It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• Hi Everybody new here . and my story

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-20-2005, 06:14 PM   #1
    agirlwithaprobl
    (female)

agirlwithaprobl HB User
    Hi Everybody new here . and my story

Hi I am new to the boards but thought I woudl check this one out first. I have also be diagnosed with OCD GAD and Depression. gone through a gamet of meds trying to find the proper ones and most days now I just want to sleep. I was diagnosed in 1996, go figure I just thought I was nuts until I read an article in the readers digest. anyway started on Prosac and things went really well til the doctor I was seeing decided it was a good idea to put me on redux y'all remember the deadly weight loss drug. well after I didn't go on that he threw me back on prosac which didn't work and I didn't know until I thought I was losing my mind again and went back to him and was told Prosac may not work when you come off it and go back on. WHO KNEW??? He did apparently but I guess being so up on drugs I should have also. ANYWAY went from prosac to effexor to zoloft back to effexor on to celexa and then paxil. The last time I went to see my psychiatrist he said" Well if paxil is not working is there anything you want to try? What would you prefer to be on?" My thought on this is ..... well mr got the degrees you tell me. Of course I told him I would like to try prosac again because it was the first one I was on and had better results than any other. so back we go.
    Along with Panic attacks that I can't seem to control. I have been on sick leave from work for over 2 years and getting to the point I just want to give up. I don't have any thought of killing myself it's nto an option my son needs me. but some days it would be much easier to stop trying and get used to being home and not thinking about going out and throwing up every time.

anyway that's my story and hi everybody

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-20-2005, 06:58 PM   #2
    *music23*
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

*music23* HB User
    Talking Re: Hi Everybody new here . and my story

Welcome! I hope you find a lot of support here.
    You're doctor sounds like a moron; I think you should maybe look into getting a new one. Why would he ask you what medicine you should be on? You're absolutely right, that's what YOU are paying HIM for; that's what HE went to school for.
    There are good doctors out there, but sometimes people go through a ridiculous amount to find one.
    Kristina

Old 02-20-2005, 07:40 PM   #3
    my username
    Inactive
    (male)

my username HB User
    Re: Hi Everybody new here . and my story

Doctors don't know about meds. If you wanna know about meds, ask a pharmacist.

Old 02-20-2005, 07:59 PM   #4
    EoR
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

EoR HB User
    Smile Re: Hi Everybody new here . and my story

Quote:
    Originally Posted by agirlwithaprobl
    Hi I am new to the boards but thought I woudl check this one out first. I have also be diagnosed with OCD GAD and Depression. gone through a gamet of meds trying to find the proper ones and most days now I just want to sleep. I was diagnosed in 1996, go figure I just thought I was nuts until I read an article in the readers digest. anyway started on Prosac and things went really well til the doctor I was seeing decided it was a good idea to put me on redux y'all remember the deadly weight loss drug. well after I didn't go on that he threw me back on prosac which didn't work and I didn't know until I thought I was losing my mind again and went back to him and was told Prosac may not work when you come off it and go back on. WHO KNEW??? He did apparently but I guess being so up on drugs I should have also. ANYWAY went from prosac to effexor to zoloft back to effexor on to celexa and then paxil. The last time I went to see my psychiatrist he said" Well if paxil is not working is there anything you want to try? What would you prefer to be on?" My thought on this is ..... well mr got the degrees you tell me. Of course I told him I would like to try prosac again because it was the first one I was on and had better results than any other. so back we go.
    Along with Panic attacks that I can't seem to control. I have been on sick leave from work for over 2 years and getting to the point I just want to give up. I don't have any thought of killing myself it's nto an option my son needs me. but some days it would be much easier to stop trying and get used to being home and not thinking about going out and throwing up every time.

anyway that's my story and hi everybody
    Welcome to the board. Sounds like an anti-depressant nightmare! Yeeeesh. Lexapro is supposed to treat both anxiety and depression. Maybe if the Prozac fails to work again, you could consider asking about Lexapro. It does make one a little more anxious in the beginning, but you can ask for something to help counter that. Best of luck in whatever you choose to do!

-EoR-

Old 02-20-2005, 08:47 PM   #5
    Soibhan
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Soibhan HB User

Welcome--we're glad you're here. I'm sorry about the trouble with meds and your doctor, but whoever said "ask a pharmacist" is right. They do know meds and a good pharmacist will keep current on new drugs, new treatments. But I think looking for another doctor would be fine, or at the very least get a second opinion. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Old 02-21-2005, 06:47 AM   #6
    xpax
    Inactive
    (male)

xpax HB User

Hello agirlwithaprobl:

People here are very nice. We are all awaiting further news. Keep looking up!

xpax

Old 02-21-2005, 01:39 PM   #7
    brett24
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

brett24 HB User

hey firstly welcome to the boards i find this place really helps me so good luck and hopefully youll find some peace here too , also i had a 2 month break from prozac 2 months back and now i feel like it isnt working again!!! so maybe i need to change meds! oh well my own fault for coming off i guess.

take care

Brett

Closed Thread