It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• What does this dream mean?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-20-2004, 07:04 PM   #16
    kiehn
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kiehn HB User
    Re: What does this dream mean?

You are right, the dream could very well be something else entirely, I just gave
    my opinion I didnt say I was right. I was only trying to help just as you are.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-21-2004, 05:37 AM   #17
    opiateskill000

opiateskill000 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kiehn
    You are right, the dream could very well be something else entirely, I just gave
    my opinion I didnt say I was right. I was only trying to help just as you are.
    sorry, i came off a bit rude. i'm just trying to say (although it's really not an important point in the scheme of things) that I BELIEVE that, in dreams, emotions or actions are USUALLY a lot more significant than physical objects. i just didn't understand how you'd think that the road symbolized a direction in her life. i once saw a website where you type in words and it interprets the "meaning" of the dream, lol, but i don't think that works. gotta look at context, emotion, thoughts, and activity in the dream.

ps- i'm a psychology major, so maybe i read too much into the dream anyway.

sorry for the rudeness

Old 12-22-2004, 05:46 AM   #18
    belize

belize HB User

I had a vicious wicked dream a couple of weeks ago, forced myself awake several times only to be sucked right back into it. Many recognizable people in it and I frantically running around exposed [had lost my pants] and making messes I had to sit in [peed on a toilet which was actually a stool in a diner] The fellow on the neighboring stool had a paper in his hand and I have always understood it is important to read anything written in your dream, so though he was posessive of this paper I did grasp it for a moment and read the words of wisdom there. turned out to be an application for a busboy position = time to clean myself up and the chaos which I have created here and there.

So ya, so many dreams are the random filing by the brain of the day's imagery, but occasionally, the connections made in such lucidity are important for growth. always good to give a thought or two to the dreams you remember.

Personally things are going pretty good and I am in process of eliminating many posessions so that I can fly to the new tree in February unburdened by excess weight. It will be a very quiet Christmas which seems so appropriate and right.

Warm thoughts to all

Old 12-25-2004, 08:08 AM   #19
    belize

belize HB User

Merry Christmas and God Bless you and yours.

Old 12-26-2004, 08:56 AM   #20
    Genabeena

Genabeena HB User

Happy holidays all!!!!!! And special thanks to Triple Zero (sorry I have an insatiable habbit of playing with people's user names) and Kiehn. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your input about the dream. I want to point out, too that contrasting viewpoints are welcome and even encouraged here. I think that the more ideas we hear, the greater the chance we have of hitting on something. Triple 0, I definitely think you hit it. Direct hit. Very well put too, because your comments really do shed some light on it.

It makes sense, because I had a challenge I was facing at work involving one of my preschoolers and I really want to do the right thing by the children and their families. Indeed I was feeling strongly that there was some critical time sensitivity with it. I don't think I handled it perfectly (it's my first time handling a situation of this particular nature), but I sure gave it a good swing. I do think I affected some positive change- though not achieving quite what I was going for. I don't think I have ruined my career either- although my relationship with my bosses is a little strained now, but hey, come to think of it, it was strained before. The only difference before was that I was being dumped on. I think that the important thing I accomplished, though, was that I made a statement that we, at the center, were getting away from the kind of environment that we should be striving towards, that we need to take a look at certain aspects of what we are doing, and that teachers shouldn't just be expected to shoulder all the burden all by themselves when things are not going right and problems are being allowed go unaddressed and to fester. We need a support system. And, yes, teachers do have avenues they can take to get the support they need. But if management is ignoring the needs of teachers and children, and teachers wind up taking those alternate avenues, then the managers are going to have to hold on to their jobs for dear life.

The part of triple zero's interpretation that I find intriguing and want to look at some more was the observation that there were other people who wanted to cross the road. It just dawned on me that those people probably represented my colleagues. Maybe that's why the one who got hit did bear resemblance to one of my favorite co-workers. That was something I did notice, but I didn't point it out here on the thread.

