It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• Help! How do I know if it's Effexor withdrawal or Wellbutrin side effects?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-05-2005, 05:24 PM   #1
    DKScully
    (female)

DKScully HB UserDKScully HB User
    Question Help! How do I know if it's Effexor withdrawal or Wellbutrin side effects?

As you see from the title of this post, I have come to the realization that going off a medication while starting a new one can be very confusing...

In terms of Effexor withdrawal--or I THINK it was--I had a couple really bad days last week, with dizziness, the "brain zaps" everyone talks about, and basically crying about anything and everything... and then I thought I was better. But today, I've felt light-headed, and the last couple days, the cries are back... I've only been on my full dose of Wellbutrin for 9 days, and off Effexor for the same amount of time (the week before I was taking half my effexor and half my dose of Wellbutrin). The last couple nights, I've ended up in hysterics for the stupidest reasons.... Tonight, because I forwarded an e-mail from [ please do not post websites ] that I thought included a link to a petition, and it didn't! I get out-of-control upset...

I'm not sure what I'm asking here, and my boyfriend tells me I can't really know, so I shouldn't worry-- but I need some hope. Do these sound like Effexor withdrawal symptoms, or a reaction to Wellbutrin? I am just wondering if I should be worried that Wellbutrin is causing this, or if it's typical Effexor withdrawal that I should just tough it through and be optimistic that it'll end...

I don't know, I'm very tired (not sleeping well either) and confused and really not doing well... I put on a "together" face at work, then break down when I get home. Sorry to bother you all with so many of my problems lately, and thanks for those of you who've responded in the past...

ADDED AT 11 p.m.: I haven't stopped crying about stupid stuff for the last 6 hours... ugh.

Last edited by moderator2; 01-06-2005 at 06:54 AM. Reason: please do not post websites

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2005, 08:13 AM   #2
    DKScully
    (female)

Re: Help! How do I know if it's Effexor withdrawal or Wellbutrin side effects?

Anyone? any thoughts? please?

Old 01-06-2005, 09:11 AM   #3
    worrywort78
    (female)

worrywort78 HB User

oh no - that stinks! i know just how you feel. it sounds to me like the symptoms are from the effexor withdrawl. that is what i felt like when i went off of that med before. if you don't mind me asking- how exactly (what dose and for how long of each) did you wean off the effexor and go on the wellbutrin? just curious- because i will be doing the same thing soon--- going off effexor while starting zoloft. i would definitely call your doctor and speak to him/her about how you are feeling. not that i think there is a serious problem-- just that they will be able to give you definite answers and help you with the adjustment. i know it's hard, but try and hang in there-- it will eventually go away.

Old 01-06-2005, 10:44 AM   #4
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

i would go to a half dose of wellbutrin for a while and also take some valium type meds, if you cab get any
    these go well with all antidepressants and do help to smooth things
    with antidepressants its best to accept that there may well be some mysteries and just work your way thru them without worrying why

also it can be helpful if you can find a pharmacist who will talk with you as they can offer helpful meds advice, some wont talk sadly

Last edited by hry33; 01-06-2005 at 10:45 AM.

Old 01-06-2005, 11:40 AM   #5
    DKScully
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by worrywort78
    oh no - that stinks! i know just how you feel. it sounds to me like the symptoms are from the effexor withdrawl. that is what i felt like when i went off of that med before. if you don't mind me asking- how exactly (what dose and for how long of each) did you wean off the effexor and go on the wellbutrin? just curious- because i will be doing the same thing soon--- going off effexor while starting zoloft. i would definitely call your doctor and speak to him/her about how you are feeling. not that i think there is a serious problem-- just that they will be able to give you definite answers and help you with the adjustment. i know it's hard, but try and hang in there-- it will eventually go away.
    Thanks for your words of encouragement... That's what I really need right now. In terms of going off Effexor, this is what my doctor told me to do:

1. At the time I went off it, I was on 150 mg of Effexor XR.

2. When my doctor decided to switch me to Wellbutrin, I started taking 150 mg of Wellbutrin XL every day, and began to take 150 mg of Effexor every other day. This lasted a week.

3. On the second week, I stopped the Effexor totally, and started on my full dose of Wellbutrin (300 mg).

4. I've also been put on 1 mg of clonazepam to be taken before bed to help with the anxiety and insomnia that may accompany these medications.

