It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• How do u get over low self esteem and self hatred?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-15-2005, 07:00 PM   #1
    the end
    (male)

the end HB User
    How do u get over low self esteem and self hatred?

I just want to know if anyone has any success stories, of overcoming low self esteem issues. I have been suffering from severe depression, low self esteem, and self hatred. I just dont understand how i could possibly feel good about myself. I dont like anything about myself, from the way i look to my personality, to the fact that i dont have anything that im good at doing(besides complaining). I just really feel like a waste of a person and i question everyday why i am alive.

So is it even possible to change my views on myself? I know i have to make positive changes in my life, but it just seems like i can only change so much. I mean at the end of the day i will still be me, if that makes any sense, and that is what i hate.

Well thx for any advice

The following user gives a hug of support to the end:
    scooby65 (11-07-2010)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-15-2005, 07:58 PM   #2
    tormenta
    (female)

tormenta HB User
    Re: How do u get over low self esteem and self hatred?

Depression is a serious thing. It robs you of who you are effectively. I have just started a battle with depression/anxiety and I feel like I have been robbed of myself. I have always been a happy person, and a people person. I loved life, and things like browsing through the mall, the ocean, going out with friends. SInce this whole thing started, it's as if life has gotten completely bleak and dark. I am obsessed with myself and I don't know If I'll ever get back to normal. I hate it, and I dislike myself too for not being happy when I KNOW I HAVE A LOT GOING FOR ME!!! I always thought I knew what I wanted - to be an actress or Tv presenter. To be successful in uni and to love life. Now It's like I'm a different person. I used to take so much for granted. (Things like just waking up and enjoying the sunshine.) It sucks now. But I'm going to a conference on self esteem and conquering depression soon so hopefully that might help. Here are some things I can tell about you already.... You have courage (You posted on the board and admitted having low self esteem. A great step!!!) You are able to type well. Also, you want to feel better about yourself and that's the hardest challenge of all. I don't think anyone really knows their purpose for being alive, but you and I were both put here for a reason!!!! I really don't know what to suggest because I am going through similar things but all I can say is good luck and God bless.

The following user gives a hug of support to tormenta:
    scooby65 (11-07-2010)
    Old 04-16-2005, 10:01 AM   #3
    weary one
    (female)

weary one HB User

hi - I have some what of a success story. I have had depression since grade 9 and severe depression for the past 5 years. (I'm 24 now). I used to HATE myself. to the point of wanting to end my life. Now I'm at the point where I am still depressed but I have separated myself from the depression. I had/have to tell myself that the feelings and thoughts that go through my head are often lies. The main thing for me is that i believe in God, and that this life is not it. and that in the mean time I am to do the best I can. I find that it's best to get away from sitting alone and thinking. It's good to go and do something good. I work at a senior's home and visit with people who are dying, or help feed people, etc. It gets my mind off of myself, and at the end of the day, inspite of how I feel, I know that I did something good. You need to separate yourself from what you feel. Depression is not who we are. It's just something we have to deal with and manage the best way we can. Challenge your thoughts. Just being alive is reason enough to be worthy of love, no matter if you feel dead inside. you are not dead. hold on to anything you can. Believe that there is a purpose for this. Believe that one day everything will make sense. Whatever you do, don't give up. I have felt hell on earth. I have come so close to ending it all. But I've held on by a thread, and I am feeling better. If it helps, look at baby pictures of yourself. It's hard to hate such an innocent thing. I know we are far away from those days, but you are still that person. My motto in life so far is...just keep going. no matter what. just keep going. we have no idea what life is about and what is going to happen. My professor at university said that depression is fighting the good fight. Personally I think depression has a purpose, and this is coming from someone who has felt the full force of it. Picture me curled up on the floor of my basement, screaming and crying on the top of my lungs, groaning in pain. Tormented by thoughts of hopelessness and fear. falling asleep because I have a headache from crying so much. And the only thing that gets me through BARELY, is to just keep going. accept that i don't know anything, but trust that there is a creator who loves me and is with me even though I feel so alone. Please don't give up.

Old 04-16-2005, 12:09 PM   #4
    brett24
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

brett24 HB User

well unfortunatly thats whats the crappy depression does to u, i HATE it, i guess the only way to make it go away is to be proactive in life, dont lie back and take it, dont stop making an effort with the way u look, i did these things now im on a diet to lose the weight i piled on after getting dumped, also i make a conscious efffort to do stuff like exercise or clean the house etc. if u make a list of things ud like to achieve, ie small things to start with, and then everyday try and do one of them, for example clean the kitchen. then when u get into a habit of doing things ull find that the depression and self hatred etc gets easier to combat, well thats what ive found anyway. also if poss join a local depression group close to u, being with other people who feel the same way as u makes u feel less like a freak and more like a human being, which is what u are. wish i could offer some better advice

Good luck and take care

Brett

Old 04-16-2005, 07:07 PM   #5
    NTHEZERO
    (female)

NTHEZERO HB User

Hi! I'm down here in the zero. I'm a 24 year old female who's been experiencing severe depression for about 14 years. I have tried everything legal and illegal under God's green earth, and nothing has ever worked permanently. I feel like, ok, I know why I feel this way, but unless I can fix it this very second I want to die! The doctors tell me; "Oh, well, your history of emotional child abuse is what caused this...your taking illicit drugs is what caused this...your laying around and sleeping is what caused this..." It's like, ok, but so what???? HOW DO I CURE THIS AND GET BACK TO NORMAL??????!!!!!!!!!!!! After 14 YEARS I finally realized that I cannot RE-HABILITATE myself, because that means going back to what I was b4, which is what started this whole thing. Instead, I have to HABILITATE myself, which means starting completely over and training (or tricking) your brain into accepting a new lifestyle, a new schedule, a different you. It is not going to be the person you thought or are hoping to be, it's going to shock the heck out of you and you're going to be someone entirely different, and even better. It sucks. It's going into hell and back. It's ripping your insides out and stuffing them back in, all in a disarry. This is going to be the hardest thing you ever go through, because it's between you and God. Remember, you must save yourself or you will remain unsaved.

God Bless You All

NTHEZERO

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Closed Thread