It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• How long did it take Lexapro to kick in for you??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-28-2004, 04:18 PM   #1
    buddha504

buddha504 HB User
    Question How long did it take Lexapro to kick in for you??

Anyone out there on lexapro for anxiety? How long did it take until you started feeling its affects? I started on 5 mg two weeks ago and am now up to 10 mg. So far I've had some restless nights and some fatigue, but nothing really therapeutic. Anyone experienced anything similar?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2004, 07:51 PM   #2
    Kevin72

Kevin72 HB User
    Re: How long did it take Lexapro to kick in for you??

I've been on it for 3 weeks and it is starting to work. A lot of my anxiety is not there anymore and I feel very good. I haven't really had any adverse side affects and I do sleep very well at night. I think after about 10 days I started to notice my mood was improving and my anxiety diminished. I started on 10mg and that's where I'm still at now. The doctor told me it would be 7-10 days before it "kicked in," whereas the people at Lexapro say it could be 4-6 weeks.
    So far so good with me and I hope you start to feel the same way if you don't already.

Old 05-29-2004, 01:12 AM   #3
    dolphinboy

dolphinboy HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kevin72
    I've been on it for 3 weeks and it is starting to work. A lot of my anxiety is not there anymore and I feel very good. I haven't really had any adverse side affects and I do sleep very well at night. I think after about 10 days I started to notice my mood was improving and my anxiety diminished. I started on 10mg and that's where I'm still at now. The doctor told me it would be 7-10 days before it "kicked in," whereas the people at Lexapro say it could be 4-6 weeks.
    So far so good with me and I hope you start to feel the same way if you don't already.
    God, I can only hope it goes even close to that way with me.

I have been "sick" for 15 years, some of them were decent, but the last 4 have been hell. I seemed to not be able to tolerate any of the meds and had pretty much given up hope until my dr. stuck a handful of samples in my hand and told me to give it a shot.

I literally started at 2.5 mg by cutting them into quarters and the side effects, even on that low of a dose were horrible. But I got some meds for the nausea and dizziness and fought through it going up to 5, then 7.5 and I've been on 10mg for 3 days now.

I can say that it's helped me sleep. That started right away and has continued most nights. However, getting up is the hardest things in the world. It was hard enough when I just didn't want to face the day, but this med surely makes it worse. That and libido problems are the only major issues that I've noticed on the negative side. But, considering the 100% lack of friends I have, it's not something I'm worried about at the moment.

I am waiting for it to "kick in", as it were. I am under instructions to go with the 10mg for 10 days, then up to 15 for 10 more, and, finally, at 20mg to see what happens. I pray, that like you, I get some relief. I wonder what it might feel like or if I'll suddenly notice it or if it's gradual.

But, other than the help with sleep, so far nothing else remarkable on the good side. But, I hoping, waiting, and praying. I don't have much choice, there's nothing left if this doesn't work.

Good luck with your anxiety.

Old 05-29-2004, 02:02 AM   #4
    GUSTAV

GUSTAV HB User

Greetings from Gustav,

Started LEXAPRO on April 13th at 10mg. My first anti-depressant. I was very badly depressed and I very badly wanted it to do something I knew was therapeutic. My wife has been on CELEXA 40mg for almost exactly 4 years so I pretty much knew what to look for it just was not happening, nothing, zilch. Went on increasingly frustrated for 6 days. I even took 2 doses on day 5 at the start and the end of the day hoping it would 'kick in' sooner.

At the tail-end of day 6 at bedtime my wife got home from her work and gave me some news that would have sent me into certain reactions pre-med.........and it did not. Wow. That was when my wife realized first that this was not a typical reaction or way of thinking for me. "You are right', I said. The official LEXAPRO website says that some people might experience therapeutic results after about 7 days. Was I one of them? I went to bed with some hope.

I woke up on day 7, the 19th and nothing has been the same since. The drug wonderfully addressed my longstanding, chronic major depression. The OCD would have to wait some weeks later for the upping to 20mg before it saw relief.

My doctor later said he did not think my 6/7 days reactions and ways of thinking were placebo stuff. He says this because I wanted to see the LEXAPRO 'kick in' so badly earlier and it did not do anything for me. If I had tried to be happy-happy before my revelation at bedtime on day 6 the real me would have gotten tired of trying to be happy-happy for so long and reverted to the normal pre-med me. Peace.

Old 05-31-2004, 07:32 PM   #5
    buddha504

buddha504 HB User

Thanks for all the responses. They were very helpful, and it is also good to feel that I am not alone. Hooray for the healthboards!

