It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• Withdrawal from Lexapro? Weird lightheadedness and numb sensations.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-02-2005, 10:05 PM   #1
    sealover
    Veteran
    (female)

sealover HB Usersealover HB User
    Withdrawal from Lexapro? Weird lightheadedness and numb sensations.

I have been taking 20 mg Lexapro for a year, but I wanted to stop taking this med because it's not helping me, so a little over a week ago I cut my dose in half so that I was taking 10 mg Lexapro. Three days ago I stopped taking Lexapro.

Very soon after stopping Lexapro, I started to feel light-headed several times a day when I moved my eyes or head, and I would feel a quick numb sensation in parts of my face that would come and go all day long. It's hard to explain, but it's like when I moved my eyes or head or body, I would get a quick light-headed, numbing sensation. Very annoying. What are these symptoms? Is the lightheadedness/numb sensations caused by withdrawal? Are these "brain zaps" that I'm experiencing? What do brain zaps feel like?

In addition, I felt nauseous, fatigued, depressed, moody, irritable, unable to concentrate. I went to my family doc today and mentioned the light-headedness and weird numb sensations in my face and he said that I am going through withdrawal of Lexapro and that I did not wean myself off of it slowly enough. So tonight I took 10 mg of Lexapro, and the lightheadedness has improved. Now I have to keep taking 10 mg and very slowly try to wean myself off of Lexapro.

I never knew that when I was prescribed Lexapro that there would be withdrawal. My doctor never mentioned this to me. I never experienced withdrawal from Prozac or Celexa.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2005, 08:10 AM   #2
    campingirl72
    Veteran
    (female)

campingirl72 HB User
    Re: Withdrawal from Lexapro? Weird lightheadedness and numb sensations.

how slowly did your doctor say to wean off the Lexapro?
    I'm in the process of weaning off it also

Old 06-03-2005, 09:04 PM   #3
    sealover
    Veteran
    (female)

sealover HB Usersealover HB User

campingirl,

My family doc advised me, if I remember correctly, to cut the dose of Lexapro in half and take that dose for a month, then to take the dose of Lexapro every other day for a few weeks. I have no idea if this is the best way to wean yourself off of Lexapro.

Last edited by sealover; 06-03-2005 at 09:10 PM.

Old 06-04-2005, 05:29 PM   #4
    campingirl72
    Veteran
    (female)

campingirl72 HB User

okay thanks ~ my doc wasnt much help when I asked her about the weaning ~ I was also taking 20 mg (for about 3 years) ~ I cut them in half and took 10 mg for a week and then cut in quarters and now have been taking 5 mg for a week, then Monday going to stop all together ~ wasn't sure if this was too fast to wean off

Closed Thread