It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• effexor vs wellbutrin?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-17-2004, 11:57 AM   #1
    kah04

kah04 HB User
    effexor vs wellbutrin?

I have been taking Effexor for 6 months, but I am thinking about asking to switch to Wellbutrin. Any advice is appreciated...

I have a binge eating disorder. This past winter I became extremely depressed and gained 25 lbs in a short period of time.

I went to the doc who prescribed me Effexor for the depression. At the same time, I started a new diet to try to lose some of the weight. I did manage to lose some. I think my new diet counteracted any weight gain side effects from Effexor.

Now I have noticed that my appetite has increased and I have been bingeing more in the past 2-3 months. The bingeing, of course, leads to the depression. I heard that Wellbutrin can help stop the bingeing? I am thinking about asking the doc to change me to Wellbutrin. Any thoughts?? Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-17-2004, 05:03 PM   #2
    kjane
    (female)

kjane HB User
    Re: effexor vs wellbutrin?

I have a BED also. (recent 30 lb wt gain) I was wondering if it has gotten even WORSE from the Wellbutrin. I think it has. I was considering going off of it to see. I was thinking about Effexor. Today is my first day of NOT taking the Wellbutrin. I took 300mg daily (XL). I also take Lexapro 20mg, which I am staying on. I'll let you know how it goes.

Its so hard to say which drugs make things better or worse when life brings so many changes that affect life. I just recently have had a LOT of stressful things happen in my family life. I just feel like I am going crazy with the binging and I don't know if its the drugs or just a new phase of my freakish-ness.

Old 09-19-2004, 01:06 PM   #3
    kah04

kah04 HB User

i guess it's so true that everyone is different. i know that taking an antidepressant isnt going to "cure" my BED, but I guess i just want to take the best one for me. I certainly dont want to be on a drug that contributes to weight gain!

Old 09-20-2004, 01:14 PM   #4
    Auntie

Auntie HB User

I don't have a diagnosed binge eating disorder, but I do obsess about food: When will I eat next, what will I eat, will it be enough, etc. etc. I'm about 80 pounds overweight. I started taking Wellbutrin XL about 3 weeks ago and I've lost 7 pounds and I'm not thinking about food so much. But I agree, everyone is different, I just wanted to share this with you.

Old 09-20-2004, 01:22 PM   #5
    Terri43
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Terri43 HB User

I was on effexor and I gained 40lbs and it didn't really seem to help. Now i'm on wellbutrin XL and I have lost 30lbs and quit smoking also. It has been great for me. I also lost my sex drive on the effexor and I have it backk now.

Good Luck

Old 09-20-2004, 01:31 PM   #6
    kah04

kah04 HB User

I am seeing my therapist on Thursday and then my doc on Monday to discuss changing to Wellbutrin. It would be an added benefit of an antidepressant med to help me NOT think about food! I'll keep you posted. Thanks for your replies!

Old 09-20-2004, 07:27 PM   #7
    kjane
    (female)

kjane HB User

I've been off the Wellbutrin for 3 days. I feel fine but I still am binging. I had other weird side effects from the wellbutrin that made me want to quit it. I keep hearing that WB is good for weight loss and quitting smoking and other addictions but I didn't have that luck. Let me know how it goes for you, KAH04. I just figured if I'm not losing weight, I'd be better off not taking it.

Old 09-21-2004, 03:29 PM   #8
    angel_eyes_too

angel_eyes_too HB User
    Talking Re: effexor vs wellbutrin?

undefinedundefined

I have been on Effexor XR for quite a few years. Before that (1998) I started on Paxil and immediatly gained 30lbs. I've maintained that extra 30lbs. for 6 years now. I recently went to my Dr. and told hwer I was sleeping literally 18 hours a day, I lost a job that meant a lot to me and I felt like I was spinning out of control. Not necessarily major depression but just extreme tiredness. She told me to increase my effexor to 150mg in the AM and 75 in the PM. She also added 300mg Wellbutrin XL and I've never felt so awake. Yes, I'm having side effects...some alright, some frustrating...but nothing I can't handle. Quite honestly I'd rather have the side effects then live the sleepy life I was living.

My personal side effects:
    Insomnia
    shaky hands
    dry mouth
    "metallic" taste in my mouth
    Weight loss
    (9 lbs in 2 1/2 weeks & I'm not doing anything to help myself loose)
    I have absolutly NO appetite. Before I craved carbs like crazy. Now I could care less if I eat at all.

At this point, the combo of these drugs works well for me. Hope this helps.

Old 09-21-2004, 03:55 PM   #9
    sadbride

sadbride HB User

I am new to the boards. I am on both Effexor and Wellbutrin and I am miserable. Started on 50mg of Effexor and 150mg Wellbutrin back in June. I had a serious meltdown on August 1st and my doctor increased my Effexor to 150mg and also added Xanax to my therapy.

The side effects I am suffering have had me out of work on disability. I'm tired, confused, forgetful, dizzy, and still depressed. I have these jolts in my legs and constant chest pain.

But what puzzles me the most is this mysterious and unexpected raging bladder infection. I have not had one since I was a child. (I am now 34). Does anyone have any knowledge on how long I will have these horrific side effects and if the bladder infection has something to do with the Effexor?

Old 09-21-2004, 04:25 PM   #10
    kah04

kah04 HB User

i have been on effexor for 6+ months. at first i had some slight nausea which wasnt too bad. recently i have been having night sweats, increased appetite, drowsiness and noticeably low sex drive. i have heard horror stories about effexor but i have also heard that it's a wonder drug. everyone is different. maybe you will be ok after a few weeks? have you spoken to your doc?

Old 09-21-2004, 11:57 PM   #11
    PorqueChop

PorqueChop HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kah04
    I have a binge eating disorder. This past winter I became extremely depressed and gained 25 lbs in a short period of time.

The bingeing, of course, leads to the depression. I heard that Wellbutrin can help stop the bingeing? I am thinking about asking the doc to change me to Wellbutrin. Any thoughts?? Thanks.
    Hi, I was recently prescribed Wellbutrin. I take the generic, Buproprion 150 MG SR. I didn't even know I was depressed, quite frankly. Since starting these meds (I asked for diet pills but my Dr insisted I try this first), I have lost 11 pounds in one month.

I was binging out of control for over a year and the day I started Wellbutrin just over a month ago it stopped. Cold turkey. For the first time in ages I can stay awake in the morning. I have been taking two brisk walks a day, more than three miles most days.

My dr's nurse practitioner tried to prescribe something else but when I pressed the weight gain issue she came back with Wellbutrin as an option.

I still feel hunger but it isn't ruling my life. I feel like a new woman.

Old 09-22-2004, 11:45 AM   #12
    kah04

kah04 HB User

this is certainly encouraging! thanks! I am glad wellbutrin is working for you.

Closed Thread