It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• just prescribed Effexor XR

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-17-2005, 04:41 PM   #1
    Apricot Rose
    (female)

Apricot Rose HB User
    Question just prescribed Effexor XR

hi all, I am new and I am wondering if anyone can share their experiences with this drug? Many Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-17-2005, 07:13 PM   #2
    lville51
    (male)

lville51 HB User
    Re: just prescribed Effexor XR

I took Effexor for about six months. It helped with my anxiety
    symptoms but I couldn't deal with the side effects. I had alot of sweating,
    at night and when I was stressed at work. Like all other antidepressants
    I have been on, it really killed the libido.
    Whatever you do, don't stop taking it abruptly. Good luck

Last edited by lville51; 05-17-2005 at 07:18 PM.

Old 05-17-2005, 08:24 PM   #3
    racing flats
    Inactive
    (male)

racing flats HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apricot Rose
    hi all, I am new and I am wondering if anyone can share their experiences with this drug? Many Thanks
    Hi there, I am on Effexor XR as well. I started it just over three months ago, and went up as high as 262.5mg before deciding it might not be for me.

The way it affects people is really personal and different with almost everyone, so it's hard to offer any advice/anecdotal experience without always wanting to say, "this may or may not happen to you".

In terms of side effects, many people experience some degree of problems achieving orgasm, gain/lose weight, sleep a lot/can't sleep at all, memory problems, restless legs, nausea, headaches, overly vivid dreams, constipation, dizziness... the list goes on, but chances are you will only experience a few.

For example it's quite common to experience nausea, sometimes pretty bad, and it MUST be taken with food to reduce the problem. Yet I have never experienced nausea and can take lots on a totally empty stomach. I also have never had dreaming problems, but some people have to discontinue the drug because their dreams upset them so much.

Your best bet is to educate yourself. Read everywhere you can about it so you know what to expect if it's going to happen. You will notice lots of people talk about horrible withdrawal from Effexor XR when stopped. Again, some people really do have problems even when they taper slowly, but others can stop and have no ill-effects at all.

Best of luck, and I hope it works for you.

Old 05-17-2005, 09:14 PM   #4
    lucylane
    (female)

lucylane HB User

Hello Rose. I've been on effexor XR for 5 years (75 mg capsule) and I feel great. I also take clonazepam (anti-anxiety tablet). The two meds have helped me significantly. I am no longer depressed and have anxiety. They also help my pulsatile tinnitus (heart beat noise in right ear). I do not have any side effects, except drowsiness from clonazepam when I take it before bedtime to help me have a good nights sleep. I like that side effect. I wake up refreshed & rested from it.

Good luck. I hope you don't have any side effects either.

Old 05-18-2005, 04:39 AM   #5
    americandancer
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

americandancer HB User

lucylane, I know you said you didn't have any side effects, but did you have any weight gain or increase of appetite?

Old 05-18-2005, 05:21 AM   #6
    daftthing
    (female)

daftthing HB User

I took effexor 150mg for 18 months a couple of years ago. It really did help the depression and anixety and I didn't have many side effects unless I missed a dose, then I felt terrible. Be careful not to miss a dose .... and also withdrawal is hell.

Old 05-18-2005, 02:15 PM   #7
    lucylane
    (female)

lucylane HB User

I asked my doctor when he was going to prescribe an anti-depression drug for me, to make sure it wasn't one that had a side effect of weight gain. He said effexor does not cause weight gain. If you look at a print out of the possible side effects of effexor, you will notice that causing weight gain is not listed.

You have to remember though, if an anti-depression drug really works for you, like effexor does for me & you feel normal; it won't be the drug that causes you to gain weight or not gain weight; it will be what you decide to eat each day and how much exercise you do to burn the calories.

Old 05-18-2005, 03:11 PM   #8
    SOE
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lucylane
    I asked my doctor when he was going to prescribe an anti-depression drug for me, to make sure it wasn't one that had a side effect of weight gain. He said effexor does not cause weight gain. If you look at a print out of the possible side effects of effexor, you will notice that causing weight gain is not listed.

You have to remember though, if an anti-depression drug really works for you, like effexor does for me & you feel normal; it won't be the drug that causes you to gain weight or not gain weight; it will be what you decide to eat each day and how much exercise you do to burn the calories.
    That's not true.... I, and several people I know gained weight on Effexor. Plus, two of my doctors are now convinced that ADs do cause some people to gain weight -- and it is not always based on what you eat and how many calories you burn.

Drugs affect people differently. And many people can suffer from side effects that aren't officially listed, but do exist. And some people don't suffer side effects at all.

Last edited by SOE; 05-18-2005 at 03:11 PM.

Old 05-20-2005, 09:54 AM   #9
    Apricot Rose
    (female)

Apricot Rose HB User

Thank you all for sharing your experiences. It has really been reassuring for me. This is my first time using AD's. I've been on them now for only 3 days but I think I am faring pretty well. I do notice a slight decrease in appetite, and initially I had some nausea but it seems to be passing with each day. My anxiety has decreased noticeably and although my body is very much aware of this new substance right now, I do feel improvements and I remain hopeful.

Closed Thread