It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• Fluoxetine = Prozac

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-22-2005, 12:00 AM   #1
    misanthrope
    (male)

misanthrope HB User
    Fluoxetine = Prozac

I went to my doctor because I told him that the Effexor I was on was making me constantly drowsy. I was hoping that he would provide me with some tips on how to counter the drowsiness, but instead he prescribed something else to me. He suggested Prozac, but I told him that I wasn't really willing to try it and so I thought that he had prescribed something else to me called "fluoxetine". He told me that this drug generally has "upper" effects.

But when I went to the pharmacy the other day for a refill of fluoxetine, the technician there, called it "Prozac" and that's when I found out that what I had been taking for the past month and a half was actually Prozac; the drug I told my doctor that I was reluctant to try. Uggggh, I felt kind of tricked.

Is Prozac hard to get off of? I am scared of this drug because I have heard some negative things about it in the past. Is it also for severe cases of depression? I never thought that I was that severe, but I guess I am.

I am taking both Effexor (225mg) and Prozac (10mg) concurrently now. Are these high doses? I feel that I am happier, but the drowsiness has gotten even worse than before. I am a student and everytime I try to start an assignment or study for a test, I can't concentrate and I end up falling asleep instead. Of course, this has affected my marks last term and I really can't afford to go any lower.

I also feel as if my memory has gotten worse. Sometimes I'll head towards my room to get something, but when I reach my room, I don't remember what I came to get. Retaining information for tests has also been more difficult. It's as if my thinking is getting impaired at the cost of feeling slightly happier. I'm not sure if that's worth it.

Also, I find that the Prozac makes me really thirsty. Is that a common side effect? This isn't a big deal, but I find it a bit inconvenient.

I just want to get off meds completely now. I hate depending on them and mostly, how they make me so drowsy all the time. They are not helping my performance in school and if I get any lower marks, it will only make me more depressed.

Last edited by misanthrope; 01-22-2005 at 12:01 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2005, 01:13 PM   #2
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User
    Re: Fluoxetine = Prozac

Quote:
    Originally Posted by misanthrope
    I went to my doctor because I told him that the Effexor I was on was making me constantly drowsy. I was hoping that he would provide me with some tips on how to counter the drowsiness, but instead he prescribed something else to me. He suggested Prozac, but I told him that I wasn't really willing to try it and so I thought that he had prescribed something else to me called "fluoxetine". He told me that this drug generally has "upper" effects.

But when I went to the pharmacy the other day for a refill of fluoxetine, the technician there, called it "Prozac" and that's when I found out that what I had been taking for the past month and a half was actually Prozac; the drug I told my doctor that I was reluctant to try. Uggggh, I felt kind of tricked.

Is Prozac hard to get off of? I am scared of this drug because I have heard some negative things about it in the past. Is it also for severe cases of depression? I never thought that I was that severe, but I guess I am.

I am taking both Effexor (225mg) and Prozac (10mg) concurrently now. Are these high doses? I feel that I am happier, but the drowsiness has gotten even worse than before. I am a student and everytime I try to start an assignment or study for a test, I can't concentrate and I end up falling asleep instead. Of course, this has affected my marks last term and I really can't afford to go any lower.

I also feel as if my memory has gotten worse. Sometimes I'll head towards my room to get something, but when I reach my room, I don't remember what I came to get. Retaining information for tests has also been more difficult. It's as if my thinking is getting impaired at the cost of feeling slightly happier. I'm not sure if that's worth it.

Also, I find that the Prozac makes me really thirsty. Is that a common side effect? This isn't a big deal, but I find it a bit inconvenient.

I just want to get off meds completely now. I hate depending on them and mostly, how they make me so drowsy all the time. They are not helping my performance in school and if I get any lower marks, it will only make me more depressed.
    Getting off meds is a good idea, but remember to wean off very slowly and expect some relapse/withdrawal during recovery from drugs that may be present, come and go, for a year at least but in the end you will feel better.

Try eating more fish or take fish oil as it already was proven good for depression. Also, regular exercise improves mood. High quality proteins with the aid of vitamins and carbs convert to amino acids, which are what make neurotransmitters in the brain, so eat well. Get a physical to rule out any depression/anxiety aggitators like thyroid or blood sugar problems.

If a doctor tricked me like that, I'd find a new one, what a jerk.

Old 01-22-2005, 04:09 PM   #3
    misanthrope
    (male)

misanthrope HB User

Thanks for the tips Jennita! I will try to eat more fish. My mother loves fish, so she makes it all the time.