From what I've read, this is really fast for going off Effexor, and was suggested by a family doctor, not a psychiatrist. If you have any suicidal tendencies, really take care of yourself during this time and be very good to yourself. I think my doctor considered me a non-risk, because I have a tendency to come off as much more "together" and "rational" than I am. (I really need to talk to a psychiatrist, I think, but that's another matter....) But it's definitely come close to pushing me over the edge, and though it's more than like the Effexor, as you've said, I can't help but worry that it's the Wellbutrin.

For me, even though I'm still having this worrisome anxiety/crying fits, I only had two or three really bad days in terms of the physical symptoms, which many would find surprising, given how quickly I stopped the Effexor. So, I kind of appreciate the way the doctor had me go about it--it seems like dragging it out might just prolong the inevitable.

At any rate, I am glad these are typical withdrawal symptoms... How long did you experience them for, if you remember?

Thanks!

Old 01-06-2005, 11:40 AM   #6
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DKScully
    As you see from the title of this post, I have come to the realization that going off a medication while starting a new one can be very confusing...

In terms of Effexor withdrawal--or I THINK it was--I had a couple really bad days last week, with dizziness, the "brain zaps" everyone talks about, and basically crying about anything and everything... and then I thought I was better. But today, I've felt light-headed, and the last couple days, the cries are back... I've only been on my full dose of Wellbutrin for 9 days, and off Effexor for the same amount of time (the week before I was taking half my effexor and half my dose of Wellbutrin). The last couple nights, I've ended up in hysterics for the stupidest reasons.... Tonight, because I forwarded an e-mail from [ please do not post websites ] that I thought included a link to a petition, and it didn't! I get out-of-control upset...

I'm not sure what I'm asking here, and my boyfriend tells me I can't really know, so I shouldn't worry-- but I need some hope. Do these sound like Effexor withdrawal symptoms, or a reaction to Wellbutrin? I am just wondering if I should be worried that Wellbutrin is causing this, or if it's typical Effexor withdrawal that I should just tough it through and be optimistic that it'll end...

I don't know, I'm very tired (not sleeping well either) and confused and really not doing well... I put on a "together" face at work, then break down when I get home. Sorry to bother you all with so many of my problems lately, and thanks for those of you who've responded in the past...

ADDED AT 11 p.m.: I haven't stopped crying about stupid stuff for the last 6 hours... ugh.
    I think I posted to you on another thread about Klonopin, yes?

Anyway, good god, it never ceases to amaze me how doctors will just experiment with brain chemicals they have no measure/test for! How do they know that Wellbutrin is the answer? Do they know for sure you are low in adrenaline and dopamine, which Wellbutrin affects...when apparentely they thought you were low in serotonin(Effexor)?

Why did they take you off of Effexor anyway? Stopped working? That is typical.

Don't know what to tell you other than good luck. And the sleep problem can be from both withdrawal of Effexor and the Wellbutrin. In fact, since Wellbutrin is a norepinphrine(aka adrenaline type) re-uptake inhibitor, insomnia shouldn't be a surprise at all.

Do some of your own research about these drugs. Dr. Ann Tracy and Dr. Peter Breggin have websites about antidepressants and such. You must be pro-active in your own treatment....remember, your doc works FOR you so you have the right to question some things. If he don't like it, get another who will.

And I don't blame you for crying.....going thru withdrawals and no sleep will make anyone feel awful enough to cry...I know, been there, done that.

I'm personally alot better off without drugs but that would be entirely up to you...

Last edited by Jennita; 01-06-2005 at 11:43 AM.

Old 01-11-2005, 04:32 PM   #7
    ldlca
    (female)

ldlca HB User
    Smile Re: Help! How do I know if it's Effexor withdrawal or Wellbutrin side effects?

This isnt really a response to the question before but rather a question about yourself. I am new to the board and have been reading questions and responses to some depression questions. I have noticed you sound very knowledgeable and was wondering how you came to gain all this knowledge? Are you a health professional or just lots of research? Please keep up the great work and words of encouragement you are giving though.

Old 01-11-2005, 06:16 PM   #8
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ldlca
    This isnt really a response to the question before but rather a question about yourself. I am new to the board and have been reading questions and responses to some depression questions. I have noticed you sound very knowledgeable and was wondering how you came to gain all this knowledge? Are you a health professional or just lots of research? Please keep up the great work and words of encouragement you are giving though.
    Thanks, I hope I can help even if it's only a little.

