HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Depression (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/depression/)
-   -   Wellbutrin sr and effexor xr (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/depression/281435-wellbutrin-sr-effexor-xr.html)

SandybytheSea 05-05-2005 03:44 PM

Wellbutrin sr and effexor xr

does anyone take this combo? The doctor has prescribed 300mg of the Effexor and 100mg of the Wellbutrin. What dosages do u take?

Samantha317 05-06-2005 12:08 AM

Re: Wellbutrin sr and effexor xr

Hi Sandy :wave:
I am currently on 75 mg of Effexor XR and 450 mg of the Wellbutrin SR. I started tapering off of the Effexor almost 7 weeks ago. I was taking 300 mg of Effexor and was tapered down to 150 mg and started taking 300 mg of the Wellbutrin. I had to increase the Wellbutrin this week to 450 mg. It is so frustrating.

Best wishes,
Sam :angel:

SandybytheSea 05-06-2005 07:16 AM

How is that working for you SAm? And yes it is frustrating, I am so sick of meds and depression. It seems like they work and then I bottom out. Of course my life is a mess and until I make changes in my status stress is bound to be a big factor. I had zero energy on effexor at the higher doses and could not get out of bed. The hope is that I get a boost of energy from the wellbutrin. Here's hoping :)

Thanks for the replay Sam and any info on your experience with these 2 drugs would be helpful :)

Samantha317 05-06-2005 04:59 PM

I have had some side effects such as blurred vision, difficulty falling asleep, concentration problems and increased anxiety (feeling jittery) but it has helped me with the depression. I just feel that the side effects will decrease as time goes by. The Wellbutrin has definitely given me some much needed increased energy and that horrible black cloud has lifted. When you get to the point of planning each step of your suicide you will try almost anything.

Yes indeed we both need to have hope. I have been through so many losses in such a short period of time that I didn't think it was possible to feel better.

I will keep you updated on my progress.

Best wishes and many hugs,

Alex6657 05-10-2005 08:05 PM

I take 300mg of Wellbutrin and 150mg of Effexor. I find it's working for me. I still have my days when I'm down and weepy, but I'm also not in any form of counselling right now.

Good luck with your meds. I hope they help. :angel:

SandybytheSea 05-11-2005 06:34 AM

I am not sure any meds can help. I am trapped in a marriage and I cannot get out. If I am away from him for a weekend I feel great, as soon as I am back in the situation I sink into the depression. I wish there was a way for me to get out and not hurt anyone. Anyway I am going to go off the meds and see where I am. I may stay on wellbutrin for a bit and see if it helps.

How long does it take to get off effexor? I was on 300, and over 2 weeks went down to 150. I plan on going to 75 next week and 37.5 the week after. Is that too fast?

I am still on the wellbutrin at 100. After a few weeks of no effexor I want to go off it too.

I hate this depression and its hold on me.

Astroboy529 05-11-2005 08:32 AM

My depression is circumstantial and I've taken various meds including Wellbutrin. I don't think they did me much good. The circumstance was a business failure following a divorce. I have a feeling that meds can't help that much if you are in a bad "situation" whatever it is. I've found that the resolution of a bad situation, even if it isn't the resolution we would wish for, does help with anxiety and depressed symptoms.

I can only speak for myself, since everyone has different reactions to meds and the setbacks and stressors that trigger the depression. I wish you the best of luck. It's obvious, and I'm sure you've been told this, but you gotta weigh the toll a situation takes on you versus the impact of change. Change also has consequences to consider, but if you know a situation you're is making you miserable, its hard to medicate it away.

Samantha317 05-11-2005 09:15 AM

Are you tapering with your doctor's knowledge and approval of this? I have had such a hard time tapering from the Effexor. I am wondering if you have had any problems with the tapering so far?

The marriage situation; why can't you leave? I just know how my situation was when I was married. I thought there was no way out. I spent years in a relationship that was killing me, literally. Is that even possible when you get a divorce (no one getting hurt)? You really have to look out for yourself...no one else will do it for you.

Best wishes,

Samantha317 05-11-2005 09:37 AM

[QUOTE=Astroboy529]My depression is circumstantial and I've taken various meds including Wellbutrin. I don't think they did me much good. The circumstance was a business failure following a divorce. I have a feeling that meds can't help that much if you are in a bad "situation" whatever it is. I've found that the resolution of a bad situation, even if it isn't the resolution we would wish for, does help with anxiety and depressed symptoms.

