It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• ST JOHN'S WORT for Depression Instead

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-18-2004, 09:12 AM   #1
    Sustasha
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Sustasha HB User
    Smile ST JOHN'S WORT for Depression Instead

The fastest rising star in herbal medicine in Germany and now the United States is the St. John's wort extract standardized to contain 0.3% of hypericin. A total of 66 million daily doses of St. John's wort extracts were prescribed by German caregivers in 1994 and are expected to be dramatically higher when tallied for 1995, 1996, and beyond. These German doctor's now prescribe St. John's wort extract 8 times more often than Prozac!!
    These doctors are knowledgeable about both medicines, but clearly favor St. John's wort extract. Why? Because St. John's wort produces equal or better results in relieving depression, but has far fewer side effects. Over 25 double-blind randomized trials involving a total of 1,757 outpatients with mild to moderately severe depression have shown St. John's wort extracts standardized for hypericin to yield excellent results in the treatment in depression with virtually no side effects.
    The recommended dosage and the one I'm starting today is 900mg. 450mg in the a.m. and 450mg in the evening. Taking these prescription drugs
    is too risky for side effects and withdrawal and it's not worth it to me. I bought the 450mg capsules so I only have to take two.
    Is anyone else taking SJW ? Have you had any side effects or improvements?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-18-2004, 10:34 AM   #2
    Josh McGrath
    Inactive

Josh McGrath HB User
    Re: ST JOHN'S WORT for Depression Instead

Ive been trying it for a few weeks. I havent had much improvement..then again, I dont have much improvement with normal meds either.

It needs to be said that it also depends on the brand since its not regulated. Lots of people have had great results and recommend the brand Perika. 3 a day.

Check this site out for more info... cut/paste http://www.sjwinfo.org/

Old 10-18-2004, 12:31 PM   #3
    Worrytomuch

Worrytomuch HB User

This may just be an "Urban Legend", but I have been told that St. Johns Wort may make other meds less efficient. Birth Control pills were one of them.

Just wanted to let you know in case you happen to be on bc....

Old 10-20-2004, 08:24 AM   #4
    Zester

Zester HB User

You may want to take a look at Amoryn (basically same ingredient, but more potent than the regular SJW ) and SAM-e. Appear to be more promising than SJW and can be purchased over-the-counter.

Old 10-20-2004, 09:10 AM   #5
    analog2000
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

analog2000 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SusanGene
    Over 25 double-blind randomized trials involving a total of 1,757 outpatients with mild to moderately severe depression have shown St. John's wort extracts standardized for hypericin to yield excellent results in the treatment in depression
    Yes, these results are in people with MILD depression. This is probably not a good choice for those with SEVERE depression, namely anyone who has ever considered or attempted suicide. For those folks, prescription meds are still the way to go.

As noted earlier, here in the US, non-prescription herbs, vitamins, supplements, etc are not regulated or controlled. So when you buy the bottle, you really have no idea what is inside it. And the amount of active ingredient can vary, even from pill to pill. There is no oversight of this.

And yes, St. John's Wart can interact with other meds you are taking. Including immunotherapies, antibiotics, birth control pills, and others. It is a diuretic. So anyone taking it should inform their doc or pharmacist to make sure there are no potential problems.

Good luck.

Old 10-20-2004, 09:27 AM   #6
    Sustasha
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Sustasha HB User

It is easier to find out what is in SJW than it is what is in Prozac and Paxil. And what is in Them causes side effects and terrible withdrawal. Plus, there are massive cover-ups going on about them as we speak ($$$$)
    I agree that SJW is not for severe depression, though, which I don't have.
    Mine is extremely mild and fluctuating. But it always gets me when people are So concerned about "what is in" herbs and vitamins but ignore the
    suicides and ER trips from withdrawal from taking prescription SSRI's which are documented and in the news!
    I'd like to hear about any deaths and/or terrible side effects from St John's Wort.

Old 10-20-2004, 10:07 AM   #7
    analog2000
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

analog2000 HB User

Quote:
    It is easier to find out what is in SJW than it is what is in Prozac and Paxil.
    Actually, the ingredients in all prescription meds, including the inactive ingredients, are readily available. It is usually included in the packaging, or you could ask the doc or pharmacist. By law (here in the US) this info has to be given to you. And these ingredients are standardized. Of course, simply knowing the ingredients is not a guarantee as to their safety or effectiveness!

Quote:
    it always gets me when people are So concerned about "what is in" herbs and vitamins but ignore the suicides and ER trips from withdrawal from taking prescription SSRI's which are documented and in the news!
    I actually wasn't looking at it from this standpoint, and you do have some good points. What I was trying to get across, is that since there is no oversight or regulation of SJW here in the US, you do not know what is in the bottle you are purchasing. It is possible that there is little or even no actual SJW in the pills. Supplement manufacturers are on their own. You could well be paying good money for what you think is SJW, and be getting nothing but "sugar pills." I don't know that this is so much a safety concern, as a financial one. It can be hard to find a trustworthy manufacturer. I suppose a pharmacist could help you out on this one too.

Good luck.

Old 10-20-2004, 10:53 AM   #8
    Sustasha
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Sustasha HB User

It may be inadequate but I go on an online druggist where customers post
    their comments on anything they've bought, drugs or otherwise. And the overwhelming majority got good results from the brand of SJW I bought.
    It's time release formulation, also.
    I participate in posting results all the time and they publish my findings right on the website.

Closed Thread