It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• New To Effexor

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-22-2005, 08:23 PM   #1
    racing flats
    Inactive
    (male)

racing flats HB User
    New To Effexor

Hi all, I just found this board. I am sorry if this type of question has been asked, but after looking through a bit it seems most effexor-related subjects are regarding withdrawal from it.

I have been on Effexor for about 8 days now. I started at 37.5mg and am now up to 75mg (divided in half daily). I was to wait a week to do the move up unless I tolerated the initial side-effects well, in which case I was given a 4th day option. This is what I did.

The side effects and the good effects were both apparent right away. I was told most people don't see a benefit for 2 - 6 weeks, but my mood swings, anxiety, and black feelings seemed to stabilize a decent amount after the very first pill. What it didn't really do was relieve my depression that much (yet). However - it did something positive that seemed promising. I previously was having horrible depression, often leading to thoughts of suicide, and I am very thankful for the benefit and relief I have received so far. I can cope a little better.

It's now been just over a week and even though I just moved up in dosage, the initial several days of a very welcomed calm(er) feeling seems to be fading. I feel like I am gaining a rapid tolerance to this drug. It is working to some degree, yet it is frustrating to feel such a weak effect after years of horrible depression. I don't want to go off of it because life before was simply unbearable.

Should I try to increase my dose sooner rather than later? The side effects were very minimal for me... 48 hours of mild headache and slight jitters upon initially going on it. That was it.

Last edited by racing flats; 02-22-2005 at 08:37 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-23-2005, 06:28 AM   #2
    luv2read
    Veteran
    (female)

luv2read HB User
    Re: New To Effexor

Hi racing flats,

I take 150 mg effexor xr before bed (that way I'm sleeping when/if the nasty side effects occur). It has been wonderful for me!!

As far as your/my depression and effexor.....I believe people also need some kind of talk therapy also. I don't expect effexor to take my depression away totaly. That would be unrealistic. I see a psychologist now and I love it. She is wonderful and really listens and gives me good advice.

I would call your dr and make sure it's ok to up the dose sooner. I don't know anything about that.

The only side effect that bothers me while taking effexor xr is that when I got to 75 mg last year, I woke up one morning with very bad tremors in right wrist-thumb. This is still w/ me today.

When I lay my hand down flat on the table and lift my right thumb up the littlest bit..it starts to tremor....same with my right wrist.

So, this has gotten my anxiety going big time!!! (has me thinking about yopd).

Dr. at Cleveland told me the thumb tremor is caused by the effexor xr. I've been searching a lot...so far, I haven't found anyone else with a postural wrist-thumb tremor caused by effexor xr!!!

Anyways, good luck and I sure hope the effexor works out for you.

Take care,
    Deb, dx'd w/ fibro (96), tmj, gerd, endometriosis, anxiety, depression

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 02-23-2005, 10:06 AM   #3
    racing flats
    Inactive
    (male)

racing flats HB User

Thanks Deb, I hope it works out as well!

Old 02-23-2005, 01:00 PM   #4
    llh973
    (female)

llh973 HB User
    Unhappy Re: New To Effexor

Hi There. I'm am new to this message board. But I read your questions about effexor, and I have been taking effexor xr 35.7 mg a day for about 2 years, just recently I have had a bad depressive episode and cannot seem to get out of it. I have missed 2 weeks of work, and I don't want to leave my house. I have been upped from 35.7 mg to 75mg to now 150mg, which my dr says I may need to up again at the end of the week if I am not getting better. I also take xanax 3 times a day for anxiety. I got a really bad hair cut a few weeks ago, and that is what set it off. Sounds stupid right? I just can't seem to regain myself. Do you or anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Old 02-24-2005, 03:49 AM   #5
    luv2read
    Veteran
    (female)

luv2read HB User

Hi llh, Well your hair will grow out, so that's a plus for you.
    Personally, I wouldn't be taking all those meds. Your going to be at 150 mg of effexor PLUS taking Xanax 3 times a day! I don't know, to me dr's like to push as much meds as possible I guess.

Are you in any type of counselling?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 02-24-2005, 05:33 AM   #6
    llh973
    (female)

llh973 HB User

I am not in any counseling yet, but they are supposed to set me up with a therapist, which i hope will help. I am supposed to go back to work on Saturday and am so anxious about it. I had a really bad day yesterday. I cried all day long. I don't feel much better today already. I try to tell myself to snap out of it, but I just can't. Maybe the effexor isn't working for me? I took prozac in the past, and it worked well, but i had a lot of hair loss from it. I don't want to go through that again especially now with this hair cut deal. I just keep obsessing about it. I need like a quick hair growth remedy to solve my problem.

