It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• need advice on zoloft

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-09-2005, 09:07 AM   #1
    djhorse11
    (female)

djhorse11 HB User
    need advice on zoloft

I have just started taking zoloft 50mg 2 times a day. I don't know alot about it and dont know of anyone who takes it and what it does. I need it for the deep depression i have been in for about 6 mos due to abusive relationship and a miscarriage

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2005, 09:22 AM   #2
    kiehn
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kiehn HB User
    Re: need advice on zoloft

Hi
    This is a good place to come to if your looking for support, it has helped
    me. As far as zoloft well I can only tell you my experience. I've taken
    many of the antidepressants and I liked zoloft the best. However I
    also take several other meds for different health problems and the
    zoloft conflicted with them. Keep in mind sometimes it takes an adjustment
    of the dosage, and what works for one person doesnt always work for
    another. So check with you doctor if you have questions or concerns. I hope you get feeling better soon, hang in there. K

Old 01-09-2005, 09:43 AM   #3
    rslaughter60
    (female)

rslaughter60 HB User

Hi dj,
    I was on zoloft also 50mg to start 1x daily. I was suffering major depressive episodes with suicidal thoughts.(horrible stuff) My dr told me it takes about 4-6 weeks to kick in enough to notice a difference. Everyone is different and what works for you may not work for me. you may be very drowsy and in a fog state. There was for me a loss of appetite, which wasnt a bad thing as i had been junk fooding for quite some time. (another way your body tells you something is wrong) After consulting with my Dr I dropped my dose to 1/2 and then built my way up to the full dose. After 2 months not enough of a difference to continue on zoloft so my psychiatrist switched me to Lexapro 10 mgs 1x daily and i am feeling better. I have fewer bad days and my husband( patient man) says i am almost like myself again. What help me most was having someone to talk me though the really bad days. I sincerely hope you have someone to talk your pain through. Talk and meds have helped me. Please make sure you explore the rest of the threads on this site and other related sites on healthboards, they have really help me. I've read that depression is a sign that your body is telling you something that your mind is choosing to ignore. It can also be a stepping stone to evaulatiing your life and making changes to find the best path for you. At the time all of that made no sense to me. But now i understand it better. I have made some inner changes, becoming more spiritual,which means different things to different people, learning my own limits and learning that i am not supermom and never have been (funny how we are our own worst enemy for the best intentions) . i hope this thread helps. PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU FIND SOMEONE YOU CAN TALK OUT WHAT IS INSIDE YOU. I sincerely and absoultely believe that this was a major part of my recovery and i thank God that he gave me the friends i needed to hear me out impartially and gave me the positive feedback i needed.
    May you find peace and long life,
    Renee

Old 01-09-2005, 12:11 PM   #4
    HImom
    (female)

HImom HB User

Hi,

Sorry about your past situation and your miscarriage.

I've been on Zoloft in the past for postpartum depression. I started with 50 mg. 1x a day and went up to 100 mg. a day a week or two later. I also had an antianxiety med for a short time to help with some side effects.

Zoloft can get you back to feeling like yourself again. You've got the miscarriage to grieve and the end of the relationship (if only because it wasn't the relationship you'd dreamed of). Zoloft can help with depression, anxiety and, I believe, PTSD (post traumatic stress). Counseling along with meds generally has the best outcome, plus seeing a psychiatrist for med checks.

H

Old 01-10-2005, 04:41 AM   #5
    trucky
    (female)

trucky HB User

I would like some specific, doable suggestions on zoloft withdrawal and getting back to work:

I am tapering off zoloft--6 mgs/day, also taking amoxycillin for sinus infection
    I have one week left before I go back to work. Currently I am much better moodwise, but I'm sleepy all day,

trouble staying standing without getting short of breath or really slow breathing

trouble finishing sentences

forgetful--havent paid my bills yet

eyes keep closing and I have a hard time opening them

I dont startle at anything anymore--like I have no adrenaline left.

I've heard a lot of good stories on zoloft withdrawal on this site, and now I'm asking for some solutions.

PLEASE CAN I HAVE SOME RECIPES ON HOW TO GET BACK TO WHERE I DONT FALL ASLEEP AT WORK, FOCUS BETTER, AND CAN STAND UP FOR MORE THAN AN HOUR AT A TIME??

Old 01-10-2005, 06:22 AM   #6
    Fallen2love

Fallen2love HB User

I took zoloft for almost a year and can't afford it. But I loved it it worked really well. Initally I was really tired about 15-30 min after i'd take it [after dinner] I would be gone until morning.

Old 01-10-2005, 07:01 AM   #7
    trucky
    (female)

trucky HB User

Can someone help me with my last post on this thread? Thanks!!

