It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• Fun with Wellbutrin

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-22-2004, 10:07 PM   #1
    AmericanOrange

AmericanOrange HB User
    Fun with Wellbutrin

I've been on Wellbutrin XL for about 4-5 weeks so far. I bumpted up to 300mg about 2 weeks ago. I don't notiice really any energy changes. I sometimes wake up in the night, and when i drink coffee it just magnifies the jittery feelings. But overall, I'm still tired a bunch. What I HAVE noticed is a HUGE increase in libido (I mean, oh man.....) and a decrease in apetite.

why am I not getting the boost of energy? Is SR better than XL for that?

and why does the drug not seem to affect me as much as others? Some people take it recreationally. Many have side effects and I've had little.

just some questions
    AO

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-23-2004, 09:18 AM   #2
    Kaitrin
    Veteran
    (female)

Kaitrin HB User
    Re: Fun with Wellbutrin

Well, it can take up to 12 weeks to become fully effective, so you may still see changes. Are you taking it for depression or mostly to help with energy? It does sometimes help people with low energy, but it's primarily intended as an antidepressant.

Old 09-23-2004, 09:25 AM   #3
    kah04

kah04 HB User

I am talking to my doc and therapist about swicthing to Wellbutrin. Specifically I am really hoping for more energy and increased sex drive. I'll keep you posted.

Old 09-25-2004, 11:56 PM   #4
    natthebug
    (female)

natthebug HB User

HMM I went to the Dr for an energy motivation problem and they told me it was depression. I have been on wellbutrin XL for 25 days 300mg. I never noticed a surger of energy. But have gradually subtley felt more 'normal' each day. the last week has pretty consistently been the same in how I feel. But I do feel normal energy wise. I get tired but when I sleep all night I feel fine the next day. I do not feel as groggy when I wake up as I did before. I also noticed I concentrate better. I used to have a hard time reading because i would read the same thing over and over and still not know what I read etc. I can tell you the energy feeling is not like a 'speed' feeling or excessive coffee or diet pills or anything like that. For me it is just normal thats it. But before I could not function at all, I would fall asleep in places like my car, in the middle of the day. In the first week of taking it I did wake up a few times at night. But it went away now. I also had dull headaches every morning for the first week. but they were almost unnoticeable. Anyways stick with it for a couple month's or so, that s the only way you will really know if it is going to help you. I think I am one of the rare few that it helped right away. I prayed about it a lot, that God would have the Dr prescribe what was going to really help me. And now look. So who knows. Anyways good luck.

Old 09-26-2004, 10:36 PM   #5
    Jamie Silent

Jamie Silent HB User

Whoever suggested they wanted to take anti-depressants to *increase* their sex drive and "boost energy" -- I think you just got a resounding laugh from everyone on this board who read your post.

Old 09-27-2004, 07:42 AM   #6
    natthebug
    (female)

natthebug HB User

uh yeah ! LOL Increase??? since when do AD's do that? Even the wellbutrin I am on has not done that, and it is supposed to at leats not decrease it. But guess what it does anyways!

Old 09-27-2004, 08:41 AM   #7
    kah04

kah04 HB User

jamie...are you referring to me? i am bordering on being offended, but...perhaps I wasnt clear in my previous post. I am currently taking an antidepressant where a side effect is decreased sex drive. Therefore, as I stated earlier, I am looking to switch to Wellbutrin as it is reported as NOT having the negative sexual side effects.

Old 09-27-2004, 09:15 AM   #8
    natthebug
    (female)

natthebug HB User

you said you were looking for more energy and increased sex drive. I do not think it increases it at all, but may in some people not effect their sex. (meaning it would be the same as always). I can say so far, I have not been on any other meds for 10 years. But so far I have experienced the increased energy, but nothing in my sex drive has changed. Maybe even the opposite...... But hard to say. I had a problem in that department in the beginning.

Old 09-27-2004, 09:48 AM   #9
    kah04

kah04 HB User

thanks nat. i have a decreased libido with the antidepressant I am on now. wellbutrin is supposed to bring libido back to normal. that is all i am looking for since sex drive is non-existant for me now. i guess you never know since everyone is different.

Old 09-27-2004, 12:24 PM   #10
    mjss

mjss HB User

I hear what you're saying,Kah04. For many people, including myself, Wellbutin is sometimes a good choice. It appears it doesn't decrease your sex drive like many antidepressants, and it can work on your fatigue also. Hope you get good results!!
    But if anyone knows of a antidepressant that increases your sex drive please let me know!!!lol.

Old 09-29-2004, 03:42 AM   #11
    juliasia

juliasia HB User

New to this...I've been on Wellbutrin 150 mg and prozac 40 mg for 2-3 years now...i feel stable but numb to everything going on in my life. I'm a little too easy going but I'm afraid to go off the meds to find out what is behind the depression. Any ideas...besides psycho therapy?

Old 09-29-2004, 03:43 AM   #12
    juliasia

juliasia HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by juliasia
    New to this...I've been on Wellbutrin 150 mg and prozac 40 mg for 2-3 years now...i feel stable but numb to everything going on in my life. I'm a little too easy going but I'm afraid to go off the meds to find out what is behind the depression. Any ideas...besides psycho therapy?

Old 09-29-2004, 07:45 AM   #13
    analog2000
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

analog2000 HB User

Why not therapy? It is extremely helpful for some people.

If you are not happy with the feelings you have with your meds, talk to your doctor. Tell him/her what you have said here. Maybe you need something different or a different combo. A doc can advise you best.

Good luck.

Old 09-29-2004, 01:40 PM   #14
    AmericanOrange

AmericanOrange HB User
    Re: Fun with Wellbutrin (drowsy)

well, i'm definitely more tired than i was when i started. Its a bummer,because i kept reading how wellbutrin increased energy, and was used to treat chronic fatigue syndrome. I'm kind of shocked how i'm even more drained. Its not pleasant at all.

so basically, do i have to choose between feeling tired all the time w/o meds and feeling REALLY tired all the time with them?

tired of being tired

AO

Old 09-29-2004, 02:27 PM   #15
    Terri43
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Terri43 HB User

I have been on almost everything out there for depression and all had an effect on my sex drive. I'm on wellbutrinXL now and my sex drive is getting back to normal and I have lost about 30lbs and quit smoking. and I feel like i have more energy. Now I have hurt my neck and back and am in too much pain to even care about my sex drive but still feel the same way as far as energy.

Closed Thread