Gustav-- congrats to you for finding something that works for you. Is it still going well?

Kevin-- how is it working for you? Any more improvement?

Dolphin-- is it starting to work? I have also noticed that getting out of bed is nearly impossible. My body feels heavy and achey (sp?) in the morning and even after sleeping 9+ hours, I have to drag myself out of bed. Has that subsided at all for you?

Old 05-31-2004, 08:11 PM   #6
    GUSTAV

GUSTAV HB User

Greetings from Gustav,

Buddha, I am doing extremely well on the LEXAPRO. I almost feel guilty on this stuff because it has worked so well with so few startup and lasting side affects. And to add my first anti-depressant. I read all the agony and searching others do for a med that works and relief from illnesses and I see the contrast and it makes me feel bad sometimes.

I hope it kicks in for you soon and that the side affects resolve or are ones you can handle. If this stuff starts to work and you are still tired, try adding WELLBUTRIN to the mix. This picks a lot of people up. Or just try it by itself. Or you might think about some energy supplements high in B vitamins.

Don't ever give up searching for what you need in relief. I know by reading others posts that sometimes it gets old and frustrating. BUT NEVER, EVER GIVE UP!! It is truly life changing to find relief from anxiety, panic, depression. Whatever our own individual illness is, as my wife and I can tell you, the relief is worth the wait (about 35 years in my case and about 25 years in my wifes case.) With most people they do not hit the jackpot the first time out like us two, instead they spend time searching for the right med, but DON'T GIVE UP. O.K. Buddha? Peace to you.

Old 05-31-2004, 10:22 PM   #7
    dolphinboy

dolphinboy HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by buddha504

Dolphin-- is it starting to work? I have also noticed that getting out of bed is nearly impossible. My body feels heavy and achey (sp?) in the morning and even after sleeping 9+ hours, I have to drag myself out of bed. Has that subsided at all for you?
    No, it hasn't gotten better. I have not had the med "kick in" as people have described, yet. It's been only 6 days on 10 mg, though. Soon I will go to 15 mg for 10 days, and then to 20 mg, where I am more hopeful of seeing it help because of the severity of my problems and how long I've had them.

I am a very good person to look to for side effects, because I am HORRIBLY sensitive and haven't been able to tolerate anything for over 10 years until Lexapro.

The good so far is that I fall alseep at night, usually within 30 minutes, which was unheard of around here for many years and sleeping pills and Xanax didn't help, so it's the Lexapro.

The negatives so far are minor to major stomach problems, usually minor and major maybe once a week, twice at most. I do, however take a stomach med every day as a preventitive. Libido is down and there is no doubt that it's a side effect of the med and it's actually pretty impressive how much it effects it, because I am a man I can't believe how I don't even think about it now. I am not worried about this, as the reward of the medication possibly working is just too great and if it works, I'll worry about sex when sex is available, you know?

I've gained maybe 3 pounds, so that hasn't been an issue and I do find that I have a strange feeling headache that is hard to describe. But, the waking up in the morning is still the mother of all side effects, so far. When you combine the depression and the med, I can sleep 12 hours! And it "hurts" just trying to shake it off.

Again, if the med helps me to be happy, less anxious, and function in the world, I'd still take it and worry about the morning feeling and what to do about it then. Certainly, just feeling happy again might make me want to fight past the sleepiness in the morning, but now I don't have the desire to fight it, because the day offers me nothing but gloom anyway.

Hope it works for you.

Old 06-01-2004, 03:27 PM   #8
    buddha504

buddha504 HB User

gustav-- thanks for the words of encouragement. i need them!

dolphin boy-- i hope it starts to get better for you. it seems that you've had some relief though, no? you're sleeping better (in fact, too well, as i am so that's something, right? i'm still also waiting for the truly benefical affects-- so far i've noticed that i've gained three lbs, have no interest in sex, am tired alot, have some jaw clenching, and once in awhile i feel like it's possible that i might feel slightly less anxious, but i've definitely had no feelings of being transformed, as gustav has. but i'm going to hang in there-- i recall that when i went on paxil about a year and a half ago, the first several weeks to a month were pretty miserable-- i remember being very tired all the time. then thigns started to change and paxil was truly wonderful for awhile. before i got fat, that is anyway, hang in there!