I think that before reading the interpretations on this thread, I was thinking about the dream way too broadly, although, the theme does extend to other aspects of my life and speaks generally to who I am. I have always wanted to become a person who helped people. Not just two or three random acts of kindness, but really, significantly help people. Change the world for the better. Promote ideals of love, peace, and harmony in the world. Okay, that last statement made me sound like a hippie, but from my standpoint as a child growing up, I was unaware of all these labels and stigmas. I just knew that there was a lot of injustice in the world, and I knew what kind of a world I would like to live in. I felt that I understood right and wrong, and was frustrated to be such a small and singular voice.

The thing, now, that's really interesting is that, even without really understanding fully what the dream signified, I do believe I had a deep, internal sense about it. My unconscious mind knew, even though my conscious mind had a hard time grasping it. And none-the-less, it seems as though my unconscious mind was somehow informing the actions I ended up taking. I do think, though, that I might have handled it even better if I had indeed had that marriage of conscious and unconscious that tends to provide a sort of boosted perspective.

The good thing is that, although what's done is done, there are still choices that will need to be made. Times when I'll have to respond. I feel like I am at an advantage now that I have that boosted perspective. And, of course, there will be other situations and other dreams. Speaking of other dreams, sounds like Mermaid and Belize have had some whoppers. Didn't Man Apart have some dreams he was telling us about too? Let's dig in! These are some wild dreams.

-Beans

Last edited by Genabeena; 12-26-2004 at 09:06 AM.

Old 01-06-2005, 11:52 AM   #21
    MermaidMer
    (female)

MermaidMer HB User

ok i'm going to bump this thread up again because i just had the strangest dream last night. you'll never believe me, but i swear it's true.

it took place in my basement of my house, and i was trapped in there. i wasn't alone; gena, rod and belize were all with me. we were in some sort of jail, we couldn't escape, and it was really scary. since we were there for a few weeks, we found ways to entertain ourselves. i started knitting a scarf (even though i have no idea how to knit in real life). for some reason, every sunday the doors to the basement opened and it was like we were given an opportunity to escape, but no one was ever brave enough. there were two doors to the basement; one that led to the outside world, and one that was at the top of the stairs and led to the rest of my house. one sunday, when the doors opened up, belize decided to go for it and run outside to try to escape. as soon as she did, guards came after her and took her down, and she never returned. no one ever dared to escape on sundays after that.

the thing is, this dream was so vivid, except for the faces of my companions. since i never have (and never will) know what you guys look like, your faces were just blurred out, but for some reason i knew who you all were.

could someone maybe help me decipher what this means? i'm so confused, and i hope someone can help, since the dream pertains to some of you who frequently post on this board. ANYONE who wishes to do so may reply, this is a non-discriminating thread!!

thanks in advance,
    Meredith

Old 01-07-2005, 04:30 PM   #22
    Man Apart
    Veteran

Man Apart HB User

Mermaid. lol. My goodness. Thats a weird dream. Put down the horror DVD and step away from the tv. lol. Just kidding. You know I think Belize would be the one that would make a run for it, shes kind of a freebird to me, she would try to make a run for it before I would. You know with me, I would try to adapt, cos you dont want to make a mistake of being put ina worst situation than your in. But it would probably wear me down mentally and Id make that suicide plunge out of the basement too perhaps.

I have some disturbing dreams, and sometimes some pleasant ones. I remember one dream I had about you a long time ago. I think it was around last summer because everyone was really worried about you. I remember I sat here all day waiting for you to post and I fell asleep in the chair. In my dream you were tall, you had long straight blonde hair. For some reason I was at Penn State University or some college campus. You were having a panic attack or seizure or something, and I didnt know what to do. I put my arms around you and told you to just listen to me and breathe. I just kept saying let it go, let it go, dont hold on to it, just relax. Your hands were balled into a fist and u were banging on the floor. I pryed them open and told you to just squeeze my hand. And then I just started making bad jokes, and saying anything I could to calm you. I even tried to sing believe it or not. I remember my hands felt like they were clamped in a beartrap. After you stopped shaking I layed you in your bed and you fell asleep. I woke up but you never did post that day. Just said you were in really bad shape. But im glad your pass that now and you had someone there to help you through it.