Nope, I never claimed to be a professional in any posts, but yeah, I've done a ton of research! I've been a victim of benzos, namely Ativan, which is not an antidepressant but since my ordeal I started also getting interested in other psychoactive drugs like AD's and antipsychotics. I bought Dr. Peter Breggins book, "Toxic Psychiatry", but really still have yet to thoughly read it because he gave so much of his information free on his website one doesn't really need the book.

I've read things from one of the benzo withdrawal sites that had loads of professionals share their knowledge and of course, Dr. Ashton and her free online manual. Dr. Ann Tracy's site has tons of info on AD's and there are many others so it's easy for you or anyone else to get the same knowledge I have!

I've also looked up alot of terms, symptoms that are usually in doc speak and info on brain neurotransmitters. It's amazing to be able to have free online Medical dictionaries to be able to look up definitions.

I love the fact you can get all of this free on the internet, it's a miracle in many ways, don't you think?

Last edited by Jennita; 01-11-2005 at 06:18 PM.

Old 01-12-2005, 11:50 AM   #9
    DKScully
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jennita
    I think I posted to you on another thread about Klonopin, yes?

Anyway, good god, it never ceases to amaze me how doctors will just experiment with brain chemicals they have no measure/test for! How do they know that Wellbutrin is the answer? Do they know for sure you are low in adrenaline and dopamine, which Wellbutrin affects...when apparentely they thought you were low in serotonin(Effexor)?

Why did they take you off of Effexor anyway? Stopped working? That is typical.

Don't know what to tell you other than good luck. And the sleep problem can be from both withdrawal of Effexor and the Wellbutrin. In fact, since Wellbutrin is a norepinphrine(aka adrenaline type) re-uptake inhibitor, insomnia shouldn't be a surprise at all.

Do some of your own research about these drugs. Dr. Ann Tracy and Dr. Peter Breggin have websites about antidepressants and such. You must be pro-active in your own treatment....remember, your doc works FOR you so you have the right to question some things. If he don't like it, get another who will.

And I don't blame you for crying.....going thru withdrawals and no sleep will make anyone feel awful enough to cry...I know, been there, done that.

I'm personally alot better off without drugs but that would be entirely up to you...
    Thanks for all of your thoughts! I really appreciate it. I was taken off Effexor because it wasn't working for me (it made me a little more together and energetic, but no happier or less anxious) and it KILLED my sex drive.

I've been trying to research these medications, but it's difficult when I don't have a clear diagnosis (PMDD from a gynecologist, and depression/anxiety from my family doctor). The good news is, I'm a graduate student and I learned that my university has a mental health clinic with services that are included in my required student health fee. So, I went in for an evaluation yesterday, and was referred to the psychiatrist and recommended for therapy sessions, so I'm hoping, at least for the next semester until I get my master's, I'll get some free help from someone who actually knows something about these meds! Just from the assessment yesterday, it seems that anxiety is my main issue... But we shall see...

Still feeling the yucky dizziness from the Effexor I think... Woohoo!

Old 01-12-2005, 01:47 PM   #10
    HImom
    (female)

HImom HB User

You said in your last post exactly what I was going to suggest...see a psychiatrist. And wow, if it's covered as part of your school fees etc., that's awesome. You're right, from what I've read from other people elsewhere, this is very fast to go off Effexor. And the every other day thing, unless it's a capsule you are taking and it can't be cut in half, has got to be some of the discomfort. Ugh!! Your clonezepam can help some, as it is a benzo or a Valium-type of med, as someone else suggested.

Hopefully you can see the psychiatrist quickly and get some better med care and back to feeling like yourself.

H

Old 01-12-2005, 03:59 PM   #11
    omniman
    (male)

omniman HB User

Dear DK, From what I have read and experienced(I have been on Wellbutrin and klonopin for some time now), your side effects are much more likely from the effexor withdrawal which, as you say, you did come off of very quickly. Hang in there and I think it will pay off. Best of luck. Omni

Last edited by omniman; 01-12-2005 at 04:01 PM.

Old 01-12-2005, 10:36 PM   #12
    DKScully
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by omniman
    Dear DK, From what I have read and experienced(I have been on Wellbutrin and klonopin for some time now), your side effects are much more likely from the effexor withdrawal which, as you say, you did come off of very quickly. Hang in there and I think it will pay off. Best of luck. Omni
    Thanks for the encouragement! Out of curiousity, what dosages are you on of both? And have you been diagnosed with anxiety or depression or both, or something else, if you don't mind my asking? thanks!

Noel

Closed Thread