It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• finally losing the weight

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-02-2005, 05:12 AM   #1
    Lady_Raven

Lady_Raven HB User
    finally losing the weight

After putting on 30lbs while on zoloft I am now losing weight after struggling with it and not being able to lose a single pound for an entire year. Here's what I'm doing:

First I got off the Zoloft and switched to Effexor XR. I was hoping my weight would drop just from doing that but it didn't at all.

After 6 months of still losing no weight even after switching to a different SSRI and dieting like crazy I bought a pedometer and a new Kathy Smith exercise video that is designed to help you through weight loss plateaus.

I have found that the key is to do weight training more often. 2-3 days a week I either walk 10,000 steps in a day or I do my Kathy Smith workout. Then 2 days a week I do the first section of the Kathy Smith video or 15 minutes of cardio and then I do 20 minutes of weight lifting or pilates.

For my diet, which I think is what is doing the most for my weight loss, I checked out Kathy Smith's 5-day jumpstart plan on her website and it has worked WONDERS. It is designed to get your body in fat burning mode and it's about 1500 calories a day. I thought I had to eat 1200/day to lose weight and even less since the antidepressants slow down our metabolism sooo much. On the days I work out I eat between 1400-1700 calories and on the days I don't work out I TRY to eat only 1200.

In the past two weeks I've lost over 5 lbs and to me that's a miracle because I've been trying so long. I seriously recommend for people to try the 5-day jump start plan. Even though it's for 5 days I try to follow it everyday but if I don't it's no big deal. I'm so thrilled that I can still be on my Effexor and lose weight now because I didn't think it was possible and now it feels like the weight is just peeling off of me.

Feel free to ask me questions. I know how devastating it is to deal with the weight gain from these meds and hopefully I can help some of you.

take care,
    Jess

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2005, 05:29 AM   #2
    momsbrandi
    (female)

momsbrandi HB User
    Re: finally losing the weight

Jess, congratulations. I can definitly relate to weight gain from ad's. What ad are you on now? Thx, mb

Old 03-02-2005, 06:30 AM   #3
    Lady_Raven

Lady_Raven HB User

Thanks momsbrandi!
    I'm on 75mg of effexor XR now and aside from sexual side effects, I absolutely love it.

Old 03-02-2005, 10:39 AM   #4
    SandybytheSea
    Inactive
    (female)

SandybytheSea HB User

Lady Raven-

How much Effexor xr were u on before? Have you always been at 75? I was on 150 and the doctor has moved me up to 225. Did u ever take that much? And did u taper off to the amount you r taking? Or is that the highest dose u have been on. I am concerned as my doctor had me on Celexa 40mgs and I could not tolerate that. She changed me over to Effexor xr and I am really starting to feel better than I have in over a year and a half.

Old 03-03-2005, 02:17 PM   #5
    Lady_Raven

Lady_Raven HB User

I'm glad you're starting to feel better, Sandy.
    I've always been on 75mg of Effexor XR. Before that I was on 50mg of Zoloft and then 75mg of Zoloft but I gained 30lbs within a couple months on Zoloft. I was also on 20mg of Celexa but it did nothing for me.

I absolutely love Effexor XR. I know lots of people have problems with it but I feel better than ever and I don't have that "numb" feeling like I have with the other SSRIs where you never feel really sad or really happy just kind of machine-like.

Closed Thread