If i had to take a stab at the meaning, id say were all in a basement, inprisoned by depression maybe. Thats just my take. I dunno. Or could just be too many horror dvd's. Thats the reason for most of my bad dreams.

Old 01-08-2005, 03:29 PM   #23
    belize

belize HB User

well, yes, I did try to escape that Basement Mer.... and indeed the guards came and put me in solitary for a while. What I found out is that there is no new tree. Only in my dreams. I have never been so sure in my life that I knew what I was doing and where I was going... so I quit my job and gave my house away and shipped my tools and books to the new tree... but they were returned to sender - address unknown. So now I try to regroup and wonder what happened, "who was that masked man" who seemed so right for me? I do not think there will be another man in my life for a long, long time. I will plant a nice flowering bush in March in a new place and take care of it myself. And this one will not be watered by tears.

Old 02-14-2005, 06:29 PM   #24
    Genabeena

Genabeena HB User

Hi all! Happy Valentine’s Day. Hope you’re all doing something more exciting on this day than what I’m doing…(typing).

Anyway, I’m reactivating this thread because I had another perplexing dream and I got such a great response with the first one.

I was on this fancy wooden patio loft, having a casual lunch with a friend and my little 1 and-a-half year old was there. She was playing around- walking this way and that- exploring the patio. Then, suddenly, she dropped down and got caught, precariously hanging between two flights of stairs. (It was a long drop). When I saw that, I jumped to my feet and said to my friend, “you go get her, I’m going down to stand under her in case she falls!” As I started going down the stairs, I saw my friend dash over, jump down between the stairs and swing her legs under “the Beanie Baby.” She rescued her in an instant.

After I woke up, it took several minutes to remember the dream, and then I still wasn’t sure who the friend in the dream had been, but it seemed like it had been a man. (It could have been one of those morphs). But a little later I realized who I really think it was. It was a co-worker who is a female (we’re preschool teachers.) She’s not the most girlish, feminine person, but definitely not a man. She’s a person whom I very much admire. Very talented and creative. A rather serious sort, but with an outrageously funny side too. She is good at what she does, but can be a little bit of an alarmist at times, occasionally exaggerating about things (not that that means anything- just a little background.)

When I told my mom about the dream, her jaw dropped and she said, “that’s the same thing that happened to you!”

When I was a 1 year old, I fell between two flights of stairs in the basement of our home and I fell on my head and cracked my skull…..(yeah, I know, go figure.) Anyway, I don’t know that there is any significance to that, but I do have to say that when she was hanging there in the dream, the danger, and fear were very real to me. I could actually imagine falling like that.

Well, there it is. It’s funny, but even just writing it down like I’m doing is causing me to start seeing some connections. And, of course, if anyone has any input about it, I’d love to hear it. Thank you and take care!

-Beanaboo

Old 02-14-2005, 06:35 PM   #25
    Genabeena

Genabeena HB User

And now, I'm just noticing that there were some posts here I never saw before.

Belize, OMG, I didn't realize. And now it's been more than a month and I didn't even know all that happened to you. Wooah! What on earth? There has got to be some kind of reasonable explanation.

So what's going on at this point in time, hun? I'm so sorry I didn't see your post sooner. Hope to hear from you soon. Do take care.

-Beana

Old 02-15-2005, 05:02 PM   #26
    Genabeena

Genabeena HB User

You know, Belizie, I've been thinking about your news in your last post, and I just can't wrap my brain around it. Are you sure there wasn't just some misunderstanding between you and you know who? If you're in the neighborhood, feel free to jump in and talk about this more. I'll be around.

