It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• Has anyone tried "Cymbalta" ? It's very new but suppose to work great..

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-10-2004, 03:09 PM   #1
    Josh_B
    (male)

Josh_B HB User
    Has anyone tried "Cymbalta" ? It's very new but suppose to work great..

I went to the doc today, and after some testing he put me on this. He says it's suppose to help with Depression, Anxiety, and ADD all at the same time. Little or no sides, and suppose to have a real high success rate.

Anybody else tried this stuff yet ?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-10-2004, 11:20 PM   #2
    valleygurl
    Inactive
    (female)

valleygurl HB User
    Re: Has anyone tried "Cymbalta" ? It's very new but suppose to work great..

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Josh_B
    I went to the doc today, and after some testing he put me on this. He says it's suppose to help with Depression, Anxiety, and ADD all at the same time. Little or no sides, and suppose to have a real high success rate.

Anybody else tried this stuff yet ?
    Hi There, I was put on this medication the same day as you! I was going to post the same question as you but decided to scroll down through with hopes of finding some info on this stuff. I really hope it works, and fast!!!! Keep me posted on your progress with it and i will do the same. Thanks, ValleyGurl

Old 12-10-2004, 11:37 PM   #3
    Josh_B
    (male)

Josh_B HB User

Hey Vallygurl ! That is neat !

I will definately keep everyone posted. My doc had great things to say about it.

Good luck to you as well !

josh

Old 12-11-2004, 06:38 AM   #4
    valleygurl
    Inactive
    (female)

valleygurl HB User

Hi Josh, My Doc had some great things to say about it too! He talked at great length about the studies done on this med as well as his experiences with it with his patients. He told me he has a pt similar to me, in the aspect that i have depression as well as chronic pain. The pt was on a depression med that wasnt working well for her and also taking fair size doses of neurontin for pain ( same as myself ), he says since taking Cymbalta her depression has greatly improved and the med has also helped her pain so much that she has been able to d/c using the neurontin. It's weird how depression meds seem to help with pain, but it does seeing how docs are prescribing it everyday for chronic pain sufferers even without depression. Did your doc say from his experiences with his pts how long this med seems to be taking to start working? ValleyGurl

Old 12-11-2004, 01:07 PM   #5
    Josh_B
    (male)

Josh_B HB User

Vallygurl, yes he did say it's take "2-4 weeks" to start working. However i've done some research and found some people saying it works within the first week! I am hopefull that is true. I am on my second day, so far so good. Can't really tell yet, but I am sure 24 hrs is too soon anyway.

My doc also told me this helps with severe anxiety, and ADD. Which I have both so we'll see how it works out.

Hows yours coming along ?

Last edited by Josh_B; 12-11-2004 at 01:07 PM.

Old 12-11-2004, 03:16 PM   #6
    valleygurl
    Inactive
    (female)

valleygurl HB User

Hey, i cant complain! So far so good for me too!!! I am thoroughly excited that i have not yet experienced any side effects! But of course it is very early in the game. I am just going to keep very positive thoughts about this med and hopefully that too will help me feel better. I am also glad that i found somebody else (you) who is taking this med to compare notes with. By the way, do you take anything else over the counter to supplement with? Talk to ya soon, Wendy

Old 12-13-2004, 08:59 PM   #7
    valleygurl
    Inactive
    (female)

valleygurl HB User

Josh, How are you????? Are you doing ok on the Cymbalta? Hey i am 4 pills in and still hanging in there. No side effects as of yet, hurray!!! But i am also waiting for it to really kick in. Boy i really hope it hurrys, dont know how much further or lower i can go. Talk to ya soon, ValleyGurl

Old 12-14-2004, 06:37 AM   #8
    vamp36
    Senior Veteran

vamp36 HB Uservamp36 HB User

I think Cymbalta is a good med. I've been on it since August. SO far it's working great for me. I feel MUCH BETTER these days.

Old 12-15-2004, 06:24 AM   #9
    Sandra Ivins
    (female)

Sandra Ivins HB User

I've been on Cymbalta for a week now & so far, so good. I had some nausea at first & a lingering headache for about 3 days, but I feel good now. I'm on 30mg for another week & then I go to 60mg. Not sure how that will do. I've noticed since taking Cymbalta that I get tired real easy. And when I di go to sleep I am OUT!! But...I feel like I actually rest when I sleep now. Good luck to you all!

