HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Depression (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/depression/)
-   -   Ibuprofen Boosts Mood? (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/depression/234710-ibuprofen-boosts-mood.html)

pittguy578 12-20-2004 11:12 AM

Ibuprofen Boosts Mood?

I have been suffering from depression on and off for the past six months. I recently discovered by accident that taking ibuprofen seems to elevate my mood. I have never heard anything about this effect before. I have tried other natural treatments with no success. Possibly it has something to do with ibuprofen's effects on the cortisol level in the bloodstream? Anyone else experience anything similar?

mudhound 12-20-2004 09:20 PM

Re: Ibuprofen Boosts Mood?

that's different. I could happen?????

pittguy578 12-21-2004 05:40 PM

[QUOTE=mudhound]that's different. I could happen?????[/QUOTE]
I thought it was weird too, but I definitely notice and effect. I am not sure why. I can tell when it's starting to wear off so it's not in my head. Who knows..the human body is strange:)

lori j 12-22-2004 01:13 AM

Be careful taking too much ibuprofen, it can eat away the stomach lining, cause stomach bleeding & ulcers, take it from one who had two ulcers from it!

As for it helping the mood, it never did for me!

lane1961 12-22-2004 07:48 PM

Yes..I have noticed it changes my mood too...very calming...I tell others about it but they don't get the same feeling...but then again they don't suffer with depression...I thought it was just me and my chemistry :)

stuckmissy 12-22-2004 10:52 PM

I have other family members who suffer from depression (untreated, undiagnosed etc) but one of them takes ibuprofen ofter (could it be because it helps?) and she also i just recently found out both these members take a natural supliment for stress and they say it helps. Interesting.

CtRich 01-16-2005 08:21 PM

It works for me too. I think it just takes away the aches and pains and since I feel better physically, I feel better mentally.

Wolfee 01-16-2005 08:28 PM

Wow, maybe I should try some... :D

Melvey 12-07-2005 07:30 PM

Ibuprofen really does help control mood. I accidentally found that out over the past few months. I OD'd on Ibuprofen I was taking for the past few years and had to take Nexium to fix the stomach problem. Too much Ibuprofen stops the creation of the lining in the stomach which protects it from acid.
I too the Nexium for a week and am off of it now.
When I stopped taking the ibuprofen I noticed very low mood swings: depression & high anxiety . I started taking the Ibuprofen again and things are back to normal. It was an amazing co-incidence. Its like a wonder drug!
Take the ibuprofen with food and take the enteric coated tablets that help keep it from activating in the stomach, allowing it to activate in the intestines. :wave:

dazedandconfused10 12-07-2005 07:59 PM

Are you taking it to relieve pain, is the reduced pain possibly helping your mood? or maybe it does for you, not me

jabba jabba 12-12-2005 06:34 PM

yes ive taken ibuprofen to help my mood after finding information saying it releases endorphins which is a natural painkiller and natural antidepressent