It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• Trying to stop effexor....HELP!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-28-2004, 10:28 PM   #1
    JNanas

JNanas HB User
    Trying to stop effexor....HELP!

I have been taking 75mg of Effexor XR for 2-3 weeks. I take effexor to try and fight off the effects of chronic fatigue syndrome. It helps you regain more energy and gets rid of the feeling like your on drugs. I am going to europe for a vacation in a week and a half which is the reason why i wanted to stop. Effexor's sexual side effects are noticable, and it gives me tachicardia (high pulse) while i am on it. I tried to stop three-four days ago and I felt the muscle spasms that feel like electrodes are shocking you occasionally. I felt nauseated, and i was an insomniac before Effexor, trying to stop effexor I couldnt go to sleep at all, and when i would finally knock out i would be asleep for four hours, instead of my usual 8-9 hours. The nausea really does help me since i'm trying to stop smoking, i look at a cigarette and i feel sick, but the same happens when i look at food so i guess it isnt helping me. My question is, since i have been taking a low dose of Effexor, for only 2-3 weeks, how long will my withdrawal symptoms last? Do you think they will be gone by the time I take my vacation to europe in a week and a half from now? I dont want to catch a heart attack on the airplane, or start freaking out from the muscle spasms or the nausea. Should i continue it until i reach europe and try to stop it there? Are there any tricks to combating the withdrawal effects? I was thinking of switching to SAM-E, the quote unquote sexual side effect free, natural anti-depressant. Has anyone ever tried it? Any info would be helpful, thanks alot.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-28-2004, 11:14 PM   #2
    healthseeker
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

healthseeker HB User
    Re: Trying to stop effexor....HELP!

Your post sounded like you are quitting the effexor because of the trip? I'm confused...or is it because you do not like the drug itself? I was on effexor a few years ago and it is concidered to be a really good one although I didn't like the druggy feeling it gave me (it is really hard to put into words). I also have been tried on many diff. kinds of antidepressants and I will tell you that the SAMe wins by miles!!!!!! There are NO side effects and it works almost immediately. I have had much success with it and know several people that have too. Hope that helps!

Last edited by healthseeker; 06-28-2004 at 11:23 PM.

Old 06-29-2004, 12:09 AM   #3
    JNanas

JNanas HB User

Effexor works for me, but i hate the side effects it gives me, also it makes me feel very different when i mix it with alcohol, and considering i'm 20 years old, alcohol consumption is common on the weekends, also the sexual side effects are bad, mixed with alcohol they are horrid. Considering i'm single, i'd like to go to europe and make sure i can perform sexually on my vacation. I have tachycardia and high blood pressure, a dangerous mixture due to antidepressants and lack of exercise but i'm not really overweight, 185lbs at 5'10". As far as SAM-E goes, how many miligrams were you taking, what kind of depression are you diagnosed with? Also, can you throw me your E-Mail address so i can talk to you a bit more in depth about SAM-e? I have asked questions on this board and the Chronic Fatigue Syndrome about SAM-E and i havent gotten any responses.

Last edited by JNanas; 06-29-2004 at 01:11 AM.

Old 06-29-2004, 06:21 AM   #4
    caregiver

caregiver HB User

I was on Effexor for over a year, while my husband was dying and then after to help get me through the grief. It took a good three months to get off of it with the doc monitering my effects. My biggest one was the muscle spasms that feel like the shock. (I am sooo glad I have read others having this effect, my mother thought it was in my head) Is a doctor helping you with stopping the drug?

Everyone is different but it took me about a month for the side effects to pass

Old 06-29-2004, 02:13 PM   #5
    JNanas

JNanas HB User

I dont go to see a psychiatrist, i see an immunologist because chronic fatigue syndrome isnt exactly a form of depression, although there are similarities with symptoms. With depression, there is either a chemical imbalance, or something traumatic happened, with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, you feel the effects of depression, for no reason whatsoever. I see my immunologist once every three months just to give status reports of how i am doing, and to get an updated prescription due to the fact that i really am not depressed in the emotional sense, but i do feel the cloudy-head feeling of being depressed, feeling like your intoxicated and tired. I havent told her that I want to quit effexor. I read on the effexor do's and dont's post of taking 75mg, then taking 37.5mg, then cutting it in half, and then cutting it in 1/4ths. Is that a good way of stopping effexor?

Last edited by JNanas; 06-29-2004 at 02:17 PM.

Old 06-29-2004, 08:52 PM   #6
    peaceseeker2
    (male)

peaceseeker2 HB User

Hello. I thought I would just put in my two cents worth in on this one. I was on Effexor XR for several months. When it was time for me to switch to a different antidepressant, it took me about a month to get off of the Effexor XR. I was at 300 mg., then went down to 225 for one week, then 150 for one week, then 75 for one week, and finally, was at 37.5 mg. for one week before stopping totally. If you want to stop the Effexor XR, you should contact your doctor, ask him for a prescription for Effexor XR 37.5 mg and taper off of it. That should drastically reduce your side effects.

Old 06-30-2004, 09:56 PM   #7
    JNanas

JNanas HB User

To Healthseeker: How many miligrams have you used for SAM-E?

Just out of curiosity, if i switch over to lexapro or something else other than Effexor while i'm trying to wean off of Effexor, will i still get the muscle spasms that feel like electric jolts, regardless what other pills i'm taking to try and get through the withdrawal period?

Old 07-01-2004, 08:13 PM   #8
    Sandalla

Sandalla HB UserSandalla HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by peaceseeker2
    Hello. I thought I would just put in my two cents worth in on this one. I was on Effexor XR for several months. When it was time for me to switch to a different antidepressant, it took me about a month to get off of the Effexor XR. I was at 300 mg., then went down to 225 for one week, then 150 for one week, then 75 for one week, and finally, was at 37.5 mg. for one week before stopping totally. If you want to stop the Effexor XR, you should contact your doctor, ask him for a prescription for Effexor XR 37.5 mg and taper off of it. That should drastically reduce your side effects.
    Wow! Very fast withdrawal!!! You don't mention how you felt, but it sounds like you sailed through? Very lucky!!! I went down by 37.5mg weekly and at the 37.5mg mark, I went through sheer hell. Had to stay put on that dose for 3 months. Only starting to taper again now. Not so sure I'd recommend this fast of a pace!!!

Old 07-01-2004, 11:36 PM   #9
    Goreficacion

Goreficacion HB User

I've been on effexor for about two years, and despite the changes in my outlook on life, I sleep about 12-13 hours a day. If I miss just one day of effexor I get violently ill, so good luck on getting off of it. It should be done very gradually. Effexor makes me exhausted constantly, and I feel as though I have no personality sometimes. I can't wait to finally make the transition off of it completely.

Closed Thread