Last term I started going to the gym for the first time, but it was only once a week and it wasn't exactly regular. It consisted of running 8 laps for 1/2 an hour and then lifting weights for another 1/2 hour. I felt good that I was doing something healthy, but I felt worse when I didn't do it regularly and now I seem to have abandoned it altogether because my friend's schedule and my schedule don't coincide this term so we haven't had a chance to go together. I could go by myself, but I really don't have the courage to do that yet.

Old 01-22-2005, 11:40 PM   #4
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by misanthrope
    Thanks for the tips Jennita! I will try to eat more fish. My mother loves fish, so she makes it all the time.

Last term I started going to the gym for the first time, but it was only once a week and it wasn't exactly regular. It consisted of running 8 laps for 1/2 an hour and then lifting weights for another 1/2 hour. I felt good that I was doing something healthy, but I felt worse when I didn't do it regularly and now I seem to have abandoned it altogether because my friend's schedule and my schedule don't coincide this term so we haven't had a chance to go together. I could go by myself, but I really don't have the courage to do that yet.
    I know it feels weird to go alone to the gym, but if you really look around there are alot of people who do.....so eventually I think you can do it just fine.

A good motivation is to think of that doctor in the gym and how nerdy he'd look in shorts.....well, most docs look nerdy, don't they? Very few are actually the athletic types, at least the ones' I've seen over the years. So I'm sure you fit right in and nobody at the gym really pays that close attention anyway...too busy sweating out their workouts...

Hope you can feel better soon, work on yourself , be consistant and you will reep the benefits, lots of luck to you

Old 01-23-2005, 09:45 AM   #5
    Isenzy

Isenzy HB User

I used to be on prozac (40mg to 20mg) in the past for 3 years. It worked rather well for me. It was easy to get off it (I have been prozac-free for approximately 1yr) and I have lost a couple of pounds when on prozac Prozac usually made people more awake rather than drowsy.

Hope that you will resume your gym sessions soon. I hate going alone to gym too. However, it's great to work out because I feel that exercises helped a little when battling against depression.

Cheers,
    isenzy

Old 01-23-2005, 02:30 PM   #6
    *music23*
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

*music23* HB User

Your doctor sounds like an absolute b*****d. If he intentionally tricked you and it wasn't just confusion, that is absolutely unacceptable and probably violates every doctor-patient relationship rule and the Hippocratic oath combined. I don't even know the guy but I am infuriated FOR you. How does he expect you to trust him if he's deceiving you like that? Completely unacceptable for him to do that. I can't stress that enough in case it isn't obvious. Honest to God.
    I am so sorry about that. Probably doesn't give you too much confidence in mental health care professionals in general, does it. I must admit that sometimes it takes going through every doctor in the immediate or even non-immediate vicinity to find the right one, but if at first you don't succeed, try try again. Some people hit the jackpot on the first try... and some people like my aunt are on their 7th or 8th and still not 100% satisfied.
    Good luck and get a new doc!
    Kristina

Old 01-23-2005, 03:42 PM   #7
    hrt1

hrt1 HB User

I was on Prozac on and off for years. It helped me quite a bit. The only negative thing I could have to say about it is that after 3 or 4 years of being on it steadily, I started to feel a little "numb" at times... no real highs or lows, but this can happen with any antidepressant after being on it that long.

Im not saying youre lying, but I have a really hard time believing that your psychiatrist tricked you into taking it that way. Are you sure there wasnt a misunderstanding of some sort? Are you sure you stressed that you didnt want to take prozac and that he fully understood you? The majority of phychiatrists prescribe fluoxetine rather than prozac because its about $100 cheaper to get the generic rather than the brand name so I dont think he did it that way to trick you. My psychiatrist did the same thing, but he actually called it prozac but wrote fluoxetine on the prescription.

I woudnt suggest getting off of it unless youre having some really bad side effects you cant handle. The dry mouth goes away within a month or two. How long have you been taking it? The tiredness may or may not be a side effect of the drug, but that also goes away.

10mg is actually a very low dose too. Ive been on as much as 40mg and my sister was up to 60mg a day. They didnt even make 10mg doses for quite a while after the drug came out. 20mg was the smallest dose you could get at first.

Your comment on going to the gym alone kind of surprised me. Ive never thought anything of people I see alone there and Im guessing no one else reallydoes either. Ive been going to the gym alone for years and actually prefer it that way. My workouts are much better when I can just put my headphones on and concentrate on what Im doing. I get through them a lot quicker too. The majority of people I see there are also alone, so Id try not to feel funny about going alone.

Closed Thread