It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• Wellbutrin xl and soda pop

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-13-2004, 06:17 AM   #1
    chelespiglets

chelespiglets HB User
    Wellbutrin xl and soda pop

Hello,
    I was on effexor and paxil and zoloft all before. But went off because I was scared of all the side effects and withdrawal symptoms.

Well, yesterday I went to the doctor for thyroid tests and he said I should never stopped taken the effexor on my own. He was mad at me, (oh well) but anyway he told me to try Wellbutrin xl 150 mg once a day. I just started today. I read on the info sheet that you should limit caffeine. That is all I drink is Diet Soda pop. I drink about 4 to 6 cans a day.

Has anyone had any problems drink soda pop or coffee? ( I don't drink coffee) but was wondering if anyone has any problems with side effects.

Thanks, Chele'

Proud Retired Army Wife And Mother Of a Amry Man.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-13-2004, 08:56 AM   #2
    index.html
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

index.html HB User
    Re: Wellbutrin xl and soda pop

Since Wellbutrin is one of the more stimulating antidepressants, taking it and caffeine might increase your anxiety level. As far as I know, that' the only contraindication with the two.

Old 05-13-2004, 08:56 AM   #3
    index.html
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

index.html HB User

Since Wellbutrin is one of the more stimulating antidepressants, taking it and caffeine might increase your anxiety level. As far as I know, that's the only contraindication with the two.

Old 01-31-2006, 12:34 PM   #4
    joannben
    (female)

joannben HB User

I just started on Wellbutrin XL a week ago for depression. I've tried a lot of different medications over the years and was hoping to find one that didn't cause weight gain. The first few days on the Wellbutrin XL were terrible - incredibly jittery and I felt like I couldn't sit still. But I drink a lot of caffeine. After the first day I decided that since I was so jittery and felt like I had drank about a million bottles of Mountain Dew, maybe it would be a good idea to try to stop drinking caffeine. I drink 6-8 cans of pop a day, so this was a big switch for me. Well, I adjusted to the caffeine free pop and felt much better as far as the jitters are concerned. So today I decided to give the caffeinated a try again, just in case it was adjustment to the medicine and not the caffeine. I've only gotten through half a can and already the jitters are back. I feel so wired! I was just wondering if others have had this experience?? Also, my eyes have become incredibly dry since I've started on the Wellbutrin XL. Almost like my eyelids could just stick to my eyes. Anyone ever heard of this? Thanks!

Old 02-28-2010, 09:48 AM   #5
    miss noel
    (female)

miss noel HB User

im taking wellbutrin too and my blood pressure has sky rocketed. im only 17 an i had to go to the ER two nights ago because i took my blood pressure at walmart, and it was 201/123 and they thought it was because of the soda intake.

Old 02-28-2010, 10:24 AM   #6
    denise2648
    (female)

denise2648 HB User

I have been on Wellbutrin XL (300mg) over a year and never had any side effects. I started it on a Saturday and literally felt like a new person by Tuesday. I drink diet soda but not a lot and every so often will have regular soda, as well as expresso,etc. I have even had alcohol (lots! LOL) and no issues at all.

Old 03-02-2010, 11:22 AM   #7
    mams mom
    (female)

mams mom HB User

I have always had bad problems with other anit depressants. I woud get light headed, jitters, shakes, and almost vomiting from dizziness. I started welbutrin a month ago. All this time I was waiting to start having those same side affects but never had them. I am very grateful for this medicine. I think everyone is so different and once you do find that "one" medicine that fits you then you stick to it.
    As for as the soda, I would just really try to limit the amount that you take in. I know that when you've been in the same routine for months/years, and you really don't even want to change things, then you're thinking "why should I", but maybe with this medicine being an anti depressant then it will make it easier for you to limit yor caffeine. Catch what I'm saying? I really hope it works out for you either way!
    I feel so obligated to read every post on this site and pray for everyone cause I trully believe the power of prayer. You are on my list!

Closed Thread