It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• will I die from Zoloft withdrawal?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-11-2005, 01:49 AM   #1
    trucky
    (female)

trucky HB User
    will I die from Zoloft withdrawal?

I've been tapering off zoloft for a couple of months--from 50 down to 12.5. A week ago I stopped. I felt my old self again and then after 2 days I started:

sleeping in the afternoons
    shaking in the nite enough to wake me 2-3 times
    head dizziness so bad I cant read and cant make decisions
    muscle pain in my arms so bad I cry
    zombied out to where my food decisions are haphazard

As you can see I'm up again now @ 3:44 AM. When does this end--will I suffer brain damage--and what can I take to stop these symptoms? I dont want to take the Zoloft anymore because those symptoms are just as bad, except with Zoloft, I dissociate. Both my medical doctor and psychiatrist say that my dose was too small to have any side effects or withdrawal. I really need some feedback from you, the people I trust. Thanks, T

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-11-2005, 07:43 AM   #2
    trucky
    (female)

trucky HB User
    Re: will I die from Zoloft withdrawal?

Can someone please reply, thanks

Old 05-11-2005, 08:06 AM   #3
    lelelee
    (female)

lelelee HB User

sorry to hear you are feeling so bad. can you split the 12.5, and take that for awhile before quitting completely? did you tell your doctors how bad you are feeling? i know the doctors don't really want to say the side effects are from the meds, at least that is what i think. i am taking 25 mg of zoloft down from 50. it's been about 6 weeks and i did have quite a few side effects that have finally gone away. am planning on going to 12.5 in the next week, and then i was going to stop, though maybe i will have to wean off slower. sorry i don't really have any answers for you. i think the side effects will eventually go away, just don't know how long it will take. other people have suggested taking benedryl (though that may make you more tired), drink lots of water and try to get some exercise, though i'm sure you probably don't feel like it. good luck to you! anne

Old 05-11-2005, 08:50 AM   #4
    valleygurl
    Inactive
    (female)

valleygurl HB User

trucky, Hi There! I dont think we have ever posted to one another so let me introduce myself. I am a 36 year old female, I am married and have 5 children of my own as well as i have custody of my neice and nephew and then i have visitations every weekend and all school holidays of another nephew of mine. Yep....8 kids! No wonder i feel like i am nuts!!!!!!!!!!

I have been sufferring with depression for a few years now. I had been on and off several different meds, some of them i couldnt take because i was allergic to them while others just didnt agree with me. I ended up on Lexapro for quite a long time. While on it i didnt really feel any different and i stayed on it because i thought i was supposed to "feel" the way i did. Last December my depression hit an all time low. I was totally miserable and was scaring myself with the thoughts that were going through my head.
    I knew that i needed to go to the doctor and get help. He took me off the Lexapro and started me on 60 mg's of Cymbalta. At that time the Cymbalta had only been on the market for approx 6 mos.

The Cymbalta saved my life. It is an absolute wonderful medication with very few side effects and it is also being prescribed to patients with chronic pain, as it helps like a pain medication. Another thing that i was pleasantly surprised with, is that most AD's take anywhere from 4 to 6 weeks to really kick in and work at there maximum capacity, i was only on the Cymbalta 4 DAYS and i felt a total difference!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, you were on a very low dose of medication, however, every persons bodies are so different. So YES, it is a very big possibility that the symptoms you are sufferring with is from coming off the medication.

NO, the withdrawal's WONT KILL YOU! They can be uncomfortable and truely bothersome. How long have you been off the medication? Also, do you take an anti-anxiety med? If not, i think that you would most likely greatly benefit from one. If the doctor would prescribe something for you and if you took it at night before bed it is quite possible that would help the symptoms that you are experiencing at night as well as would help you to get some good sleep.

I wish you well and it is nice to meet you!
    ValleyGurl

Old 05-12-2005, 12:18 AM   #5
    trucky
    (female)

trucky HB User

Thanks so much for the info--I've tried SSRIs over the years and every one caused effects so extreme I could hardly function. I no longer call the shrink--he wont go on record about any effects of any meds. Same with my primary doc. I still go to my therapist who's great. Yesterday I walked 2 of my dogs--it helped some. I did take about 4 mgs of zoloft yesterday and am going to taper slower this week. Also got a massage yesterday. My right side stings again--woke me up in the nite--but I'm following your advice--that this is all zoloft withdrawal. No panic attacks whatsoever, so I defintely have that to be grateful for! Just having regular feedback online makes all the difference!
    Thanks again, T

