It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• Effexor XR-- has anyone had any GOOD experiences with it?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-22-2004, 05:00 AM   #1
    Lady_Raven

Lady_Raven HB User
    Effexor XR-- has anyone had any GOOD experiences with it?

So far I've heard nothing about Effexor XR. My doctor took me off of zoloft because I was gaining too much weight and said the effexor could help. I've already started taking it but it would be really encouraging to hear some positive feedback about the drug. Anyone??? I'm getting desperate!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-22-2004, 07:15 AM   #2
    auntchilada
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

auntchilada HB User
    Re: Effexor XR-- has anyone had any GOOD experiences with it?

I take it for anxiety and panic attacks (not depression), and it has been amazing for me! There are tons of negative opinions of this med online. Try to ignore those and see how it works for you first.

Old 07-22-2004, 07:53 AM   #3
    caregiver

caregiver HB User

I took it while my husband was ill and dying and for about a year after.

It worked great for me! I did have that kind of electrical zap feeling some people have mentioned and that was rather irritating but it really did help me quite a bit.

The problem came when I wanted to get off it. Like most other anti-depressent it had to be done gradually. Took me 4 months!

Old 07-22-2004, 01:12 PM   #4
    DKScully
    (female)

DKScully HB UserDKScully HB User
    Lightbulb Re: Effexor XR-- has anyone had any GOOD experiences with it?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lady_Raven
    So far I've heard nothing about Effexor XR. My doctor took me off of zoloft because I was gaining too much weight and said the effexor could help. I've already started taking it but it would be really encouraging to hear some positive feedback about the drug. Anyone??? I'm getting desperate!
    Hi there! I'm pasting below what I wrote about effexor XR elsewhere on this board -- my experience with anti-depressants is limited compared to most people here, I guess, and effexor has been good and bad for me. Sometimes I think I'm too self-aware to really get a clear idea of what these drugs are doing for me. Anyway, here's what I wrote about effexor if you haven't read that thread already:

Hi there. About three months ago, I weaned off of zoloft, which wasn't doing anything for me and never did during the three months I took it, and switched to effexor xr (took 37.5 mg for a week, then went up to 75 mg). After a couple months, I felt like the 75 mg was helping me slightly, but not too much, and I was having trouble sleeping. My doctor increased my dosaged to 150 mg, and also put me on 25 mg of elavil to help me go to sleep at night. I'm still having a little trouble falling asleep, but less so, and the 150 mg of effexor seems to help more, but I'm still suffering from some anxiety. And I kind of feel numb sometimes, like I know something should upset me, and I'd almost rather I'd burst into tears like I would have pre-effexor, but now I just wonder if I'll explode...

No weight gain from zoloft or effexor so far, but I've heard it doesn't affect weight in some people until they've been on it for a year or so.

Oh, also, although I've always had some issues with anxiety and depression, things got worse when I went on Yasmin28 (the birth control pill). My doctors have told me I have PMDD, and I'm hoping that when I go off Yasmin, I'll feel the full effect of the Effexor.

Good luck to you!

Oh wait, one more thing -- probably the biggest difference I've noticed in myself since going on effexor is I have become much more outgoing. Before effexor, though I wouldn't think I was suffering from social anxiety disorder or anything, I just couldn't speak out in front of people. Thoughts would go through my head that I wanted to share in classes and such, and I just couldn't get up the courage to say what I was thinking. After I started effexor, professors commented that my class participation improved drastically. In social situations, I've started to speak my mind a lot more (sometimes a good thing, sometimes not so much). Overall, however, I consider this a good thing.

I guess, in conclusion, until I go off the birth control, at least, I feel like effexor is helping me FUNCTION better, but I'm not sure I feel too much better. If that makes any sense?

Old 07-22-2004, 02:34 PM   #5
    burg
    (male)

burg HB User

removed post, not applicable

Last edited by burg; 11-05-2007 at 02:47 PM. Reason: removed post, not applicable

Old 07-22-2004, 03:17 PM   #6
    nobodyimportant

nobodyimportant HB User

at first it seemed to help. i could feel it actually working in my head and stirring up activity..which it hadn't for a long time.. and my mood felt elevated. that was 5 years ago. but then as they raised the dosage..i just felt all drugged out and like a zombie. and when a dose wears off..the electrical shocks (zaps) come..not a very fun feeling. i guess with the good..comes the bad and for me..the bad outweighed the good. who knows?..it might work for you..but it's hell to get off of..at least for me. good luck

Old 07-22-2004, 03:32 PM   #7
    tooolgrl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB User

My husband was not a nice man to live with until he started on effexor, what a difference, he hardly ever gets angry when before he would blow at the most ridiculous things, it has been a godsend for our family. Good luck to you

Old 07-22-2004, 03:51 PM   #8
    Lady_Raven

Lady_Raven HB User

thanks everyone for the positive feedback. It makes me feel more confident about going on it. I'm sure it will be difficult to stop taking but I'll deal with that when the time comes. Until then I just want to be happy and hope that this med doesn't make me gain weight like the zoloft did.

Thanks again!

Old 07-22-2004, 04:20 PM   #9
    nobodyimportant

nobodyimportant HB User

well actually..i did gain 30 lbs. and so did others. have you read the "Effexor Withdrawal Tips - Do's and Don'ts" thread? i highly recommend it. sorry..just wanted you to know.

Closed Thread