It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• weight gain with prozac?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-18-2004, 05:11 AM   #1
    leeintx

leeintx HB User
    weight gain with prozac?

ive been on 20mg prozac for 3 1/2 months now. has anyone gained weight with prozac? ive noticed a couple of lbs extra since i have been on prozac...has anyone here gained weight on prozac? if i keep gaining weight i will stop takeing prazac...i have heard some people do and some have gained 80lbs.....what do yall think? thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-18-2004, 07:36 AM   #2
    Ava11

Ava11 HB User
    Re: weight gain with prozac?

I've been on Prozac for about 3.5 months also. At first I lost about 3lbs and now I've gained the 2-3lbs back but, no more than that. So far, so good but, I'm watching my weight regularly because I did gain a lot of weight in the past on both Paxil and Zoloft. I'm like you........if I begin to gain more I will stop the meds. I worked way to hard to get rid of all the weight (25lbs) that I gained from the others. I am hoping that this will be one SSRI that I won't gain on!!! Keep in touch and let me know how it's going!! Did you have insomnia in the beginning with Prozac? I had it really bad but, it seems to have gone away finally!!

Take care,

Ava

Old 05-18-2004, 07:17 PM   #3
    leeintx

leeintx HB User

AVA11---hey thanks for the info..you gained 25lbs on zolof? OMG!!!! how? did zolof make you eat? WOW! Prozac is ok so far but i have gained 5lbs and at first i lost 3 lbs and i havent changed my eating habbits at all im on 20mg. How long were you on zolof before you had a lot of weight gain? my friend is on zolof. my dr said that prozac will not make me gain weight. cause he knows that if it did i would not take it anymore. prozac has done wonders for me. i just dont want any weight gain..have you heard of anyone gaining weight on prozac? let me know!!thanks..how does all these antidepressents make people gain weight in the first place?

Old 05-19-2004, 06:17 AM   #4
    Ava11

Ava11 HB User

I'm not sure what happened with the other SSRI's. However, I think I've read that since they're processed in the liver they can do something to your metabolism. I went on the South Beach diet while I was off meds to lose all my weight. I'm hoping that between Prozac being a diff med and my new eating habits I can keep my weight where it is. I really don't remember how long I was on Zoloft before I started to gain weight but, it seems like I was on it for a while. At one point I was exercising 6 days/wk while on Zoloft and couldn't get the scale to go down AT ALL and that's when I knew it had to be the meds. I do not have a history with weight problems so I knew it had to be Zoloft.

Old 05-19-2004, 07:10 PM   #5
    leeintx

leeintx HB User

AVA11- hey there i called the pharmancy today and talked to the guy and he said that he has never heard of prozac makeing people gain weight, he said that zolof and paxil will make you gain weight. and that prozac doesnot have anything to do with your metabolisum.......i told him that i was gona stop them if they make me gain more weight and he said that prozac doesnot make you gain it is supposed to help obease people loose weight???????thats what he said! also he said that for me to not stop the pills that they have nothing to do with weight and i told him about my sex drive is gone and he said that prozac is bad for the sex drive..hey i can handle the sex drive just not the excess weight! i have heard a lot of people have gained weight from prozac like 10lbs in 3 months..i have only gained 5lbs in 3 1/2 months and it scares me but when i started takeing prozac i lost 3 or 4 lbs...so do you think prozac makes you gain weight? at this point i have no clue....let me know! wanted to let you know what i found out today! i know a lady thats been on prozac for 10yrs and never gained a pound.....she said that its all in the mind and that its up to you to eat a lot or not...im not to hungry on prozac..ok i will let you go..write back!

Old 05-20-2004, 06:11 AM   #6
    Ava11

Ava11 HB User

Great idea to call the pharmacy! It sounds like both of us have only gained back what we originally lost on the meds so, I'm going to try and continue to eat well and hope for the best. That would be great if we don't gain on Prozac!! Let's keep in touch with our progress!!

Take care!

Old 05-20-2004, 08:55 AM   #7
    takeaguess18
    (female)

takeaguess18 HB User

I raised this with my doctor a few weeks ago - I was on 20mg a day and I'd gained 12lbs in a few months. She said that it can make you gain weight, and in fact is sometimes used in anorexic patients, but at 60mg a day. And that whilst it *shouldn't* be noticable at 20mg, it IS possible. Then she doubled it to 40mg.

Last edited by takeaguess18; 05-20-2004 at 08:56 AM.

Old 05-20-2004, 09:10 AM   #8
    Ava11

Ava11 HB User

Sorry to hear about your weight gain! Did you gain the weight right away or after you had been on it for a few months??

Old 05-20-2004, 09:14 AM   #9
    takeaguess18
    (female)

takeaguess18 HB User

It kinda slowly crept on the whole time I was on it, so that I didn't really notice.

Old 05-20-2004, 05:36 PM   #10
    Lyli
    (female)

Lyli HB User

I have also gained weight while on Prozac (20 mg) Walking helps me, but I seem to have more of an appetite now.

Old 05-20-2004, 05:55 PM   #11
    Dolphin25

Dolphin25 HB User

I was also recently on prozac and had to discontinue due to side affects. Iwent from 135 to 166 in 3 months, I stopped and most was water gain and bloating. Still at 159. I changed to wellbutrin, ever tried it? It wr
    orks great without gaining weight or any extreme side affects. Good luck, talk to you doctor.

Old 05-25-2004, 05:08 AM   #12
    leeintx

leeintx HB User

why is it that people are gaining weight on these meds? does it make you eat more or what? some people told me they gain weight and some havent..so how do these have an effect on our weight?

Closed Thread