Old 01-11-2005, 07:43 AM   #8
    christy7777
    (female)

christy7777 HB User

Hello! I went on Zoloft (25 mg for a week and then 50 mg) in April of 2003 when I stopped breastfeeding my baby and my hormones went crazy. I could not stop crying. It helped me a lot to get through the depression. My mom swears that it only masks problems instead of making you deal with them because she says I just let things go instead of dealing with them. She says that things don't bother me that should! I think she is partially correct. It got me through that time so now I am able to deal with my problems more rationally. The only side effect I had was weight gain, I gained almost 20 pounds. At one point in October my doctor tried to increase my dosage to 100 mg but I felt sleepy, had headaches, and night sweats. I started cutting the pills in half and went back to 50 mg on my own. Recently, I told my doctor I wanted to go off of the Zoloft due to weight gain and she encouraged me to get through the holidays first. I did and as of New Year's Day, I am Zoloft free! However, it really is not fun so far. I have terrible Zoloft withdrawal. I cannot sleep, I am very nauseas, very dizzy, I don't think I have those zaps that everyone talks about but I feel like my eyes hesitate when I try to look from one side of the room to the other and when I blink, it seems like it is dark for longer than normal. I know that sounds strange but there is no easy way to describe it. I don't think I am depressed, but I am easily irritated and have little patience. I do think I am paranoid too. I think everyone at work is plotting something against me. I am not being 100% serious because I know that sounds crazy but they are sooo mean! I am overly sensitive to scents (cigarette smoke, perfume, the girl who works next to me's disgusting candle...) Smells make me even more nauseas. I am slowly feeling a little better but still am not well. I don't really feel like I should be driving at all. I do know I have mood swings and I want to strangle people who I work with. I don't know if that is a part of the withdrawal or just being off the medicine in general. I wonder if my mom is correct and the medicine was just enabling me to stay in situations (personal and work) that I would not normally put up with because now that I am off Zoloft, I can see that I am not going to put up with this job much longer!!!! If I had it to do over again, I would slowly taper myself off the Zoloft instead of quitting cold turkey. I am trying vitamins after reading a lot but I don't know if they are going to help yet or not. I am just hanging in there! Good luck and God bless!

Thanks for listening. I hope this helps someone else!

Last edited by christy7777; 01-11-2005 at 07:48 AM.

Old 01-11-2005, 08:08 AM   #9
    *music23*
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

*music23* HB User
    Thumbs down Re: need advice on zoloft

Hi,
    I am so sorry about your miscarriage and your abusive relationship. I hope you are OUT of that relationship now...
    I was on Zoloft for a while, and we eventually got off of it because it was giving me tachycardia- rapid heart rate. I had to have all of these cardiac tests- stress test, several EKGs, a holter monitor, an event monitor, and an echocardiogram. I march quints (5 tenor drums) in marching band, which is an unbelievable amount of physical work, and at practices sometimes my heart rate would get dangerously fast, and it would start to skip beats and stuff. I guess I also have some sort of mild arrhythmia as well.
    Come to think of it, I'm not really sure why I was on it for so long. It's not like it's the only SSRI out there.
    Kristina

Old 01-11-2005, 03:22 PM   #10
    trucky
    (female)

trucky HB User

Thanks for the great feedback--I feel like I'm in a stage of sleep during the day. I go back to work next Tuesday and hope my boss doesnt think I'm drunk. One med I take (need to increase) is Provigil, an alertness drug that is not (I repeat, not) a cardio or neuro stimulant. It's for narcolepsy, which I am having spells of, now that I'm almost off the zoloft --low serotonin, probably. Anyway, I shouldn't complain--being in la-la land beats the alternative of SSRI-induced high BP, panic, and confusion. But why just 2 evils to choose from??

Old 01-11-2005, 08:14 PM   #11
    zusanna
    (female)

zusanna HB User

I was on zoloft for over a year for depression, anxiety, and OCD. I thought it helped me alot and I would highly recommend it to anyone. But everyone is different and what works well for some may not work so well for others. I didn't have any side effects from the zoloft. I actually lost weight on it instead of gaining and I just felt like me again. I stopped taking it because I got pregnant and I just didn't want anything to happen to the baby so I weaned myself off of it. I'm considering getting back on it now though because I've been feeling down again lately and believe I might have a mild case of post-partum depression. Getting out of an abusive relationship is a BIG step in the right direction. And I'm so sorry about your miscarriage. I know what it's like, I've been through it too and it's very hard. But it does get better with time. My prayers are with you. Take care and hang in there!

Closed Thread