It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• Pmdd

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-22-2005, 08:00 PM   #1
    Blue102

Blue102 HB User
    Pmdd

Does anybody have any tips on how to get through PMDD episodes? Today's been the worst. I've been bawling my eyes out all day over nothing. I don't want to do anything except sit on the couch and cry. I feel like the world hates me and I'm the biggest loser ever (actually things are going OK in my life right now, and I have no reason to feel that way.) I'm taking 50 mgs of Zoloft a day, but it does nothing for me during these episodes. Should I double it, maybe? Any natural remedies or anything? I am falling apart!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2005, 08:40 PM   #2
    americandancer
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

americandancer HB User
    Re: Pmdd

Blue, how long have you been taking the zoloft? I know zoloft is supposed to work for pmdd, but I think it takes a few weeks to get into your system.

Old 04-22-2005, 08:54 PM   #3
    Blue102

Blue102 HB User

Oh, I've been taking the Zoloft for several months, for clinical depression and anxiety. I get the PMDD on top of all that. I've been on antidepressants for years...I guess when I was on the higher dosage I didn't get the PMDD as badly...but I'm trying to stay on as low a dose of the meds as possible because they make me so sleepy. Oh, I also take a women's multivitamin and calcium regularly...

Old 04-23-2005, 07:21 AM   #4
    julie39180
    (female)

julie39180 HB User
    Smile Re: Pmdd

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blue102
    Does anybody have any tips on how to get through PMDD episodes? Today's been the worst. I've been bawling my eyes out all day over nothing. I don't want to do anything except sit on the couch and cry. I feel like the world hates me and I'm the biggest loser ever (actually things are going OK in my life right now, and I have no reason to feel that way.) I'm taking 50 mgs of Zoloft a day, but it does nothing for me during these episodes. Should I double it, maybe? Any natural remedies or anything? I am falling apart!!!

hello,
    i have the major pms with depression and i have tried every med there is but now im on cymbalta 60 mg and it works great! i have been on it a few months and i have been feeling great. i have energy! NO PMS! the side effects where not good and first but if u hang in there, they go away. i had dry mouth, felt strange for a few days but after about 4 days or so the feeling goes away. i didnt sleep much at first either. i do have sexual side effects but the dr. just put me on wellbutrin for that.
    i would talk to ur dr about it and see what he/she thinks.

Old 04-23-2005, 08:24 AM   #5
    graciebird
    (female)

graciebird HB User

A friend of mine has suffered form PMDD for years- of course she didn't really know what it was at the time- she would just get very irritable and somewhat depressed around her cycle each month. After learning that I was going through depression, she decided to talk to her doctor about medication. She went on Celexa and it worked really well for her except for the sexual side effects. So her doc put her on Wellbutrin also, which solved that problem (actually, we laughed and called oursleves the Wellbutrin club because I was on it to manage my depression). Hope this helps you. I can't tell you how much it helped my friend. She feels like a different person now. And she feels bad that she put her husband and kids through so much for all that time, but she also realizes that she didn't really know what she was suffering from either- and her family understands that too Talk to your doctor-even if you decide not to go on meds, there may be other forms of help available. Counseling would be a great option also...
    God Bless!

Old 04-23-2005, 09:18 AM   #6
    Blue102

Blue102 HB User

Thanks ladies...I'm going to print out this whole thread and show it to the doc. The Zoloft is OK, but I do get sleepy and also have sexual side effects, so I had actually been considering Wellbutrin. Thanks again!

Old 04-23-2005, 12:24 PM   #7
    1217ebvr
    (female)

1217ebvr HB User

Give the mes a little more time, it takes a little while.

Old 04-30-2005, 09:41 AM   #8
    gwenatron
    (female)

gwenatron HB User

Hey Blue,
    I know exactly what you're experiencing! I used to get the same madness around that time too. Unfortunately my doctor doesn't believe that pre-menstrual disphoric disorder actually exists, so no guidance there!
    A friend of mine (who isn't on any meds) recommended progesterone cream (available in health shops). You just rub it into the skin on your hand, and on your chest. It's really relieved the symptoms for me, and it's very safe and natural.

Old 04-30-2005, 10:31 AM   #9
    Blue102

Blue102 HB User

Cool, maybe I will try that. Thanks!

Old 05-01-2005, 04:20 PM   #10
    Gocart
    (female)

Gocart HB User
    Smile Re: Pmdd

I had PMDD for years and tried every possible anti-depressant out there. I took Celexa too and it worked well but I didn't like the sexual side effects either. Wellbutrin did not work as well for me. My dr. started me on Lexapro and it worked awesome. It's the same thing as Celexa but without the side effects. Check it out on the web. I am now tapering off of it after being on it for about a year and a half. I had a hysterectomy this past Oct. and figured I didn't need it anymore. The withdrawal isn't very easy, I guess because I've been on ADs for so many years. Anyway, ask your dr. about Lexapro. I think it worked the best.
    Good luck,
    Gaylee

Old 05-02-2005, 12:59 PM   #11
    melleth

melleth HB User

I have really been suffering from PMDD so badly I may even have lost a friend who I only recently made due to the fact she just does not understand. I tried to warn her I tried to tell her what it is like to feel like this and she did not understand whan it happened.

I used to have this every month ever since I began my cycles. They got worse as I entered my 20's. I honestly get so tense and irritable I just can't relax. i try to stay away from people during those times in order to not hurt those I love. I know I will and I can't help myself. Usually I don't even realise it is happening until it is too late. I cry for hours for no reason or I am just mean and grouchy.

I don't want to go on antidepressants. I know the dammage they can cause. I did go onto something called Estroven for a while and it semed to help but I stoped again due to financial trouble. I neeed to go back to it before I loose all of my friends as well as my job.

Old 05-04-2005, 03:53 PM   #12
    maroo

maroo HB User

I too suffer from PMDD, it can be debilitating for me. I cry and ruminate thoughts through. I make people around me crazy and I feel like I will never feel well again. It is hard and I understand the issues around finding the right med. I have been on many but the latest was Abilify (mood stabilizer for schizo.) I have trouble with the side effects and it doesn't work anyway. I wonder if hormone testing is the answer for all of us; a good workup that may tell what imbalances are there. I have had general blood work but it never comes up abnormal.

Old 05-05-2005, 09:59 PM   #13
    LoveMyWay71

LoveMyWay71 HB User

i definately suffer from pmdd and it is a living nightmare.. i can't stand it.. this month i was still having depression through my period. i am trying to find a new job and that is what is stressing me out right now and adding to my moods... good lord... i cry, get angry, and hyper sensitive.. i just went to the gyno about this and she said vit e and calcium helpt with pms... my next step is probably to get my hormone levels checked.. it is just aweful.. hang in there

Closed Thread