It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• Depression due to cronic pain

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-18-2004, 02:32 PM   #1
    toelle

toelle HB User
    Depression due to cronic pain

Does anyone on this board suffer from depression due to cronic pain? I had a microdisectomy on my back last march and along with the pain I seem to slip into depression; find myself crying a lot and feeling sorry for myself. I'm not always depressed and I do try to fight it by keeping busy and keeping in touch with my friends but some days it just takes over, usually when I'm haveing a bad bout of pain. Life just seems so grim since the back pain started. Anyone in the same situation as I am please I would welcome your input and any suggestions you have on how to handle this problem.
    Toelle/Sue

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2004, 06:35 AM   #2
    vamp36
    Senior Veteran

vamp36 HB Uservamp36 HB User
    Re: Depression due to cronic pain

My depression started around the time my chronic illnes started and the pain that goes with it. I am pain meds and now my doc put me on Cymbalta and I do feel better these days. I've been off of work for the last 8 months and will be for a couple of more months yet. However, this board and the meds have helped me greatly. THe people here are wonderful. I see my doc every week. I'm trying to stay out of the hospital. SO far so good. We are here for you. Are you able to manage your pain? THat will help if you can. It is no fun living with pain daily and not able to do things because of it. I've been there. I now have a good understanding doc to help me with this. I went througha few docs to find one to help me and my illness. It was worth it. Goood luck to you. We are here for you, Tina
    Can you see your doc to help you with the pain? Explain how it is hurting and making you depressed. Hopefully he can help you. Or is pain management an option?

Last edited by vamp36; 11-19-2004 at 06:40 AM.

Old 11-19-2004, 07:05 AM   #3
    HappyHen

HappyHen HB User

You have a similar situation as me...My back is hurting....really hurting and I am starting to feel useless and so old...I can't get out of bed or roll over without screaming....This is no way to live...Going from overactive to being unable to function is mentally too much...I wonder what I did to deserve this.
    I grew up with parents that always said you aren't sick, you aren't in pain,
    just suck it up. I had perfect attendance in school as getting sick in my family wasn't allowed. I finally went to the doctor and was given bextra...first thing out of my mom's mouth was don't take pills you can conquer this on your own...so yes I think the body and mind can only take so much before it snaps into depression mode. I feel myself sliding into it. I feel like I have let my family "name" down by being less than perfectly healthy... Yes I am depressed. People that suffer from major pain and can accept it with a smile must be nuts ( is there an insane board ? I think I am a normal depressed person!!

Old 11-20-2004, 04:42 AM   #4
    Ladyhopeful
    (female)

Ladyhopeful HB User

Chronic pain often causes a vicious cycle of pain and depression Toelle. Long term, chronic pain can cause the toughest of people to start to feel helpless and hopeless about their ongoing pain which often automatically then can also lead to depression. Statistics also show that people who are depressed react to pain far sooner and feel pain at a higher level than people who are not depressed.
    Sorry, I live in a different country to where I am guessing you are but are there no pain clinics which you can go to where they treat people with chronic pain? Often once pain is brought down to more acceptable levels, the depression also greatly lessens or disappears.

I hope that you have discussed your situation with your Physician or Surgeon as they know all about the pain versus depression scenario and they have it in their power to do as much as possible to help you regarding both problems.

I hope you find the help you need.

Old 11-20-2004, 10:02 PM   #5
    Marg001

Marg001 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by toelle
    Does anyone on this board suffer from depression due to cronic pain? I had a microdisectomy on my back last march and along with the pain I seem to slip into depression; find myself crying a lot and feeling sorry for myself. I'm not always depressed and I do try to fight it by keeping busy and keeping in touch with my friends but some days it just takes over, usually when I'm haveing a bad bout of pain. Life just seems so grim since the back pain started. Anyone in the same situation as I am please I would welcome your input and any suggestions you have on how to handle this problem.
    Toelle/Sue
    Hi there Toelle/Sue,
    I really know how you feel. I am a chronic pain sufferer to to Spondylolesthesis, and Disc Degeneration and Scoliosis. I am almost in persistent pain. I am on a pain patch which does help, but I am still getting depressed. I think the best thing that I find is that if you do feel good and when you do is try and get outside, even if it's only for a breath of fresh air. I know it makes a big difference to me. Unfortnaly for me I don't have to many friends so you are lucky. You take good care and I hope everything works out allright, and let me know!! P.S. Just wanted to now if you are on Anti-depressants? And if so what kind? I hope I can help you I have been on two kinds in the past 5 years and I choose not to take them.

Bye for now
    Margie
    Two months later had to go back and have Illestomy closed.
    Now almost 1 year having chronic lower back pain due to Spondylolesthesis, and DDD, and also still have a 31 degree curse to back.
    Also have a dextro-scoliosis and a levo-scoliosis.

Old 11-21-2004, 11:41 PM   #6
    lori j
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lori j HB User

I also suffer from chronic pain from back problems. I get one fixed & another one acts up. I had depression before the back problems, but lately, I've just felt so hopeless with all this pain. I am an active person, hate to wait on anyone to do things that I should & could be doing, now I wait for hubby to vacuum for me, to mop the floors etc.. I have a vertabrae out of place up high this time & it is affecting my arm & shoulder, also have a cold & with all the coughing it keeps popping the vertabrae back out of place, so I'm in a lot of pain right now & that has made my depression a thousand times worse.
    You are definitely not alone on this one!

Old 01-07-2005, 05:58 AM   #7
    pinkaleigha
    (female)

pinkaleigha HB User
    Wink Re: Depression due to cronic pain

Hi everyone I have just found this board and have never been so pleased.I have lived with cronic pain for almost a solid year. I have just found out that there is help out there for me. I talked to well lets say I cried to my doctor that I was going crazy and cried all the time and all the above that goes along with it..... I am now seeing a doctor that works with people that live in cronic pain. It has been so nice to talk to someone that acts like they care how you feel and that the whole time you are trying to talk you seem to only cry and that seems to be ok with them to. I have always worked hard and everything I have gone after I have succeded. AT work I have always won awards and monnies for contest. Now my world seems to have STOPED. I am about to lose my job and have to go in a new field. In this day and time that alone scares me. Lets all hang in there and help each other the best we can and continue to pray. :angel:

Old 01-07-2005, 11:23 PM   #8
    lori j
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lori j HB User

Angel, my life has been nothing but laying on the couch in front of the t.v. since before Thanksgiving. This chronic pain, back problems etc. sure puts our lives on hold. I'm in PT for it now & it was doing great & after my session yesterday, it feels like I'm back to square one again!!

Old 01-08-2005, 10:26 PM   #9
    Lloyd

Lloyd HB User

I have had intermittent problems. Sometimes it was so bad:I wanted to cut my leg off. No rest no relief. It was pinched nerves and I was told since it's so close to the spine the sugery was very risky and might do no good. Two different rehab sessions helped me but it shifted the pain to the other leg. Right now its remitted. Thank God. For awhile I couldn't sleep for more than a couple hours;I'd wake up in pain and thrash around - no position was comfortable.Woke up my spouse with my contortions......would wander around the house trying the other bed or couches to get into the right position. I take a mild dose of klonopin & it helps a little. I do herbal teas to help relax. Hot showers on the muscles and stretches to keep things loose. It takes all your energy to fight the pain.
    Still I feel more fortunate than a friend with MS who had her entire spine opened and worked on. She's lucky she didn't have any serious side effects.

Closed Thread