It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• L-Tyrosine and DL-Phenylalanine for depression

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-20-2005, 07:58 PM   #1
    ftlmatt

ftlmatt HB User
    L-Tyrosine and DL-Phenylalanine for depression

which one of these amino acids, taken on an empty stomach, is more helpfull in improving mood.
    i know l-tyrosine is the precursor to dopamine..but i already take dexedrine for add and wellbutrin for depression, both working on dopamine..
    and that l-phenylalanine is the precursor for norepinephrine..
    has anyone had any experience with these and which one works better than the other? any responses would be greatly appreciated

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-20-2005, 08:04 PM   #2
    EoR
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

EoR HB User
    Re: L-Tyrosine and DL-Phenylalanine for depression

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ftlmatt
    which one of these amino acids, taken on an empty stomach, is more helpfull in improving mood.
    i know l-tyrosine is the precursor to dopamine..but i already take dexedrine for add and wellbutrin for depression, both working on dopamine..
    has anyone had any experience with these and which one works better than the other? any responses would be greatly appreciated
    I'm not sure about either, but I have heard that it can be dangerous to take natural drugs alongside prescribed ones. You might want to run it by your doc before trying it.

<-EoR->

Old 02-20-2005, 08:49 PM   #3
    rose_5-HT
    (male)

rose_5-HT HB User

Quote:
    For me the main problem is that both l-tyrosine and l-phenylalanine are neutral aminoacids and they will compete with l-tryptophan for entry thru the blood brain barrier. This will mean lower synthesis of serotonin => increased depression.

I made the experiment several times with large single dose of different neutral aminoacids and each time I get acutely depressed and suicidal within hours (no fun at all to live). Even taking l-tryptophan afterwards hardly brings any relief. Only time (1 week - 10 days) allows total recovery

Rose_5-HT

Old 02-20-2005, 08:59 PM   #4
    glo81
    (female)

glo81 HB User

I take 50mgs of 5htp w/10mgs of vit. b-6 and 750mgs of Gaba at night. In the morning I take 500mgs of L-tyrosine. Seems to work well for me right now. Any other opinions welcome.

Old 02-21-2005, 10:00 AM   #5
    ftlmatt

ftlmatt HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by EoR
    I'm not sure about either, but I have heard that it can be dangerous to take natural drugs alongside prescribed ones. You might want to run it by your doc before trying it.

<-EoR->
    actually those aren't natural drugs...they are amino acids that are just two of the many that make up protein..
    and i know more about medications and diet than most my doctors lol

Old 02-21-2005, 10:04 AM   #6
    ftlmatt

ftlmatt HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rose_5-HT
    For me the main problem is that both l-tyrosine and l-phenylalanine are neutral aminoacids and they will compete with l-tryptophan for entry thru the blood brain barrier. This will mean lower synthesis of serotonin => increased depression.

I made the experiment several times with large single dose of different neutral aminoacids and each time I get acutely depressed and suicidal within hours (no fun at all to live). Even taking l-tryptophan afterwards hardly brings any relief. Only time (1 week - 10 days) allows total recovery

Rose_5-HT
    actually l-typtophan molecules are larger than tyrosine and phenylalanine so it is harder to absorb....but the best way to take amino acids, if u take them individually, is on an empty stomach.
    i am not a big fan of precursors to serotonin since my depression and ADD are most likely due to dopamine and norepinephrine...i know this because none of the ssri's worked for me

Old 02-21-2005, 10:25 AM   #7
    EoR
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

EoR HB User

Quote:
    actually those aren't natural drugs...they are amino acids that are just two of the many that make up protein..
    and i know more about medications and diet than most my doctors lol

Shrug. I guess I call anything that can be taken to alter mood/mind/body, etc. that isn't prescribed by a doc a "natural drug." I guess my "best advice" at this point would be to try them both and decide for yourself But then again, nobody solicited my best advice. Lol. Good luck to you.

-EoR-

Old 02-21-2005, 10:35 AM   #8
    kiehn
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kiehn HB User

I also take DL-DL-Phenylalanine 1000mg, L-Tyrosine 1000mg, Gaba 750mg, L-taurine 1000mg, B-6 500mg, Choline (Bipolar) 1600mg my depression and swings are 3 times
    as bad. K I had RLS for over 3 years and by accident found the DL-phenylalanie
    which is sometimes used for Parkinson's helped my RLS. K

Closed Thread