It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• Should I take Lexapro?? I had a terrible Effexor Experience, now am scared....

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-14-2004, 02:23 PM   #1
    MissGooberLynn

MissGooberLynn HB User
    Unhappy Should I take Lexapro?? I had a terrible Effexor Experience, now am scared....

I am going through a horrible effexor withdrawl. Basically this medication destroyed my mind and body. I went from being depressed to madly suicidal while on this medication, and when I got more depressed they just increased me dosage which made me worse. The dr finally admitted that Effexor can have very negative effects on certain individuals. He never explained before prescribing me the medication that the whithdrawl is absolute hell.
    I am sick of antidepressants. They have destroyed my ability to read, to concentrate, my sex drive, all of my creative impulses. Now my new psychiatrist wants me to take Lexapro as I am coming off the Effexor. I almost burst out crying telling him how these antidepressants have destroyed me, and how I am going back to school and I cant concentrate on these drugs, but he just said that "with your history of depression, you will probably always be on antidepressats." He said that going on the Lexapro while I am detoxing from the Effexor will make the Effexor withdrawl better, which I am fine with, but I dont want to take this medication long term, or really at all.
    Can anyone help me PLEASE? I dont know what to do.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2004, 02:40 PM   #2
    thicky
    Inactive

thicky HB User
    Re: Should I take Lexapro?? I had a terrible Effexor Experience, now am scared....

Wow... Sorry to hear about the adverse side effects!

There are MANY MEDS and they work REALLY WELL...

I think Exeffor or whatever is a MAOI or something while Lexapro is a SSRI...

Totally different type of med...

Giver a try... Only way to find the RIGHT MED is trail and error (unfortunately)!

Took me 4 years till I found PAXIL...

Hang in there!

Old 07-14-2004, 03:59 PM   #3
    MissGooberLynn

MissGooberLynn HB User
    Re: Should I take Lexapro?? I had a terrible Effexor Experience, now am scared....

My main reason for not wanting to take Lexapro is that not matter what antidepressant I have been on, they have lessened my short term memory and ability to concentrate. I need to go back to college, and I can not taken any medication that will have this effect. I would rather be slightly more depressed and be able to go to school then feel a little better and not be able to succeed in my studies. I am also a bulimic and feel that medication may very well not be the answer. I feel that intensive therapy may be more of the solution. I am surely not as depressed when my ED is in remission. I just feel that Doctors have always felt that I NEED to be pumped full of antidepressants and haven't listened when I have said I Want OFF of them to see if therapy by itself is the answer. I mean, who wants to be on mind altering meds if they aren't helping, are possibly hurting?

Old 07-14-2004, 06:52 PM   #4
    John KD C

John KD C HB User

Hey Goober
    I have had an experience with being over medicated, and umm had a bad experience on Prozac which sounds very similar to yours. Completely foggy daze, and just these suicidal impulses i did not understand I would just be driving and think 'I'm going to crash the car' 'But I don't want to' 'yes you do' and so on I came very close to having a bad accident at one point but luckily the car had new tires otherwise it could of been bad. Anyway blabbering a bit here.
    I just stopped taking the prozac once I realised I was better before taking it. Then I went onto zoloft which for some reason does nothing much for me. Ended up seeing a really incompetent psychiatrist who diagnosed me as bi-polar and pumped me full of everything in her arsenal. That was truly the most horrible experience of my life.
    Anyway after 5 months of that I went to see my old psychiatrist again who really sorted me out. The reason I stopped seeing him was I was going through a messy break-up and I felt more comfortable talking to a woman about it... anyway he got me to step down gradually off the drugs and wanted to see how I went med free for a bit, I was a lot better without all those drugs but after a month I wanted an anti-depressant again as christmas was coming up and I just wanted to be getting better for that. I read about lexapro and asked him about it. He had sample packs it had not come on the market in australia yet (this was end of 2003) and he said that he didn't have much experience treating patients with it yet Just one other, I said I was willing to give it a try.
    The first dose was incredible, it gave me some immediate relief then a night of insomnia and then it just started to settle down. It took a while for it to really start working and I find I really like to drink more alcohol on it. Which isn't good so I"m really careful of that otherwise it won't work. But I can say for me 7 months on life is good and that's partly due to lexapro but also a few good self help books a really supportive mother and family and a good psychiatrist.
    I think that you should see another psychiatrist if this guy isn't working out for you.
    Hope some of this helps I know how hard it can get.

Old 07-15-2004, 09:11 AM   #5
    thicky
    Inactive

thicky HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MissGooberLynn
    My main reason for not wanting to take Lexapro is that not matter what antidepressant I have been on, they have lessened my short term memory and ability to concentrate. I need to go back to college, and I can not taken any medication that will have this effect. I would rather be slightly more depressed and be able to go to school then feel a little better and not be able to succeed in my studies. I am also a bulimic and feel that medication may very well not be the answer. I feel that intensive therapy may be more of the solution. I am surely not as depressed when my ED is in remission. I just feel that Doctors have always felt that I NEED to be pumped full of antidepressants and haven't listened when I have said I Want OFF of them to see if therapy by itself is the answer. I mean, who wants to be on mind altering meds if they aren't helping, are possibly hurting?
    True Dat

I see where you are coming from... If you believe Talk Therapies may be of more value, then do what you gotta do...

Hang in there!

Old 07-17-2004, 10:18 PM   #6
    lori j
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lori j HB User

I have also experienced short term memory loss & I have been on only tricyclic anti-depressants. I cannot tolerate the ssri's. I think most ad meds have that as a side effect, unfortunately.

Old 07-18-2004, 03:41 PM   #7
    Spirits50
    (female)

Spirits50 HB User

Hi,
    I too had horrible side effects with effexor, although they did not show up for several months and then landed me in the hospital with seizures which lasted for nearly a year after. My situation is different. I went completly drug for after that for about a year or so, then went back to seek help once again. I was put and Paxil, and did okay but then..it stopped working, it was then I tried Lexapro, I really must say it did help, unfortunatly it got a point where they could not up the dose, and although I was feeling okay, I felt that I still was not where I needed to be. So my doctor took me off that and put me back on Paxil...and UGH! now I cannot tolerate that. So I now want to go back to Lexapro, but have fears of adverse reactions now that I have been off it for awhile...I can say I would give it it try because I had absolutly no side effects what so ever from the Lexapro..
    Don't know if I was any help, but I know how you feel..

Pam

Closed Thread