It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• Has anyone tried SAM-e the "no sexual side effect" anti-depressant?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-24-2004, 03:19 AM   #1
    JNanas

JNanas HB User
    Has anyone tried SAM-e the "no sexual side effect" anti-depressant?

I have heard about SAM-E a couple of months ago. I was told it is an over-the-counter vitamin that when taken correctly, it had antidepressant properties without any sexual side effects. I started with NatureMade SAM-e 200mg Twice daily, a half hour or more before eating food. It seemed to work for the first week-week and a half then i seemed to be getting used to it, so i went onto 400mg twice daily. From what i read, it has been tested and is safe up until 1600mg daily so I wasnt afraid to double the dosage i was on. Once again, after a couple of days of changing my dose, i felt good, but a week and a half later, it felt as if i was getting used to it and the antidepressant properties were starting to fade. I went up to 600mg twice a day. Same thing happened. Felt good, after a week and a half, it started to fade. One complaint I had about SAM-e is that i felt a bit agitated, on edge. It really didnt have any sexual side effects though, so I did enjoy the time i was on it. Ultimately, I went back to my 10mg Lexapro, back to the sexual side effects but no agitation. Has anyone had any success on SAM-e? If i would have went the 800mg twice daily, would it have faded in a week and a half, or would I have been taking so much of it, its anti-depressant properties would have remain consistent? I have chronic fatigue syndrome, which i rely on anti-depressants to make me feel normal. Without antidepressants i feel like i am doped up on some drug. I will do anything to feel better without sexual side effects.

Last edited by JNanas; 06-24-2004 at 03:21 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread