It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• Question for Prozac users???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-02-2004, 10:24 AM   #1
    sufferann
    (female)

sufferann HB User
    Question Question for Prozac users???

Hi All,
    I am new to this board and would greatly appreciate any kind of feedback!
    My question is: Is anyone out there that has been on Prozac for a long stretch of time, and it does help you, but you switched to another anti-D.

The reason behind my question is that I have been on Prozac many years, I have depression, OCD, and really bad Anxiety. Prozac has been a life-saver and helped tremendously....BUT I have put on ALOT of weight over the years and no matter what I try to lose it , It WON"T COME OFF!!

So my dilema is finding and anti-D that works as good as Prozac but doesn't have the weight gain side effect.

I am petrified to go off of it!!! Once a doc put me on Zoloft and it was a nightmare experience and I swore I'd never go off the ZAC again.
    So I really need help from people that have been on it, to give me some insight.

Thanks so much in advance for any replies!!!

Sufferann

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-02-2004, 12:32 PM   #2
    sufferann
    (female)

sufferann HB User
    Re: Question for Prozac users???

Thank you for responding! I am 36 and I also have FMS/MPS, so because of the constant chronic pain, it limits my physical activities. But I do exercise every day, walking, stretching/yoga, recently got one of those mini-trampolines too.
    I have tried diet pills, natural supplements, and just eating less in general....and NOTHING?

Until recently, I never thought it was the Prozac, but after talking to some people, found out that in fact...Prozac does cause weight gain and they said no matter how much they tried...it just wouldn't come off.

I never had any weight problem in my life before I started taking meds. It really started years ago when I was on Paxil.....from there and about 70lbs. later...here I am.

Again...thank you...
    Take Care,
    Sufferann

P.S. You weren't rambling AT ALL!!

Old 10-06-2004, 03:10 PM   #3
    lbiddy

lbiddy HB User

I have been on Prozac for 10 years and I to have gained significant weight. I have tried several other meds but none seem to work as well. I also had very bad panic attacks and the thought of coming off the Prozac was scary to me also.. I have been off of it for a month now and my doctor just gave me a presc. for Wellbutrin Xl. I will try that and see how it does. Prozac became my comfort drug and I feel like over all these years, maybe I built up some form of tollerance to it. Who knows, I may end up going back on it..

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sufferann
    Hi All,
    I am new to this board and would greatly appreciate any kind of feedback!
    My question is: Is anyone out there that has been on Prozac for a long stretch of time, and it does help you, but you switched to another anti-D.

The reason behind my question is that I have been on Prozac many years, I have depression, OCD, and really bad Anxiety. Prozac has been a life-saver and helped tremendously....BUT I have put on ALOT of weight over the years and no matter what I try to lose it , It WON"T COME OFF!!

So my dilema is finding and anti-D that works as good as Prozac but doesn't have the weight gain side effect.

I am petrified to go off of it!!! Once a doc put me on Zoloft and it was a nightmare experience and I swore I'd never go off the ZAC again.
    So I really need help from people that have been on it, to give me some insight.

Thanks so much in advance for any replies!!!

Sufferann

Old 10-06-2004, 06:35 PM   #4
    Zoie97
    (female)

Zoie97 HB User

Hmmmm

I have been on Prozac almost 9 years.
    Though I have been fluctuating with the same 30 pounds, for the last 5 years, they will come off if I really "work" at it!!!

I would just like to know why I dont try to maintain it!!! ( those cookies call my name!!!)

" An insane person does not question their sanity"

Old 10-07-2004, 09:30 AM   #5
    sufferann
    (female)

sufferann HB User

Ibiddy,
    It is nice to know someone is in the same boat as me!
    If you do not mind...let me know how the Wellbutrin works for you and if some weight comes off.
    I would GREATLY appreciate you keeping me updated!!!
    My next doc appt. isn't till January and I want to get all my info before bringing this up next visit.

Hopefully I can get rid of the Prozac security blanket.

Thanks,
    Kellyann

Closed Thread