I can only speak for myself, since everyone has different reactions to meds and the setbacks and stressors that trigger the depression. I wish you the best of luck. It's obvious, and I'm sure you've been told this, but you gotta weigh the toll a situation takes on you versus the impact of change. Change also has consequences to consider, but if you know a situation you're is making you miserable, its hard to medicate it away.[/QUOTE]

Hi Astroboy :wave:
I am sorry you have had to deal with those losses in your life. It is not something you can get over in a certain amount of time. Each loss is unique and requires the grieving process; which should never have a time limit. I was asked after the death of my brother, "Why aren't you over that yet"? This only contributed to the guilt I was already dealing with, I didn't need someone else adding to it. Give yourself the time you need.

Thank you for giving me a different perspective on the meds and how much they are able to help in situational depression. I think I am expecting too much out of the medications.

Best wishes,

SandybytheSea 05-12-2005 08:45 AM

Hi Sam:
I have had little problem tapering off from 300 to 225 in a week, a bad headache for three days. When I went from 225 to 150 I have had only a mild headache. I am seeing my doctor and will tell her what I am doing. I have heard horror stories about tapering off so I am watching my symptoms.

My situatiobn is very difficult because my husband holds all the financial cards. He will not leave and he will not give me money to leave. I would have to get a lawyer and fight him and he has said he will fight me every step of the way. He does love me and I love him but he has been unfaithful several times and I no longer feel that I can respect myself and stay in the marriage. However getting out without a fight will be hard. And being in a major depression I do not have any fight in me. So I feel trapped and lost.

I know what you feel about meds not working and maybe expecting too much from them. I just want to feel strong enough to do what I need to do. But that comes from within and not from a bottle of pills. I feel like such a wimp and a failurre.

Alex6657 05-12-2005 09:08 PM

[QUOTE=Samantha317]I was asked after the death of my brother, "Why aren't you over that yet"? [/QUOTE]
As if you can REALLY "get over" something like that.... :rolleyes:

Samantha317 05-12-2005 11:43 PM

[QUOTE=SandybytheSea]Hi Sam:
I have had little problem tapering off from 300 to 225 in a week, a bad headache for three days. When I went from 225 to 150 I have had only a mild headache. I am seeing my doctor and will tell her what I am doing. I have heard horror stories about tapering off so I am watching my symptoms.

My situatiobn is very difficult because my husband holds all the financial cards. He will not leave and he will not give me money to leave. I would have to get a lawyer and fight him and he has said he will fight me every step of the way. He does love me and I love him but he has been unfaithful several times and I no longer feel that I can respect myself and stay in the marriage. However getting out without a fight will be hard. And being in a major depression I do not have any fight in me. So I feel trapped and lost.

I know what you feel about meds not working and maybe expecting too much from them. I just want to feel strong enough to do what I need to do. But that comes from within and not from a bottle of pills. I feel like such a wimp and a failurre.[/QUOTE]

I would talk it over with your doctor. I sure hope your doctor understands the withdrawl symptoms better than my current doctor. I would try to take it a little slower on the withdrawl from the Effexor. Just my opinion.

If I didn't know better I would think that you are talking about my situation when I was trying to get my ex to leave. It really sounds familiar. My ex held all the money cards. If I left he could get me for abandonment of my children. It was ironic the morning before he left he woke up with the sheets soaked in blood. He had been scratching in his sleep. He had an STD. He woke up in a panic and he said call me an ambulance. I said call them yourself. He was so angry with me. He had told me one time when I was suicidal to wait until the next morning. So when I told him to call the ambulace himself he knew exactly why I said that. He did end up leaving and he had it planned so everything was ready to be turned off and the 1st and 2nd mortgage were past due 3 months. Divorce is never easy. It usually comes down to doing what you have to do to survive. I know it isn't easy and I do know what it feels like to feel trapped.

Hang in there,
Many hugs,

SandybytheSea 05-13-2005 08:11 AM

Wow Sam what a creep to tell u to wait until morning. It really makes me wonder what we could see in people who are capable of hurting us so bad. Thank you for your response, it helps to know that others have had similar circumstances. I am lucky that my youngest is 18 and at least custody and things like that will not be an issue.

I went to my doctor and she said under no circumstance was I to go under 150 of the effexor. She said if I want to go off it we would discuss it in a month when I see her next. So I will stay at current dose and the wellbutrin.

What meds r u on now Sam?

lucylane 05-13-2005 08:32 AM

I take the minimum dose of effexor xr and clonazepam (anti-anxiety tablet). The clonazepam really is great. It helps also to quiet my pulsatile tinnitus and my mom takes it for restless legs syndrome. She suffered for years and now with clonazepam, she no long has restless legs.

SandybytheSea 05-13-2005 09:18 AM

my grandmother has restless legs it drives her crazy...I am going to tell her about the med u mentionted. Thanks Lucy :)
Also what dose is the lowest does for effexor?