Old 02-18-2005, 06:09 AM   #27
    Man Apart
    Veteran

Man Apart HB User

On the topic of dreams, um, I dont know why but I consistently have like the same pattern of dreams every week. lol. I just have a really weird, crazy subconscious or something. I dunno. I really do need to cut back on the horror movies. I keep dreaming of the dead zombie girl coming out of my tv or like walking in the halways or crawling from out of my attic. But the last one was pretty surreal, cos this time the dead girl was Roselyn. She was walking in my hallway with her back turned and dripping blood profusely. She turned around and she had like massive facial wounds and i could see her braisn and stuff and her hair was all mangled. It was the only time in my dream/nightmare that I didnt run away.

Another weird dream I always have is I always wake up with my teeth falling out for some reason. lol. Its like one of my biggest fears for some reason is like losing my teeth lol.

There are others, but dont really wanna get into too many.

Um, its nice to hear from you Geena, your dreams are just as crazy as mine. lol. Thanks for sharing though.

Old 02-20-2005, 12:38 PM   #28
    Genabeena

Genabeena HB User

The feeling is mutual, Man in the moon.

Your dreams are really interesting. The description is so vivid. Do they seem vivid to you? Like, when you wake up, do you kinda think, “that was a vivid dream?” Also, I’m curious how you felt when you were having that “Roselyn” dream. You mentioned that you didn’t run away for once, but that doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t experience some fear.

If you ask me, I think that the dream series represents a progression in your waking life from having a relatively lower self-efficacy to having a relatively higher self-efficacy, and Roselyn is acting as a sort of catalyst for this change. In other words, in your mind, she is like the one bridge that leads from your former self, to a new self who you would aspire to become. Just so you know, the term “self-efficacy” is a little bit of teacher terminology. It refers to one’s feelings, thoughts and beliefs on the subject of one’s own abilities. Low self-efficacy is sort of tantamount to a low level of belief in one’s own skills, abilities and talents. At the risk of being sort of repetitive- you don’t believe in yourself, but if you can succeed in the Roselyn department (which is somehow a more attainable goal than other things in your mind) then your self-efficacy will increase, thus making other goals seem more attainable- and the more you believe, the more you are likely to achieve.

Furthermore, I think that what makes the Roselyn related goals more attainable than others is- first of all- her disposition. It is a comfort to think of this sweet, nurturing, kind person. It is with acceptance and encouragement that people find the courage to try things that they don’t know if they can do (at least I know this is a good general rule in teaching). She has the potential to provide this for you. Hence, something that normally would seem so frightening that you would instantly run from it becomes, somehow….okay.

There is something really out of whack with your fight or flight mechanism, my good friend. Things which, in reality, pose no real danger, are deadly frightening to you. There has to be a reason for that. Certainly it is possible that you simply have a biological chemical imbalance and meds are the only way to correct it, but with your past, I think it’s got to be more likely that you experienced something (most likely on more than one occasion) that switched your “fight or flight” into overdrive and now you can’t switch it off. It’s triggered by all kinds of odd things……It might have even been conditioned into you by something that happened repeatedly.

First thing it’s important to know when talking about fight or flight is that, from a scientific standpoint, the purpose of life is to protect life and create more life. Therefore, all actions, reactions, or inactions, are ultimately directed at two main goals: perpetuation of the species, and survival. In your particular case, when the fight or flight process kicks in (which is an actual, physiological process aimed at the goal of survival) your rational (or conscious) part of your brain, may know full well that there is no immediate threat to your life. Your unconscious brain, on the other hand (which is also responsible for dreams) really, honest to gosh, thinks you are going to DIE. In your case, it sounds like it is very intense.

Have you ever tried hypnosis, Manny-o? You simply have got to get to the bottom of this. It is so bad for you- all this excessive negative distress. Such a strain on your systems.

