It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• Have to switch from Lexapro to Celexa (insurance reasons)...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-24-2004, 01:52 PM   #1
    Kevin72

Kevin72 HB User
    Question Have to switch from Lexapro to Celexa (insurance reasons)...

I've been on Lexapro for 7 weeks now, and when I went to get my perscription filled for the month they said that my insurance company doesn't cover Lexapro but covers Celexa in full ( I already had 45 days worth of free samples from the doc). So I ended up paying for this month's supply of Lexapro since I was completely out and didn't have a doctor's appointment for another 2 weeks. The pharmacist said that Celexa is basically the same thing and recommended telling my doctor to have me switch so I get it for free.

Anyone see any issues with this, going from one to another? Lexapro has been very good to me with basically zero side effects and I'm reluctant to change meds, but don't want to drop $40-$50 every month for them either. Plus if they're in the same ssri family, then there shouldn't be any cause for concern--should there? The reason my insurance company won't cover it is they have some sort of deal with Celexa--go figure.

Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-24-2004, 02:00 PM   #2
    thicky
    Inactive

thicky HB User
    Re: Have to switch from Lexapro to Celexa (insurance reasons)...

To my knowledge Lexapro and Celexa are alomost the same thing... The are very similar in nature.

I would give it a try and see how it goes!

Old 06-24-2004, 03:08 PM   #3
    Stcy

Stcy HB User
    Arrow Re: Have to switch from Lexapro to Celexa (insurance reasons)...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kevin72
    I've been on Lexapro for 7 weeks now, and when I went to get my perscription filled for the month they said that my insurance company doesn't cover Lexapro but covers Celexa in full ( I already had 45 days worth of free samples from the doc). So I ended up paying for this month's supply of Lexapro since I was completely out and didn't have a doctor's appointment for another 2 weeks. The pharmacist said that Celexa is basically the same thing and recommended telling my doctor to have me switch so I get it for free.

Anyone see any issues with this, going from one to another? Lexapro has been very good to me with basically zero side effects and I'm reluctant to change meds, but don't want to drop $40-$50 every month for them either. Plus if they're in the same ssri family, then there shouldn't be any cause for concern--should there? The reason my insurance company won't cover it is they have some sort of deal with Celexa--go figure.

Thanks.
    Kevin ~
    I took Celexa for 4 years. Its a good SSRI. Lexapro IS Celexa -- its just a new and improved Celexa. I dont see that you would have any problems switching. I am sure your dr will tell you this but one thing to know is that you will probably have to take more of the Celexa than you did of the Lexapro cause the Lexapro is stronger. Thats too bad that your insurance is doing that -- just when you think things are starting to go good -- insurance sucks sometimes, and this is coming from an insurance agent!! Anyway, whatever you end up doing ... good luck!!! Please keep us updated!

Old 07-19-2004, 08:02 PM   #4
    RiRi12

RiRi12 HB User

You may have no problem with the new drug, but if you were happy with the results of the other one, the pharmacist has no right to tell you to tell your doc what to prescribe. That's your doc's job. If he feels or if you can convince him (or her) to tell your insurance company (he/she may have to write a letter), they will have to cover it. Preferred brand or not. For example, my father couldn't take a certain cholesterol med, the one he is able to take wasn't covered. The dr contacted the insurance co. and they cover his med now.

Old 07-19-2004, 08:17 PM   #5
    LovesTeaching
    (female)

LovesTeaching HB User

Hi Kevin,

I was wondering if you made the switch and if you had any problems? I may be changing from Lexapro to Celexa as well. I spoke to my doc on the phone a little while ago to discuss my side effects. He said that Celexa is available in an elixer, which may be easier on my stomach than the Lexapro.

Hope you're doing well!

Old 07-20-2004, 10:34 AM   #6
    Kevin72

Kevin72 HB User

I haven't switched and won't be. I went to the doctor and told him I had to pay for a month's worth of Lexapro out of pocket, but Celexa is covered by my insurance. He gave me like 7 weeks of samples for free. He said going from Lexapro back to Celexa would be like going from driving a brand new car to an older used car, and that Lexapro is an improvement on Celexa.
    Actually all of this is moot anyway since my divorce will be final soon and I changed providers and I'm sure the one I'm going to will cover Lexapro. I plan on weening myself off it over the next few months however.

Old 07-21-2004, 07:28 AM   #7
    thicky
    Inactive

thicky HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kevin72
    I haven't switched and won't be. I went to the doctor and told him I had to pay for a month's worth of Lexapro out of pocket, but Celexa is covered by my insurance. He gave me like 7 weeks of samples for free. He said going from Lexapro back to Celexa would be like going from driving a brand new car to an older used car, and that Lexapro is an improvement on Celexa.
    Actually all of this is moot anyway since my divorce will be final soon and I changed providers and I'm sure the one I'm going to will cover Lexapro. I plan on weening myself off it over the next few months however.
    All I have to say is, DIVORCE SUCKS.

Closed Thread