Old 12-15-2004, 08:03 AM   #10
    rumblinbabs

rumblinbabs HB User

Hi everyone. I am into my 4th week with Cymbalta at 30 mg. Doc wanted to put me up to 60 but I am fighting it after having dizzy spells with Effexor. I had some naseua and headaches at first, but that seems better. I haven't noticed the benefits of anti-anxiety part of the medicine so I'm backing it up with 1 mg. Ativan each day. My doctor may just treat me with that after the holidays, as that is my bigger problem - anxiety and not so much depression. Doesn't want me coming down off the Cymbalta during the holidays, as I had such a rough time with the Effexor. I have suffered from tinnitus in one ear for a few years (related to a health problem) but it seems worse with the Cymbalta. Also, have been experiencing some "rumbling" in my head, which seems worse since I've been on the antidepressants. Anyone else experience this problem? I go a few days with the rumbling, then a few days off. The "on" days, I am so irritable, I can hardly stand it. Knock on wood, it's day 3 now with no rumbling! Thanks for any insight and good luck to the rest of you.

Old 12-15-2004, 08:45 AM   #11
    vamp36
    Senior Veteran

vamp36 HB Uservamp36 HB User

I had a few minor side effects when I started the Cymbalta. Over time they have gone away. I know some people do get sleepy from the Cymbalta, so they take it later in the day. One even takes it at night time now. It works for them. The ringing in the ears, I had that for a bit also. I can't say for sure I got it from the Cymbalta though. I am on many meds for my liver illness as well. But that did also go away. Good luck to all of you. I really hope the Cymbalta works good for you like it does me. TIna

Old 12-15-2004, 08:02 PM   #12
    Josh_B
    (male)

Josh_B HB User

Hey Vallygurl, sorry for taking so long !

I am doing great. However, i'm probably on a higher dose than you. I'm on 60mg/day for now, but I feel VERY good these days. I can especially tell in the morning, I wake up happy now. It's great..

How bout you ?

Old 12-15-2004, 09:10 PM   #13
    valleygurl
    Inactive
    (female)

valleygurl HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Josh_B
    Hey Vallygurl, sorry for taking so long !

I am doing great. However, i'm probably on a higher dose than you. I'm on 60mg/day for now, but I feel VERY good these days. I can especially tell in the morning, I wake up happy now. It's great..

How bout you ?
    Josh, Great to hear from you!! I am sooooo glad that you are doing so well on this med! I am doing better myself. I know that i still have a ways to go but i definately feel better. No side effects either! I too was started on the 60mg. My Doc didnt want to start me out on 30mg because he said with his experience with this med so far that the pts. he started out on 30mg it hasnt done a thing for them. I cant say that i am waking up happy, but i can say that i am not having the doom and gloom feeling as soon as i open my eyes in the morning. It was great hearing from you, keep me posted!
    Wendy

Old 12-16-2004, 04:45 AM   #14
    sadies mom
    (female)

sadies mom HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by valleygurl
    Josh, Great to hear from you!! I am sooooo glad that you are doing so well on this med! I am doing better myself. I know that i still have a ways to go but i definately feel better. No side effects either! I too was started on the 60mg. My Doc didnt want to start me out on 30mg because he said with his experience with this med so far that the pts. he started out on 30mg it hasnt done a thing for them. I cant say that i am waking up happy, but i can say that i am not having the doom and gloom feeling as soon as i open my eyes in the morning. It was great hearing from you, keep me posted!
    Wendy
    valley gurl and josh; how did you transition from your previous med if you were on anything? i have been on paxil for years and am changing to cymbalta. the doc wants me to lower the dose of the paxil gradually over a week then have 3 days with nothing ~THEN start the cymbalta! i am anxiuos to get started with it as i've heard such good things about it and the paxil has basically been doing nothing for a long time. any info you could share with me would be helpful. Thanks!

Old 12-16-2004, 07:54 AM   #15
    valleygurl
    Inactive
    (female)

valleygurl HB User

Sadies mom, Hi There! I think that once you start the Cymbalta you will be pleasantly surprised. I had tried other antidepressants and I just never really felt a whole lot different. Well with this med i started feeling the effects from it in like 4 days. I hope that i just keep feeling better and better. I had been on Lexapro for over a year, i took my last Lexapro last Thursday night and then took my first Cymbalta Friday night. So no break in between. As bad as i was feeling, i was already afraid of myself so i cant even imagine if the Doc would have wanted me to wean down on the Lexapro and then go a few days with nothing!!!! I most definately would have majorly went off the deep end!!! Good Luck! ValleyGurl

Closed Thread