and unhappy relationship with an emotionally unavailable partner. After I lost both my mother and my partner, I went looking for the quick fix … the “happy pill”, the “wonder drugs”.

It is only in retrospect that I realize what a huge mistake I made. I am less of a person now – in more ways than one – than I was while grieving my losses!

Tanis, what an awful story! I can relate 100%. Including the feeling of simply not caring. On Effexor I cared about no-one and nothing, I was emotionally DEAD. Thank goodness you have a happy ending.

I hope there are doctors paying attention to this site and taking heed. THESE DRUGS ARE NOT CANDIES!!! TREAT THE PERSON IN FRONT OF YOU. WE ARE PEOPLE, WE ARE ALL MULTI-FACETED INDIVIDUALS WITH DIFFERENT PROBLEMS AND DIFFERENT BODIES. FORGET YOUR "PROTOCOLS" ... LEARN FROM YOUR PATIENTS - WE HAVE LEARNED THE HARD WAY!!!

Old 05-04-2004, 08:06 PM   #18
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Hi Sandella,

When you were withdrawing from Effexor XR, from 300, what was the process you went through?

I've heard from many that you are to withdraw 10% of the original dosage (yours would be 30mg) over a period of time, then another 10% (30mg) etc.

How was it suggested for you to do it?

I've been on 75mg of Effexor XR for the past year and a half and have been grateful for it. I was on it the year before (37.5mg) for 6 months and didn't have any problems weaning off it.

But, others' experiences with being on medications is definitely part of the whole picture. One of the problems I believe is the short half life....that's why the withdrawing is difficult. 300mg is definitely one of the highest dosages I've seen.....why did your doctor warrant you to be on such a dosage?

Have you had the opportunity to grieve your mother's death?

All medications come with a multitude of potential problems and serious side effects including death. But, without some of the medications....??? I know the difference it made in my life. But, I don't have intentions on staying on it forever, but I will definitely take the withdrawing verrrrry slowly, that's for sure.

quincy

Old 05-04-2004, 10:35 PM   #19
    syzygy

syzygy HB User

I don't think it is fear mongering. Someone honestly relating their experience, informing others to think carefully before you try something you might regret is a good thing.

If you look in the PDR you will see that SSRIs have indeed caused an increase in depression and exacerbated psychosis in some documented cases. So the drugs DO have the potential to increase the Depression and psychosis that change who you are.

Old 05-05-2004, 08:54 AM   #20
    google321

google321 HB User

My dear, you are paranoid and if anything, need something much stronger than effexor. An a-typical antipsychotic such as abilify or seroquel would help you with your delusions.

Old 05-05-2004, 09:31 AM   #21
    Aries872
    Inactive

Aries872 HB User
    Angry Re: Effexor Nightmare - Please Read

I went through the same thing. The DRUGS is what makes us suicidal after coming off of them. How can you say that it is us? I wasn't suicidal when I went on the s***!!! Only when I came off of it did I experience that depth of a depression, EVER! So yes, I believe that the drug is what did it.

I went on xanax during the remainder of the withdrawal. Stopped taking that and didn't look back.

I am so ANTI, Antideppressant now!!!!

Aries872

Last edited by Aries872; 05-05-2004 at 09:31 AM.

Old 05-05-2004, 10:56 AM   #22
    mouse62
    Inactive

mouse62 HB User

Thank you for posting the information especially the theory about the liver enzyme. I have taken Prozac and stopped with no withdrawals. So these posts help me to understand how one person might have no withdrawals while the next might suffer terribly.

Old 05-05-2004, 12:38 PM   #23
    Heiewyn

Heiewyn HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by google321
    My dear, you are paranoid and if anything, need something much stronger than effexor. An a-typical antipsychotic such as abilify or seroquel would help you with your delusions.
    I really don't think that this forum was meant for sarcasm. Do you? People are here asking for help I think. Unless of course I am just being paranoid, and detected sarcasm when it wasn't really there at all.

Old 05-05-2004, 12:55 PM   #24
    Sandalla

To all of you who have been, or are now in my shoes, let’s take solace in the fact that this issue is now no longer simmering. It’s beginning to boil. Every day, as one horror story after another, after another, comes to light, we are getting that much closer to the truth being blown apart.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/HEALTH/parenting/04/16/antidepressants.children.ap/index.html

By the way, Google321, your mean spirited comment merits no response.

Heiewyn, you made me chuckle out loud! Good one!

