It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• Answer this question about Lexapro..PLEASE

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-03-2005, 06:11 PM   #1
    xrate
    (female)

xrate HB User
    Answer this question about Lexapro..PLEASE

If weight gain occurs, will it be due to an increased appetite, OR the medication itself slowing my metabolism down? See, I am able to control myself by not eating, but I wonder if weight gain is beyond my control.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2005, 07:42 PM   #2
    americandancer
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

americandancer HB User
    Re: Answer this question about Lexapro..PLEASE

xrate, I would like to know the same thing. Some say you become happier or more relaxed (if prone to anxiety) and then tend to eat more normally or exercise less. I don't know if that is the case or if it really does slow down metabolism, but I would not have as much anxiety about taking meds if I knew. I think if I knew I could control the weight gain with exercise and watching what I ate, then that would be fine. But, if I could not control it no matter what, then I don't know what to do. I do know when I took lexapro, I had really strong cravings for things I didn't normally eat...sweets and carbs. It was very similar to pms cravings for me. Don't know if you are a female and can relate.

Old 06-04-2005, 08:57 PM   #3
    SOE
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB User

Another theory is that your liver is so busy breaking down the ADs, that it does not have the time to break down all the food you eat, so the fat and calories go directly to fat in your body.

Old 06-05-2005, 08:13 AM   #4
    racing flats
    Inactive
    (male)

racing flats HB User

My exercise levels dropped dramatically once I started Effexor XR. I went from years of steady 50 - 70 miles a week of serious competitive running (and racing) to zero.

Having a running lifestyle also created a habit of checking my pulse rate upon waking every morning, before getting out of bed. This is done mainly to check for the hallmark of overtraining - an elevated resting pulse of (usually) 8 - 12 beats higher than the usual.

I mention all this because I still check my pulse this way daily, and it has steadly risen from 39 - 42bpm to it's current level of about 61bpm over about 3 months of inactivity and AD drug use. Although this is still low, my resting pulse was very low before due to regular exercise of the heart muscle.

I believe that decreased activity from AD drugs lead to a faster, less efficient heart. My own experience also had me craving sugary snacks rather than the mountains of good complex carbs I desired when running. My bowel movements are irregular and not normal in consistency. All this seems to point to metabolism problems in general.

I don't gain weight from AD drugs. I lose it if anything. However, I have always been thin. I am currently 132lbs, and am a 5'10" male. Before I began running, I was a dozen pounds heavier. It's never come back, even with not running for months and Effexor XR use. But my metabolism is surely affected, as I pointed out earlier.

I think we all react differently, but the commonalies we share in what parts of the body get affected almost guarantee some sort of changes, big or small, in your weight.

Last edited by racing flats; 06-05-2005 at 08:18 AM.

Old 06-06-2005, 09:56 AM   #5
    woodfaery
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

woodfaery HB User

Personally for me, I noticed that I did gain weight on Zoloft, and then Lexapro. During those times I did eat more and did not pay attention to my eating habits--I just simply did not care and was not concerned about it. I also did not exercise. But, when I got on Lexapro (this is the second time of getting on it after being off it for a year.) I made a strong point this time around on Lexapro to not allow myself to overeat or become less active. I make it a point to eat right, avoid unneccesary carbohydrates (junk food), and remain active and energetic. Well I am happy to say I have been on Lexapro for close to 2 months now and I have not had any increase in weight at all and I believe it is because I am making it a prioritiy to not gain added pounds that I dont need. Being overweight is very upsetting to me, and it does not feel good to me at all. When I was on Zoloft and Lexapro in the past--I did eat a lot and I can honestly say I did not make any extended effort to change that at that time. Now I do. And, I am really thankful that Lexapro works for me to relieve depression and anxiety.
    Hope I was some help. Thanks for letting me share my experience.
    WF

Old 06-07-2005, 07:37 PM   #6
    americandancer
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

americandancer HB User

woodfaery, you've really helped me. I have been debating whether to take lexapro again. My anxiety and irritabiltiy have been out of control lately and now I think I am suffering from depression, also. I know I have to get everything under control and I know lex works for me. So, I think I'll try again and just watch what I eat and exercise more. I just feel like I need a med at this stage in my life. I've tried toughing it out and it's just getting worse. I do worry about the liver thing sickofeffexor was talking about, though. Is that a problem with lexapro?

Old 06-08-2005, 03:56 PM   #7
    xrate
    (female)

xrate HB User

I hate it. I've been taking Lex for less than a week and am already eating like a pig! I don't feel like doing anything.

Old 06-11-2005, 05:33 PM   #8
    kerry1
    Inactive

kerry1 HB User

I'd like to know people's reactions too, because my situation is kind of weird. I just weaned off Paxil, an experience that was hell on earth. Paxil caused me to gain weight (about 15-20 extra pounds) and made me a bit sluggish. I craved sweets like you wouldn't believe. While weaning off of Paxil I started Lexapro, which seems to be helping, but I can't tell yet since it really takes several weeks to get over Paxil. So far I have to force myself to eat, and when I do I have no problem eating healthy. I don't crave sweets although I still like them. I've lost about 20 pounds but that's also due to stress and losing my job.
    So I'd like to know other people's experience w/ Lexapro specifically!! I've taken a bunch of SSRI's - Prozac made me lose weight/appetite, Paxil made me gain, and the others didn't seem to have an effect on my weight.

Old 06-11-2005, 06:35 PM   #9
    littlejmb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

littlejmb HB Userlittlejmb HB User

When I first started on Lexapro in March, I didn't notice any increase of appetite or weight gain. But in the last month, I can definitely tell that I am hungry more, and I am eating more sweets than usual. I could usually talk myself out of eating them before, but now it's really hard to turn them down. I have exercised faithfully for the past five years, but I have kind of gotten slack on that lately as well. Seems I don't have the drive to make myself do it anymore. Neither of these developments are good. But - Lexapro works so well for my anxiety and depression, I don't want to quit taking it. I did try going down to 5mg for the past two weeks, but I was starting to get teary and anxious again, so I went back up to 10mg yesterday. Got too much stress in my life right now to deal with, so I need all the help I can get!

I find that I mainly get hungry and want to eat at night time though. During the day I do ok.

Last edited by littlejmb; 06-11-2005 at 06:35 PM.

Old 06-11-2005, 08:00 PM   #10
    studyin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

studyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB User

I've been on Cipramil (similar active ingredient found in Lex) for about 18 months and nearly free of it now. The weight started piling on at month 5. In my view, it occurs for two reasons: 1) because it affects your basal metabolic rate by lowering it to near zero and 2) makes you feel like eating tons of carbs. Even though I am doing power walks daily and eating really low fat, low GI foods I cannot dump the additional 6 kgs. I know if I wasn't so disciplined about eating and exercise I'd likely be 20-30 kg overweight by now.

Old 06-12-2005, 12:43 AM   #11
    dsa
    (female)

dsa HB User

I've been on Lexapro for a while. The first month, I gained quite a bit of weight, but looking back it was not from the medication so much as the increased appetite I acquired. I was craving carbs and feeling hungry a lot more. Also, the lexapro made me "chilled out" so I wouldn't feel guilty after eating a lot. However, I noticed that after the first month my weight went back to normal. I actually went through boughts of no appetite. So I guess the weight gain is nothing to be too worried about.

Closed Thread