It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• Another question about Lexapro

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-06-2004, 06:36 PM   #1
    Falynsmommy
    Veteran

Falynsmommy HB User
    Another question about Lexapro

Hey all. I'm brand new to the depression board but I've been battling postpartum depression for about 5 months now. I've been trying to do it with no meds but my depression/anxiety/anger keeps getting worse and worse. I finally broke down and called the doctor yesterday and she prescribed Lexapro. I will start taking it tonight before bed.

I've been reading through all the posts about Lexapro and reading up on all the side effects, from hives to increased perspiration to loss of libido. I'm very concerned now. I already have no libido from all the hormonal changes of having a baby 5 months ago, not to mention all the stress I'm dealing with right now. I sincerely hope this is not a side effect I experience on this.

My questions are...I am taking Total Lean, which is the GNC brand diet pill. Will it hurt to keep taking it with the Lexapro? Anyone have any experience with this? Also, what about drinking? My husband and I very, very, very, and I stress very rarely go out, but when we do we usually have a few drinks. Will there be a problem with that and the Lexapro?

I thought I'd ask you all about this stuff before calling the doctor. I have one more question though. Do any of you experience anger as one of the symptoms of depression? With mine, I am always so mad at my husband for really no reason. He's a good man, good husband, and good father, and he helps out with the kids and the house. I just fly off the handle about tiny little things. Like him not pushing in the computer chair for goodness sake! It even sounds ridiculous. Have any of you experienced this? And will the Lexapro help this?

Any advice will be wonderful. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-06-2004, 06:59 PM   #2
    Concerned39
    (female)

Concerned39 HB User
    Re: Another question about Lexapro

I don't take lexapro- but the anger oh yes- that is normal to feel.I struggle witht that off and on.Sometimes it seems like everything sets me off.Good luck to you and hope you find relief.

Old 10-06-2004, 07:12 PM   #3
    Soulcatcher
    Inactive

Soulcatcher HB User

I seen your name is Falylonsmommy. I have a Fallon too! lol My children are 4,3,3 and my twins are girls and are named Ireland and Fallon. If yours is anything like mine you need lexapro. hehehehe She's a crazy little girl and God love her she cracks me up everyday and is true that the fruit doesn't fall far from the tree. hehe. I had post pardum after my girls. I was on Effexor and had side effects such as sweating really bad and over heating at the simplest of tasks. I LOVE Lexapro. I have no side effects. If I did they were so small I didn't notice. I did try to wean myself because I thought everything was great! NOPE! I saw anger in myself like no body's business. Lexapro was a God send and I am not angry at those "little things". Give it a few weeks. Everyone is different so you may or may not have side effects. When I was off I didn't like ANYTHING my husband did. Not the way he brushed his teeth to the way he loaded the dishwasher.....for goodness sakes he was CLEANING!! and I still wasn't happy. Give this med a try. After one baby being born to giving birth to twin girls you can believe me when I say this med is awesome and I hope it is for you. You may feel normal again. The one thing that I do want to say is you might want to stop the diet drug because it contains caffience and that can counter act with Lexapro. Your supposed to stop or lower all sugar (because it gives you a short fake high) and caffiend (same) and go to bed at a normal time everynight and try to wake up around the same time. I take a multi vitamin and it all helps out. I drink also maybe once a week and even go out, if I can. Once your used to it within the first few weeks you should be fine, they are talking about excessive drinking. Not every night or every other night. Once a week is fine. When you drink your mind does not rest like you would if you were not drinking. That's a fact even though you may think a drink helps you sleep. It doesn't. You never reach that deep sleep. If I drink I try to make sure I nap when they do so I am not irratable. I hope I helped some. Good luck

Old 10-06-2004, 08:42 PM   #4
    analog2000
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

analog2000 HB User

Definitely talk to the doc. From my own experience, some people can drink while taking anti-depressants, some can't even have a single beer. It all depends on the person.

Old 10-07-2004, 09:23 AM   #5
    LS289
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

LS289 HB User

What are the reasons why some people "can't have a single beer"? What happens when they drink on anti-depressants?

Old 10-07-2004, 11:42 AM   #6
    Falynsmommy
    Veteran

Falynsmommy HB User

Thanks guys for such quick replies. My mother in law is a pharmacist so I think I'll just call her about taking the Total Lean with the Lexapro. I thought it might counteract it so I'll just call and see what she says.

I took my first pill last night at about 11pm and went to bed about midnight. I did notice that my stomach got slightly upset but nothing big. I also noticed that at 6:30am this morning I was wide awake and ready to get up. Anyone else notice anything like that? Usually I'm the person that hits the snooze button for an hour.

I did get upset today because I wrote my husband a letter last night apologizing for my craziness lately, and telling him how important it is to me that he help out as much as possible right now. Then I get home from work this morning and he hasn't even given the baby a bath and her toys were scattered all over the place. It almost felt like he didn't care enough even after reading the note to help out any. I guess I feel like he isn't taking this seriously enough. I know this is the depression talking and it sucks. I have a good husband and I'm too hard on him.

I'm glad to see that the anger I'm going through is normal. I was afraid maybe that part was just me. Also, one other question for you all on Lexapro. What time of the day do you all take it and does it really make a difference as long as you take it the same time every day?

Soulcatcher...Yep, I have a Falyn. She's my 8 year old. Then my baby's name is Addyson. I love the name Falyn because it's so different. And yes, mine is a crazy lil thing too. She has the best personality. I like hanging out with her sometimes even more than people my own age. lol. As for the drinking, my husband and I very rarely have a drink. He doesn't even drink beer here at home. It's only when we go out for a night will we have a few, and that doesn't happen often. My birthday and our anniversary are coming up in a couple of weeks though and I know we'll be going out. I wanted to know if it will hurt anything to drink some. Thanks for the reply.

Old 10-11-2004, 04:38 PM   #7
    Falynsmommy
    Veteran

Falynsmommy HB User

Okay, I've been taking this for a few days now and have felt a little better I guess. I have noticed that I'm not as angry and I've been a little more laid back about things this weekend. Hopefully that is the Lexapro working.I have another question though. Has anyone else had weird vision problems with this? I was driving home Friday night and started seeing things like neon lights that weren't there and tracers from the headlights going by. I was in the country so it wasn't the glare from city lights, and very few cars passed me. It happened the next night too but hasn't happened since then. Also, I have been a little nauseas and dizzy at times. I know that part is normal but I wonder about the vision thing. And no, I wasn't drinking.

I have a doctor's appoinment tomorrow so I'm going to ask about it then, just thought I'd see if anyone else had this happen. Thanks again.

Closed Thread