Old 05-05-2004, 01:01 PM   #25
    Heiewyn

Heiewyn HB User

Hi Sandalla: I have no Idea how I am showing up as Heiewyn, I am Tanis. Heiewyn is my daughter and somehow our names are getting mixed up. Anyhow, I have some tapes that were sent to me by a radio program. They are all about this family of drugs. I would love for you to hear them. They also mention all of the killings (school, postal workers, etc...) and how these most of these people were on these drugs.

Old 05-05-2004, 01:05 PM   #26
    tanis

tanis HB User

Just testing. I think I found the problem. My daughter didn't log out and I didn't log in.

Old 05-05-2004, 01:33 PM   #27
    Sandalla

Hi Tanis. Firstly, let me start by saying how sad I was to read your story. I am soooo happy for you that you all pulled out of it in good shape! Believe me, if I'd had children, there would have been times I would've run to my nearest neighbours, BEGGING them to take them away from me!!! I have a dog (my late Mother's) who is my baby and my life, and who has been the best therapy anyone could ask for. I kicked him!!! And it all happens in a split second, with no impulse control, and for no good reason.

And that was when I knew I was into something very big and very terrifying.

I can just imagine what's on those tapes. I have stumbled upon, and listened/watched many, many different radio and TV broadcasts myself. All while trying to do my research on how to QUIT this rat poison. Quite honestly, it got to the point where I didn't need to hear any more. They are out there in abundance and are simply just too, too tragic!

And the saddest thing of all, from my perspective, is that this does NOT have to be happening!!! THE PANDORA'S BOX IS WIDE OPEN! Too many influential people are BLATANTLY aware of the shortcomings of these drugs. There is documented black and white proof! But they have too much to lose by standing apart from the crowd!

We live in very sad times. The drug cartels are simply too big and too powerful.

Thankfully, though, there are a number of professionals out there, who do have morals and ethics, and who are fighting with all their being to expose and STOP THIS INSANITY!!!

Old 05-05-2004, 01:58 PM   #28
    Portia26

Portia26 HB User
    Question Re: Effexor Nightmare - Please Read

Quote:
    Originally Posted by google321

Yeah, I agree. This kind of response is really uncalled for. Now, I was the first to respond to Sandalla's initial message, and trying to prevent people from being too fearful about these drugs. Unfortunately, I am starting to be fearful myself now. Mind you, this has happened to me before (as I have read about these claims many times before), and I have gotten over it. I am scared again though. If I haven't really had major problems with effexor or other SSRI's (have been on and off effexor for two and a half years, going off once for three months and noting only some realtively minor issues with anger and "brain zaps", and was on paxil in 1999 for 6 months with no problems at all), should I be worried? Will I be OK? I guess no one knows, but if it seems I have tolerated them well so far, does this mean I will in the future? I have been back on effexor now for 4 months after going off it in october and going back on in january. I am scared though. Do I have anything to be afraid of? This goes out to all who have tolerated it well for years now... I'd love to hear from you!!

Old 05-05-2004, 04:43 PM   #29
    Sandalla

I'm going to jump back in here, Portia. Again, I apologize a million times for hitting such a raw nerve with you. Let me admit to something here. While I was on a very low dose of Effexor, I did "poke around" a bit on the Net. It scared me!!! It scared me enough that I resolved NOT to allow myself to absorb myself in all this negative stuff.

Simply put, I CHOSE the ignorant, blind-folded route.

Perhaps that's why I'm venting so strongly here! I am now so angry with myself!!! I missed so many red flags along the way that could have saved me all of this agony.

I don't want my message to scare. I WANT PEOPLE TO JUST BE ALERT AND EDUCATED. If they can recognize the signs and pay attention, they can nip it in the bud, before they're told stories like they're "resistant to the drugs", or "the depression is worsening" or "your anxiety is coming out" and on and on and on ... and all the while ... up goes the doseage!!!!

You indeed, thankfully, do sound like one of the lucky ones. I cannot see why you would have difficulties now, having already been through non-eventful withdrawals yourself. And "if" ... hypothetically ... you were to encounter anything negative, you would be so far ahead of the game, and so educated, that you would know how to take care of yourself.

Old 05-05-2004, 04:48 PM   #30
    Sandalla

PS - My Dad was on Celexa for about a year, innocently quit cold-turkey and besides some dizziness and fatigue, he was fine. He has simply no idea what I'm going through. Don't be overly anxious!

Closed Thread