It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• Has anyone lost the weight gained from Lexapro?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-26-2004, 01:00 PM   #1
    debdeb7
    (female)

debdeb7 HB User
    Has anyone lost the weight gained from Lexapro?

I just recently quit Lexapro as a) it was doing not much good and b) I've gained about 26 pounds over the last few months.

No diet or exercise has helped, except maybe a fluctuating pound, now and then.

Has anyone that has gained weight from Lexapro been able to take it off? If so, how long did it take? Any tips?

Any advice/thoughts on withdrawal symptoms and the weight issue from Lexapro would be so appreciated. Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-27-2004, 12:05 AM   #2
    TennisKitten

TennisKitten HB User
    Re: Has anyone lost the weight gained from Lexapro?

Unfortunately I did not lose the Lexapro weight, as I immediately became pregnant when I went off Lexapro, and then went on to gain weight with pregnancy! I hope that I will be able to get the Lexapro and the pregnancy weight off after the baby comes, and I won't get post-partum depression and have to go back to the Lexapro again.

Old 11-27-2004, 12:48 AM   #3
    Jacquie23
    (female)

Jacquie23 HB User

How are you feeling about gaining the weight? because that could put you in to another depression again, leading you to more medication or eating more. Not that medication is bad, the worst thing you could do is try to Dx yourself and make things worse. and with having a child, that is very easy to pass in on to him/her, the behaviour even. I knew a woman who was SO depressed and tried to kill her self and it TOTALLY messed up her child. Now the Child is well but the Mother is still the same as she is always Dxing her self when she donít have a clue what is wrong. The Child is full of Scars from her younger days. Just think of what it would be like to have a mother that was always trying to kill herself, thinkÖ what that would feel for the child.

How much exercise are you getting in a day? and are you looking at the calories you are consuming? Probably not. Everyone gains weight as they get older, and your not getting younger. I know when I was young the things I could do, I could get on my roller skates and go for a whole day. Now an hour is hard to do. But I still see some woman, jogging early in the morning, and I wonder why they do it, maybe its vanity. To always look great, maybe its health reasons.

Old 11-27-2004, 09:08 AM   #4
    CtRich
    (male)

CtRich HB User

Lose the weight gained from Lexapro?
    Yeah, right. Only in my mind.
    I think we should take the manufacturers of the stuff
    and force feed them cornstarch for a month!

Last edited by CtRich; 11-27-2004 at 09:08 AM.

Old 11-27-2004, 02:37 PM   #5
    TennisKitten

TennisKitten HB User

My problem was more anxiety related, after going through recovery from anorexia. I held off on taking Lexapro and SSRIs because of the potenital weight gain, but I suffered from anxiety for 2 years before I finally threw in the towel and tried Lexapro. Lexapro did help the anxiety, which was interfering with my life and making me hard to live with. So yes, the weight gain was hard given my eating disordered background. But I'm not totally depressed over it, I know that I will just have to work out harder after the baby comes. I actually haven't felt better anxiety and depression wise than during this pregnancy. I went off all meds before I got pregnant. I do exercise, but not like I did before I got pregnant. I'm 8 1/2 months pregnant now, so all I can really do is swim and walk short distances. I don't want to be super skinny again, but I don't want to be overweight either as that is not healthy.

Has anyone been able to lose the Lexapro weight after going off the med?

Closed Thread