It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• Had a HOrrible experience on Effexor and want to know why?? HELP PLEASE with this

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-09-2004, 04:03 PM   #1
    MissGooberLynn

MissGooberLynn HB User
    Question Had a HOrrible experience on Effexor and want to know why?? HELP PLEASE with this

I was on the drug Effexor for nearly a year and half. Each time my dosage my increased, my depression increased. I also started experiencing panic (I never had panic attacks prior to going on Effexor) sweating attacks at night time, decreased concentration and I felt "On edge" all the time (was yelling at people when the slightest thing went wrong or irritate me). I also started having thoughts of death and suicide and felt there was no point to my life. When I finally found a GOOD Psychiatrist he confirmed that I was having a "negative, paradoxical" experience from the Effexor and that I was not the only person who has had really negative reactions to Effexor. Now that I am off Effexor I no longer have any panic or sweating or the severe thoughts of death. BUT my depression has not gone away. I have also been on Prozac which turned me into a zombie and decreased my sex drive down to nothing. Paxil did little more my depression. Therefore, I am not a strong believer in antidepressants but there is a drug on the market called Lexapro my Dr. said I could try. However before I put another antidepressant into my system I need to understand why I (and others) reacted this way to Effexor, is there a unique ingredient in the drug that caused my negative symtoms? (I know Effexor works on both Seratonin AND Dopamine, most AD only work on Seratonin, could this be a factor?)
    ANY info would help. I may be one of those people who do no receieve beneficial treatment from anti depressants, but I do feel the need to understand why I reacted so negatively to one. As I read once in book about mental health, BUYER BEWARE when it comes to Psychiatric Drugs, many psychiatrists and doctors are being pressured into becoming sales people as well as doctors.

Last edited by MissGooberLynn; 12-09-2004 at 04:05 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-09-2004, 04:49 PM   #2
    mudhound
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

mudhound HB User
    Re: Had a HOrrible experience on Effexor and want to know why?? HELP PLEASE with this

All i can say is that i'm on it and it has worked. Each person is differant

Mudhound

Old 12-09-2004, 07:36 PM   #3
    MissGooberLynn

MissGooberLynn HB User
    Re: Had a HOrrible experience on Effexor and want to know why?? HELP PLEASE with this

I know that each person is different. I was looking for people who have a medical or detailed answer as to why I reacted the way I did.

Old 12-09-2004, 08:27 PM   #4
    RainSerpent
    Veteran
    (male)

RainSerpent HB User

From some of the posts on these boards I get the impression that Effexor really sucks.

Old 12-10-2004, 02:39 PM   #5
    mother of six

mother of six HB User

I used Effexor for about a year. I was lifeless. I just kind of strolled through each day not feeling or reacting to anything. I also had panic attacks from it. Unfortunately we a like guinea pigs with the meds. You need to find the right "cocktail". I stopped using Effexor and started on Lexapro. It worked for a while but then I started sliding into a depression and my sex drive was zero . Wasn't good for my husband. I stopped the Lexapro and started Wellbutrin. Had horrible side effects from it so I stopped that also. The only medication I now take is Lamictal. My head seems alot clearer, my creativity has come back to life and I feel alot happier .

Old 12-14-2004, 05:17 PM   #6
    baby_doll82

baby_doll82 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MissGooberLynn
    I was on the drug Effexor for nearly a year and half. Each time my dosage my increased, my depression increased. I also started experiencing panic (I never had panic attacks prior to going on Effexor) sweating attacks at night time, decreased concentration and I felt "On edge" all the time (was yelling at people when the slightest thing went wrong or irritate me). I also started having thoughts of death and suicide and felt there was no point to my life. When I finally found a GOOD Psychiatrist he confirmed that I was having a "negative, paradoxical" experience from the Effexor and that I was not the only person who has had really negative reactions to Effexor. Now that I am off Effexor I no longer have any panic or sweating or the severe thoughts of death. BUT my depression has not gone away. I have also been on Prozac which turned me into a zombie and decreased my sex drive down to nothing. Paxil did little more my depression. Therefore, I am not a strong believer in antidepressants but there is a drug on the market called Lexapro my Dr. said I could try. However before I put another antidepressant into my system I need to understand why I (and others) reacted this way to Effexor, is there a unique ingredient in the drug that caused my negative symtoms? (I know Effexor works on both Seratonin AND Dopamine, most AD only work on Seratonin, could this be a factor?)
    ANY info would help. I may be one of those people who do no receieve beneficial treatment from anti depressants, but I do feel the need to understand why I reacted so negatively to one. As I read once in book about mental health, BUYER BEWARE when it comes to Psychiatric Drugs, many psychiatrists and doctors are being pressured into becoming sales people as well as doctors.