The tooth dream………aaaahhh……..that’s a classic, isn’t it? I’ve had that one myself too. It was a long time ago and I never forgot it. I always felt it signified a fear of change. You’re having this dream with an unusual frequency, though. Hey, wasn’t Mermaid having the lost teeth dream too? (Or something similar). Yeah, I just did a search, and it’s true. Mer had a lost tooth dream. She said she was having a lot of those kinds of dreams lately, and… oh my gosh….she had a preggers dream too. Deary, I really hope your not preggers. (I had a lot of those when I was the first time.) Course you can have those dreams when your not preggers, too. Sometimes, it can be premonitory- I believe, based on experience- or it can also just be that innate female drive calling out to you as you are coming of age. Hey guys, it ain’t easy being a woman in modern times. It’s HARD.

I think both you and Manna are young. You are on the threshold of life. And when you are at that particular place in your life, the future is filled with endless possibilities- some good, some bad. And even the good ones have a down side. It is very scary. What is less obvious is that the bad ones also have an up side. You may be able to gain some sense of control and direction if you can come up with one or two concrete, and very specific things that you want out of life. The trick is, you can’t just fluff this off and say, “oh I guess I want aaaa…….career in the performing arts,” if your true bliss is really something else. You really have to look deep with this kind of thing. It's not that easy and it does take time for some people. I am, amazingly, still trying to figure it out. Life seems to guide me to a certain extent, but I also have a certain nature, which dictates things quite a bit too. It’s no accident that I ended up in education. And even though my first pregnancy was unplanned, I know that I really did deeply wish to have children- though it would have been better for things to have happened in a different order.

But just one, specific, little thing. For me, the first thing was, “I just definitely want to get out my parents’ place and have my own place. So, I just need a job.” And that led me to my first real childcare job. So what I mean to say is, just be really honest with yourself and ask yourself this one question, “what do I REALLY want?” If it is children, then it’s good to know that so you can start preparing and doing the things that a childcare bound person needs to be doing. Because, Mermaid, I do think that your unconscious is signaling you that it is time to make some decisions about life. But, you probably don’t need any more pressure right now. Young people have plenty of pressure on them. But I do recommend carving out plenty of time for meditation. Joseph Campbell recommends about an hour a day. He doesn’t call it meditation, though. He calls it something else….well, I can’t think of it now, but I’ll tell you if I remember.

Old 02-20-2005, 01:20 PM   #29
    Genabeena

Genabeena HB User

I also want to talk about Mer's dream about the basement, but I'll have to postpone that one because I've run out of time alotted for healthboards posts for now. That's really interesting, though....like we're all trapped in this state of limbo or something. I don't think that's really the reality, though, from my POV. I mean, we come to the boards very much because we choose to. (Scratching head.) Well, I need to think on it some more, anyway.

Old 02-20-2005, 10:22 PM   #30
    MermaidMer
    (female)

MermaidMer HB User

Hi hi,

Yes, I have had some teeth falling out dreams...I looked it up online and I think it's an indicator that there is a lot of anxiety in your life, which is true for me, but moreso for Manny. The preggers dreams I think are just my woman's instinct kicking in. My body seems to be craving a baby, but I am not at the right stage in life for that (finances, college, plus the fact that I'm single). Gosh darn these female hormones of mine! There was a point in time where I ran out of my BC pills and I though I could have been, but luckily I'm not.

I know that the time is coming for me to start to figure out my life. Trust me, Gena, I get enough of that pressure from my mother. She calls me at least three times a week asking if I've gone to the career counselor yet, and it's starting to drive me crazy. I know I need to get it in gear and put a resume together and start thinking about getting a job, but I'm still worrying about writing papers and passing my classes so I can even graduate. My dad told me I shouldn't worry about job stuff until May, and I think I'm going to follow his advice. I know what I want to do with my life, so I think that's a good start.

Anyway, I wanted to check in with everyone to see how you're doing. I'm actually doing really well. I got back on my Lexapro (15mg/d) and I'm starting to feel like myself again. I don't know if I'll ever be 100%, but I'm getting there. I hope everyone is well.

~Mermaid

Closed Thread