It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• Lexapro - Fatigue and Apathy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-03-2005, 09:21 AM   #1
    maryleelou
    (female)

maryleelou HB User
    Lexapro - Fatigue and Apathy

I took Wellbutrin for many years without incident and then it stopped working so I switched to Lexapro about 2 years ago. In the past 1-1/2 years I gained 30-35 pounds and developed an increasingly devastating case of apathy and horrible fatigue. I don't, however, feel deeply depressed - I just don't care about many things, e.g., housework, financial obligations, my appearance. I continue to enjoy my work and interacting with patients and even maintained my sense of humor. I neglected to add that I developed acid reflux during this time period, as well as erratic sleep. I underwent a sleep study test -- no sleep apnea, but some leg movement (not enough to be RLS) that woke me during the night. I'm starting to think that Lexapro has had something to do with these symtpoms as well.

I started Lexapro at 10 mg and increased to 20 mg after some time. I recently visited a psych nurse practitioner, reported the fatigue and apathy, and she increased me to 30 mg of Lexapro. The symptoms got WORSE. I just spent the last week at home, feeling so very tired and headachy and wobbly. I slept a good part of the week away and never felt rested.

I looked up Lexapro side effects on the internet and found several postings from people experiencing similar and worse side effects. I called the nurse and she agreed I should wean myself from the Lexapro. At the same time, I've resumed taking Wellbutrin and hope it will work for me again. I've already cut myself down to 10 mg Lexapro daily and have to tell you that after less than a week of slowly removing Lexapro from my body, I feel significantly better. It will take some time to get back to feeling normal again and even more time to get this weight off, but I feel extremely optimistic. I did feel a "brain shiver" this morning, have a bit of difficulty negotiating cognitive tasks and have a dull headache, but almost welcome these symptoms as opposed to the Lexapro Lethargy.

Please let me know if you experienced any of the Lexapro symptoms I've described. I'm trying to gather information for my doctor and psych nurse. Thanks, and the best to all of you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-03-2005, 10:14 AM   #2
    Guineapig5
    (female)

Guineapig5 HB User
    Re: Lexapro - Fatigue and Apathy

I definitely had the same symptoms as you! At first, the lexapro at 10 mg seemed to work wonders; I felt 90% better, just a bit tired. But over a few months, the tiredness turned into deep fatigue, which led to renewed depression. I felt immediately better after weaning off the lexapro. Like you, raising the dose only made matters worse.

Old 04-05-2005, 07:07 AM   #3
    CtRich
    (male)

CtRich HB User

I hate Lexapro!
    I gained 35 pounds in 4 months and that made me even more depressed.
    I am now on Wellbutrin and feel GREAT!

Old 04-05-2005, 01:11 PM   #4
    lilyprincess
    (female)

lilyprincess HB User

I took Lexapro for only 6 weeks and had similar symptoms, and I also started getting really bad anxiety and panic attacks. I quit cold turkey because my dr. said at 10 mg I didn't need to taper. I have been having severe withdrawal symptoms, but I don't want to start taking it again to taper off. Dr. gave me Wellbutrin but I am afraid to take it becuase of the problems I have had with Lexapro.

Closed Thread