Old 06-02-2004, 07:02 PM   #9
    Kevin72

Kevin72 HB User

Buddha--
    It's going very well, a month now on 10mg. One thing I noticed is that my mood is very much improved and I'm more upbeat especially at work. I feel more focused talking to people as well and some of the tramatic events going on in my life right now I am able to deal with and not feel sad and depressed. Also I used to get pretty anxious while driving on the freeway or in heavy traffic, and that is basically gone. I don't worry as much and let my thoughts get out of control like I have in the past, leading to high anxiety levels. Basically it has taken the edge off. I used to rate my anxiety levels from 1-10, 10 being the worst and 5 would be fairly uncomfortable--and I can honestly say over the past few weeks I haven't even broken a 3.
    Stick with it. I haven't had problems with side affects either. I'm sleeping well, working hard and really starting to enjoy life. Hope it works for you and everyone else.

Old 06-03-2004, 01:53 AM   #10
    dolphinboy

dolphinboy HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kevin72
    Buddha--
    It's going very well, a month now on 10mg. One thing I noticed is that my mood is very much improved and I'm more upbeat especially at work. I feel more focused talking to people as well and some of the tramatic events going on in my life right now I am able to deal with and not feel sad and depressed. Also I used to get pretty anxious while driving on the freeway or in heavy traffic, and that is basically gone. I don't worry as much and let my thoughts get out of control like I have in the past, leading to high anxiety levels. Basically it has taken the edge off. I used to rate my anxiety levels from 1-10, 10 being the worst and 5 would be fairly uncomfortable--and I can honestly say over the past few weeks I haven't even broken a 3.
    Stick with it. I haven't had problems with side affects either. I'm sleeping well, working hard and really starting to enjoy life. Hope it works for you and everyone else.
    I used to rate my panic attacks too. A 10 was also the worst, but it also meant a sure trip to the ER because there was no stopping it and it really felt to me like I was dying. A high 9 would be like a 50-50 shot of me holding it off and so forth down.

After a while, the panic attacks and anxiety became a part of who I was/am and I didn't so much have attacks as I was constantly anxious and worried and couldn't use the scale as much. I also isolated myself and, therefore, the higher level "attacks" out of the blue were less likely because I was in a safety zone at home. Now, I'd say that I have a 10 maybe once every couple of years, where once it was several times a year with lots of 8's and 9's too.

But, do you rate your depression as well? For many years with me, I was never really sure that I was depressed and I didn't feel sad. Maybe it was denial or just that I was young enough to still have hope. So for the majority of the time, my problems were all about anxiety and worries. But now it's more about the depression and the jury is out on how much anxiety plays a part in my life. I would rate my usual daily depression in the high 9's and maybe 10 in general. It's pretty bad. I suppose for me to even find out if the anxiety is getting better, I'd have to get less depressed, so that I'd go out more and see if I had anxiety and panic attacks like I used to.

So, with the fact that I'm not out much, I'd say my constant anxiety level is in the high 6's and 7's and my depression is high 9's and 10. I've been on lexapro for over a month, but I started VERY low because of a history of being hypersensitive to side effects. I'll have been on 10 mg for 10 days on Friday. Then it will be 15 mg for 10 days and then 20 mg for a month or as long as my doctor feels its worth trying. I don't think he'll go higher if things don't get better at 20 mg.

Other than it helping me fall asleep by a) making me feel sleepy and b) stopping some of the endless "chatter" in my brain that kept my rolling around until I'd pass out usually after dawn, I haven't seen any other improvements yet. I really, really want it to work and I don't have a set belief that it won't that could sabotage the treatment. But, still I don't see much changing and I wonder if I should feel more, if it's too early, or if I won't get help until I'm at 20 mg for some time. I don't know. I would say that both my panic/anxiety and depression numbers are the same. Nothing worse, nothing better.

Good luck to you.

Old 06-04-2004, 07:19 PM   #11
    Dreamer3866

Dreamer3866 HB User

Buddha,

For me it took a good 8-10 weeks at 10mgs so have faith. Also realise that if it doesn't work there are a lot of others out there that may.
    I have been badly depressed for 14 years now and give up the number of times I've thought about ending it all. Only that isn't the answer because I've seen how badly people are hurt when something like that happens plus I have a daugter to look after and I could NEVER put her through something like that!

Like you I have such trouble in the mornings!! Getting up is all but impossible at times even after 9-11 hours of sleep. I hate being like this!
    Take care and hope the Lexapro helps you!

Sammy.

Last edited by Dreamer3866; 06-04-2004 at 07:20 PM. Reason: left out a word

Closed Thread