that sounds like what happened to my friend when they put her on effexor ER, so your not definately not alone

Old 04-13-2005, 10:07 PM   #7
    johnnymorton
    (male)

johnnymorton HB User

effexor does not effect dopamine directly, maybe through some process after it has been taken yet it sonly directly blocks serotonin and norepinepherine. You have already tried 2 ssri's and effexor and want to try another ssri first. I think your dr. doesnt think much. He should have started you on an ssri if that didnt work another ssri then maybe effexor or remeron. If I were you I would try wellbutrin next or even wellbutrin with the lexapro because it seems like you have Treatment resistant Depression and if these options dont work you will either have to try a tryciclic ad or an maoi and if those dont work you are gonna have to try ECT, and that is quite scary to some yet my dr told me its actually very very effective. Good luck, if I were you I would read up on the disease you are suffering from and the alternative treatment options cause nobody knows your body and how you feel like you and even though your dr wants to help you two heads working for the same cause are better than 1, every time I go to the dr cause a med wanst working I was the one who said what I would try next cause regular dr's know about depression and anti depressants yet time is limited and so is their knowledge my dr. is quite intellingent but like many people here that want relief I bet you they know more about these drugs than their general practicioner.

Old 04-13-2005, 11:14 PM   #8
    analog2000
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

analog2000 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnnymorton
    regular dr's know about depression and anti depressants yet time is limited and so is their knowledge ...I bet you they know more about these drugs than their general practicioner.
    Congratulations on being so knowledgeable about your illness! It is so important to always be your own advocate.

We can't expect GPs to know everything. Most people wouldn't expect their GPs to manage their cancer or diabetes, but they think nothing of asking them to manage their depression medication.

Depression is a serious illness, and psychiatrists are the experts. If you are struggling with depression, and especially if you are not seeing good results from your meds, I would recommend seeing a psychiatrist. This is their specialty, and they will be able to give you so much more info than a GP.

Good luck.

Old 04-14-2005, 11:14 AM   #9
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MissGooberLynn
    Obviously, everyone is different. Everyone doesn't have the same chemical makeup, genetics, thumbprints, etc.

But in reading up on neurotransmitters, I've found that the eventual result of long term use of medication or other drug intake that targets brain receptors is something called deregulation of receptors. This means some receptors shrivel up and die or some just become desensitized. This explains things like tolerance and drug "poop out".

So yeah, buyer beware because doctors are not concerned with deregulation as it could be far in the future but it can also happen shorter term. I't is not of their concern, because all they are going to do if a patient complains of a problem or symptom, they are to give the appropriate or current popular approved drugs. They aren't worried about the future, just that the drugs may take care of today's complaints.

THey certainly are not going to test your levels for serotonin, norepinphrine or any other neurotransmitter because no test exists. If a doctor tells you that you are low in serotonin , ask him to prove it. I mean, when a doctor tells you that you might have diabetes, and you tell him to prove it, well, some blood testing later, he will prove it.

It's all theory, and although quite good theory based on science, it still has too much room for question. Serotonin itself is a powerful vasoconstictor and norepinphrine is basically adrenaline, both are good in small amounts and when needed; but too much wreck havoc on the nervous system.

I don't know if it would help you, but here are some tips I found about natural ways to increase good brain chemicals. Maybe you could try them for awhile(don't expect instant results) and see. The drugs will always be there, they aren't going anywhere so if all else fails you can go that route.........

Studies have shown that serotonin levels are increased with increased activity and the production of serotonin is increased for some days after the activity. This is the safest way of increasing serotonin levels and many other benefits result from regular exercise.

Serotonin levels can also be controlled through the diet. A diet deficient in omega-3 fatty acids may lower brain levels of serotonin and cause depression. Complex carbohydrates raise the level of tryptophan in the brain resulting in a calming effect. Vitamin C is also required for the conversion of tryptophan into serotonin.

Flax oil, flax seeds, fish, fish oils, milk, turkey, walnuts, cottage cheese and meats have omega's and tryptophan in them.

Old 04-16-2005, 04:17 AM   #10
    sungirlcali
    (female)

sungirlcali HB User

Paxil helped me a lot.

