It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• Please recommend a good A/D that helps anxiety and doesn't kill your libido

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-08-2004, 01:50 AM   #1
    Glenzo
    (male)

Glenzo HB User
    Please recommend a good A/D that helps anxiety and doesn't kill your libido

Hi,

Can anybody recommend a good, safe and effective a/d?

I've tried Celexa (Citalopram) and Zoloft (Sertraline) aka Lustral.

Both have helped my depression/panic and worrying feelings, but I still suffer bouts of anxiety, particularly in the early part of the day, evenings I usually feel relaxed. Also they've rendered me numb down below with the typical SSRI Sexual Side effects - I need say no more. (Ps. I'm male)

I just want to be able to take a pill that relieves depression AND anxiety without having to sacrafice my libido.

Thanks folks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-08-2004, 07:58 AM   #2
    bluetooth
    Veteran

bluetooth HB User
    Re: Please recommend a good A/D that helps anxiety and doesn't kill your libido

im using prozac** aka fluxotine

its great as it actually makes you loose weight than gain it

your sexual desire becomes alot more active

and generally its turned my life around and really helps with my anxiety as thats what causes my depression in the first place

im not sure what libido is sorry

Last edited by bluetooth; 10-08-2004 at 07:58 AM.

Old 10-08-2004, 08:11 AM   #3
    Terri43
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Terri43 HB User

I'm taking wellbutrin XL and it has increased my sex drive and i have lost about35lbs and quit smoking and i feel great. Even with all my pain from my neck and back injury.

Old 10-09-2004, 09:54 AM   #4
    Glenzo
    (male)

Glenzo HB User

Hi,

Libido is basically your 'sex drive'.

Terri43 tell me of your experience of Wellbutrin XL. Basically what do you suffer and how have you fared out on these meds. I was going to ask my GP for this drug only I believed it to be similar to Zyban which has caused great controversy in the U.K. as it (Zyban) has been linked to sudden death seizures. My sister had been given Zyban to help her stop smoking and she said after a day or two she woke up in the night and felt very weird like she didn't know who or what anything was and felt basically as if her mind had went (until she stopped).

Thanks

Old 10-09-2004, 10:21 AM   #5
    ZFREEIN2003

ZFREEIN2003 HB User

Glenzo ... I have the same problems as you do -- anxiety and depression. I wouldn't suggest Wellbutrin as it may increase anxiety, although you would get your sex drive back.

My doctor put me on a fairly low dose of Effexor XR (started at 37.5 mgs and then upped to 75 mgs). I have my sex drive back (after 3 years on Zoloft) and I am responding to it much better than I ever did with Zoloft. Zoloft, for some reason, increased my alcohol intake and I just couldn't control it anymore. Since starting Effexor, I no longer have the urge to drink.

I do suffer side effects from it though. For one, I cannot take it at night or else I will be awake all night. When I take it in the morning, I feel tired for the first few hours, and then that lifts. I also still have night sweats and some nights my pjs are soaked through. The other problem that I have is with constipation, but increasing my fiber intake has pretty much helped that.

Effexor is a combination of two chemicals that lift you up and calm you down at the same time. I find that I am more able to handle my daughter (she's adhd) and get on with my life.

Hope this helps you some.

Z

Old 10-09-2004, 01:42 PM   #6
    Terri43
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Terri43 HB User

Wellbutrin is the same as zyban the xl is just extended realase. I have been on almost every thing for depression. most lowered my sex drive effexor made me gain weight 40lbs to be exact. I also have anxiety which I have always taken xanax for but the wellbutrin XL with the xanax are great for me. no problems and I was even able to quit smoking and cut back my drinking.

Old 10-09-2004, 09:08 PM   #7
    webbsy

webbsy HB User

remeron (zispin Uk) mirtazapine, I tried prozac and a bunch of self help stuff eg st johns and 5htp etc, it was all bad but the zispinhas been a breath of fresh air.

Dont have any probs sexual probs, no side effects to speak of either.

Last edited by webbsy; 10-09-2004 at 09:09 PM.

Old 10-13-2004, 12:08 PM   #8
    Glenzo
    (male)

Glenzo HB User

Hi Webbsy & Folks,

Have just stopped the Lustral and will start the Rameron/Zispin (Mirtazapine) 15mg in a few days as the Dr/Pharmacist said to let this one get out of my system first.

Any comments on how may feel for the first while doing this switch?

Cheers!

Old 10-14-2004, 03:56 AM   #9
    Glenzo
    (male)

Glenzo HB User
    Angry Re: Please recommend a good A/D that helps anxiety and doesn't kill your libido

Took 15 mg Zispin/Rameron last night for the first time.

Came over very drowsy had to go to bed. Found it difficult to get up this morning feeling drowsy and foggy, and still I'm feeling drowsy and heavy in the head.

How long does it take for this side effect to lift? Don't like this doped up feeling!

Thanks

Old 01-01-2007, 06:04 AM   #10
    jacshadow
    (female)

jacshadow HB User

i've been on zispin for 4days after coming off prozac and today i don't feel so drowsey! I have real vivid dreams and wake up thinking they are real but at least i'm sleeping now. The only other symptom is a very dry mouth. Please let me know how you are doing on them.

Closed Thread