Old 02-24-2005, 01:51 PM   #7
    Crossbow
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Crossbow HB User

You should need the Xanax if you're on that much Effexor. Xanax is also extremely habit-forming. I'd try to take less if I were you. It's great stuff when you need it (I take it for my TMJ sometimes) but it's easy to get dependent.

About your hair: I advise buying some nice scarves until it grows out. That's what I did while growing mine out. Problem is, all my friends started giving me scarves and now I don't know what to do with them all...

Old 02-24-2005, 02:58 PM   #8
    llh973
    (female)

llh973 HB User

well, I just had my medication changed to paxil cr 37.5 mg one a day. Plus I am supposed to take the xanax also. The xanax really seems to help relieve my anxiety, but I know what you mean about being habit forming. I am off of work for another week at least. My supervisor has been really great, although I've had to use all my vac/per/sick time. I won't be doing anything else this year. I feel so weak. I have no control over my emotions, and everything irritates me. I don't know what to do. I keep thinking I'm like this because of this haircut, and that if I wouldn't have gotten it done I would be okay. Is that possible? or am I just looking for something to blame this on?

Old 02-24-2005, 06:23 PM   #9
    Crossbow
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Crossbow HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by llh973
    I feel so weak. I have no control over my emotions, and everything irritates me.
    Paxil will help with that.

If you hadn't gotten a bad haircut, you'd probably be blaming your feelings on something else.

Old 02-25-2005, 12:40 PM   #10
    llh973
    (female)

llh973 HB User

I started the paxil cr today. I am very sleepy today. I only cried once this morning, but I still feel sad. I am taking another couple of weeks off of work until I am sure I am okay. I cannot deal with people if I am like this. I really think the effexor was making me worse? I hope this new one helps. I am worried about the side effects though.

Old 02-25-2005, 03:26 PM   #11
    holden's_mom
    (female)

holden's_mom HB User

Hi all, I was on Efexor for 2 years. Previous to taking it I had tried about 4 other pills for depression. Efexor was the only one out of the 4 that actually worked. The good thing about Efexor is that you can go to a much higher dose than a lot of the others.

It will take up to 2 weeks to begin working.

I started off at 37.5mgs and ended up at 225mgs per day. My increases were rather rapid, but the way I was feeling at the time, I was willing to try anythng. The side effects were minimal, I used to get the smallest case of nausea so I would take my meds before I went to bed at night.
    Personally, I would swear by the product. It, as well as my husband's support saw me out of a really rough patch in my life (with no other professional help).

Everybody's story is different but I thought I would share my experience

Good luck "racing flats" and I hope you feel better real soon

Old 02-25-2005, 04:46 PM   #12
    SandybytheSea
    Inactive
    (female)

SandybytheSea HB User

I am on 150mgs and am now just starting to feel better. Previously on Celexa which caused me a lot body tremors. I hated those. I do not have that at all anymore on Effexor xr.

Old 02-26-2005, 03:06 AM   #13
    luv2read
    Veteran
    (female)

luv2read HB User

Hi llh973, I hope the paxil works good for you. Sorry to hear that you're still feeling bad!! Everyone is different regarding anit-d's. You're the only one who knows which one is going to work for you. I really think you should get into counselling too. I just started a little while ago and it has been wonderful to talk w/ someone face to face about problems. I think that if I would of skipped counselling, I would still be fighting my emotions and depression. There's nothing like having someone to talk to for an hour about what's bothering me!! It's great!

Old 02-26-2005, 08:56 AM   #14
    llh973
    (female)

llh973 HB User

Holdens Mom, I was on 37.5 mg for a long time and they increased to 75mg then to 150mg. I took that for two weeks and it seemed like my depression was getting worse? They wanted to increase the dose, but she decided to try another antid Paxil cr. I have only taken it for two days now thought. Did that seem to happen to you as they increased your effexor or did it just make you feel better right away?

Old 02-26-2005, 08:57 AM   #15
    llh973
    (female)

llh973 HB User

Sandybythesea/ How long have you taken the effexor 150mg before you started to feel better?

Closed Thread