Old 04-16-2005, 09:46 AM   #11
    weary one
    (female)

weary one HB User

hi - your Effexor side effects sound very similar to what my sister had. She was on Effexor and I was on Celexa and Wellbutrin. Now we are both on Celexa and neither one of us has any negative side effects....maybe give Celexa a try?...but I'm no expert. excersing and eating well make me feel better too. but because I'm so down some days, i can't do it. I just lay around. anyways, I haven't been hearing good things about Effexor. but Celexa is working for me.

Old 05-18-2005, 09:36 PM   #12
    lucylane
    (female)

lucylane HB User

The effexor alone is probably not enough to make you feel well. I take a combo of effexor & clonazepam (anti-anxiety tablets). The 2 have been wonderful for me. I feel normal. I suffered with depression for years and I also had panic attacks, where I had trouble taking deep breaths. I also became nervous walking in some area, afraid I might fall.

My doctor prescribed the above meds and now I no longer suffer from depression or anxiety. I'm on the min. dose of both. I have been using them now for 5 years.

They also help relieve my pulsatile tinnitus (heart beat noise in my ear) for 80 to 90% of the time.

Clonazepam even helps my mom; got rid of her restless legs syndrome.

Old 05-19-2005, 07:13 AM   #13
    ZFREEIN2003

ZFREEIN2003 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jennita
    Obviously, everyone is different. Everyone doesn't have the same chemical makeup, genetics, thumbprints, etc.

But in reading up on neurotransmitters, I've found that the eventual result of long term use of medication or other drug intake that targets brain receptors is something called deregulation of receptors. This means some receptors shrivel up and die or some just become desensitized. This explains things like tolerance and drug "poop out".

So yeah, buyer beware because doctors are not concerned with deregulation as it could be far in the future but it can also happen shorter term. I't is not of their concern, because all they are going to do if a patient complains of a problem or symptom, they are to give the appropriate or current popular approved drugs. They aren't worried about the future, just that the drugs may take care of today's complaints.

THey certainly are not going to test your levels for serotonin, norepinphrine or any other neurotransmitter because no test exists. If a doctor tells you that you are low in serotonin , ask him to prove it. I mean, when a doctor tells you that you might have diabetes, and you tell him to prove it, well, some blood testing later, he will prove it.

It's all theory, and although quite good theory based on science, it still has too much room for question. Serotonin itself is a powerful vasoconstictor and norepinphrine is basically adrenaline, both are good in small amounts and when needed; but too much wreck havoc on the nervous system.

I don't know if it would help you, but here are some tips I found about natural ways to increase good brain chemicals. Maybe you could try them for awhile(don't expect instant results) and see. The drugs will always be there, they aren't going anywhere so if all else fails you can go that route.........

Studies have shown that serotonin levels are increased with increased activity and the production of serotonin is increased for some days after the activity. This is the safest way of increasing serotonin levels and many other benefits result from regular exercise.

Serotonin levels can also be controlled through the diet. A diet deficient in omega-3 fatty acids may lower brain levels of serotonin and cause depression. Complex carbohydrates raise the level of tryptophan in the brain resulting in a calming effect. Vitamin C is also required for the conversion of tryptophan into serotonin.

Flax oil, flax seeds, fish, fish oils, milk, turkey, walnuts, cottage cheese and meats have omega's and tryptophan in them.
    This is such great advice and anything that we can do naturally to help ourselves is alot better than taking drugs. However, when you are depressed, it's hard just to get out of bed in the morning let alone eat properly and exercise. Personally, I can't do it. I'm hoping Wellbutrin will do it for me.

Old 05-22-2005, 04:23 AM   #14
    lucylane
    (female)

lucylane HB User

There are 2 good med sites that are worth looking at.

www.drugtalk.com & www.{REMOVED}.com

They may give some answers on any drugs you would like to find out more above.

www.drugtalk.com is owned by healthboards and it shares many opinions on drugs by users.

Last edited by moderator2; 05-22-2005 at 04:27 PM. Reason: please read and follow the posting rules for websites

Old 05-22-2005, 09:38 PM   #15
    moonstruck33
    (female)

moonstruck33 HB User

I was on Effexor two years ago, for about 6 months,at 75 mg. and I was fine.

THIS TIME, I was on Effexor for 2 weeks and I got more depressed and was even suicidal. Going off the 'rat poison' was even worse...vertigo was AWFUL and lasted way longer than one could ever imagine. Yea, I'd say I had a 'negative' affect from the crap!

Anyway, that's my testimony, and I'm stickin' to it!

BTW: I tried Wellbutrin next, and it was WORSE!!!! I have a total aversion to AD's now and, until there's something that comes on the market without side effects, I'm gonna try every 'natural' remedy on the market first.

Good luck.

Closed Thread