Old 05-12-2005, 04:21 AM   #6
    sgt207
    (male)

sgt207 HB User

I went through it a couple of years ago --- had to re-start on about 6 mg's of Zoloft to stop the withdrawal after suffering for two months. Now I am down to about 4mg's and am considering going to the liquid form to go down to an even lower amount. Most of the doctors I know say that these dosages are so small as to not even be significant --- but they are wrong. When I quit the last time I had gone down to about two mg's then stopped. My withdrawal then started, not real bad at first, but gradually worse over the two month period with different withdrawal effects, in stages.
    My Dr told me it was withdrawal and not depression or any other re-emergence since the symptoms resolved almost immediately.

I believe that zoloft has been stored in the body which then gets used up after stopping --- which causes the delayed onset withdrawal.

Hang in there and read some of the previous posts. There have been some good discussions over the last several years.

Last edited by sgt207; 05-12-2005 at 04:21 AM.

Old 05-12-2005, 07:08 AM   #7
    reddoorblack
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

reddoorblack HB User

I read somewhere that Zoloft has a 30 day half life which means it stays in your system for thirty days regardless if you are taking it or not. I'm not sure if that's true but something I read. I got off zoloft once before (I'm currently back on it at 25mg a day). It was difficult. I was very weepy, sad, sleepy. Also had brain "zaps" all the time. That was the worst. They say Benadryl helps with the withdrawl symptoms. I also had wine in the evening to help me relax. Good luck.

Old 05-12-2005, 07:49 AM   #8
    Astroboy529
    (male)

Astroboy529 HB User

I've never heard of anyone dying from withdrawal itself. Everyone's experience with meds is different. I'm anxious to withdraw from Wellbutrin as I don't think it helps but I do think it causes morning jitters for me. As I've stopped taking it, the morning jitters have gone. My anxiety has gotten much better, too.

In any event, I hope you do have success with combatting this horrible illness

Old 05-12-2005, 11:33 AM   #9
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by trucky
    I've been tapering off zoloft for a couple of months--from 50 down to 12.5. A week ago I stopped. I felt my old self again and then after 2 days I started:

sleeping in the afternoons
    shaking in the nite enough to wake me 2-3 times
    head dizziness so bad I cant read and cant make decisions
    muscle pain in my arms so bad I cry
    zombied out to where my food decisions are haphazard

As you can see I'm up again now @ 3:44 AM. When does this end--will I suffer brain damage--and what can I take to stop these symptoms? I dont want to take the Zoloft anymore because those symptoms are just as bad, except with Zoloft, I dissociate. Both my medical doctor and psychiatrist say that my dose was too small to have any side effects or withdrawal. I really need some feedback from you, the people I trust. Thanks, T
    Drugs can cause some brain damage from what I have heard, but it is a chemical system damage, not structural so the brain can in fact heal it's chemical system once off drugs.

THey can't go into your brain and look/measure all your brain chemicals, so they can't really say how much of a dose is too small or not to cause effects; rather, they go by general statistics of patients. Some withdrawals go unreported or blamed on original condition or emergence of new condition so the statics are flawed.

Not to mention, some of us are just more drug sensitive than others, simular to other things as well.....for example, tomato sauce can keep my hubby up all night with indigestion whereas the same sauce doesn't give me a peep. People's reactions to things are just different and not always predictable.

Withdrawal is just the drug completely leaving the body; once that is done, the brain must have some time to recover itself, rebuild it's chemical abilities so sometimes it isn't all over after withdrawal. During the recovery period, some withdrawal symptoms hang on a bit or reappear.....this is usually mistaken for return of original conditon but in fact people who went on AD's or other psychoactive drugs for other reasons than anxiety/depression (pain, muscle spasms, etc) have reported the same symptoms so it's clear that original condition may not be a factor.

So patience is the way to go, don't expect it all to disappear once your taper is over; your doctor will likely expect that because they don't believe their drugs would cause the brain any problems that it needs to recover from. But other studies and professionals beg to differ, stating recovery can take months or in some cases years to be completed in many cases. But during that time, the symptoms do get weaker and weaker intil finally going.

Recovery time can vary in each case. There are those who are fine in a few weeks. Either way, staying off the drug will eventually bring better health and well being! Congratulations!

And our neurotranmitters/chemicals are all made from what we ingest, so make wise choices in that area whenever possible!

Last edited by Jennita; 05-12-2005 at 11:39 AM.

Closed Thread