It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• Effexor Withdrawals

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-12-2005, 04:09 PM   #1
    cat3883
    (female)

cat3883 HB User
    Effexor Withdrawals

I have been on effexor for about 2 years but I was gaining weight on this so my Dr. changed it to wellbutrin. Things were going good when I was on one effexor and one wellbutrin. But things changed drastically when I stopped the effexor. I developed a major headache and was throwing up. It didn't help matters that I was in Las Vegas for my son's wedding. By Sunday I was so lethargic and in major pain that my husband had the paramedics meet us at the airport. I was taken to the emergency room and they began tests. To make a long story short I was kept 2 days and was given medication for migraines. I am home now but I dont feel well---my brain is foggy. Has anyone ever experienced this when going off effexor. I have never felt this bad in my life. I go to my doctor tomorrow. Hopefully he will be able to help me. I feel like a drug addict going off drugs.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2005, 09:26 PM   #2
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User
    Re: Effexor Withdrawals

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cat3883
    I have been on effexor for about 2 years but I was gaining weight on this so my Dr. changed it to wellbutrin. Things were going good when I was on one effexor and one wellbutrin. But things changed drastically when I stopped the effexor. I developed a major headache and was throwing up. It didn't help matters that I was in Las Vegas for my son's wedding. By Sunday I was so lethargic and in major pain that my husband had the paramedics meet us at the airport. I was taken to the emergency room and they began tests. To make a long story short I was kept 2 days and was given medication for migraines. I am home now but I dont feel well---my brain is foggy. Has anyone ever experienced this when going off effexor. I have never felt this bad in my life. I go to my doctor tomorrow. Hopefully he will be able to help me. I feel like a drug addict going off drugs.
    In a way, your assesment of how you feel is true.

You are not an addict, or aka an addictive drug-seeking person but the drugs did cause a physical dependancy and that means physical withdrawals. Even after withdrawal period is over, the brain has to re-adjust to the new med or re-adjust to no meds so symptoms can go on awhile.

The true definition of addiction has psychological components so that's why they can technically say that prescriptions meds at prescribed doses are non-addicting. That's very misleading because they only mention addiction itself not physical dependancy, which is the brain becoming dependant (addicted physically, not psychologically) so you do have symptoms like an addict in a way....

Last edited by Jennita; 07-12-2005 at 09:27 PM.

Old 07-13-2005, 08:34 AM   #3
    sha2020
    (female)

sha2020 HB User

Did you wean off the Effexor?? Very important not to quit cold turkey. When I was taken off Lexapro - 30 mg. it took about 2 solid months to readjust. Had migraines, dizziness, hot & cold, & continue shocking sensations in my head (call them brain shock). It's completely normal even when weaning off. Give it time. My doc wanted to make sure that the new med he gave me was really working & didn't want to confuse any symptoms of "withdrawal" from the old med. You might need to go back on Effexor at a lower dose then titrate off slowly. Ask your doc - is he a physchiatrist?? If not, most the other MD's don't know squat about that kind stuff. You'll be ok, but it's scary if you don't wean off slowly.

Good luck - call your doc today!
    Sha

Old 07-13-2005, 08:38 AM   #4
    SOE
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB User

You got sick because you just stopped taking it -- you must taper slowly off Effexor and similar ADs.

Take care.

Old 07-13-2005, 09:31 AM   #5
    cat3883
    (female)

cat3883 HB User

I guess I didnt make myself clear in my initial post. I was gradually taken off by my physician. This took over 6 weeks. Believe me, I know not to go cold turkey. I cannot imagine what that would have felt like.

Old 07-13-2005, 10:04 AM   #6
    mjewell
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB User

Have you had bad migraines before? Is it possible that it was just a horrible migraine attack? i just haven't heard of that being a withdrawal effect before.

Old 07-13-2005, 10:47 AM   #7
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
    I guess I didnt make myself clear in my initial post. I was gradually taken off by my physician. This took over 6 weeks. Believe me, I know not to go cold turkey. I cannot imagine what that would have felt like.
    That still makes sense because tapering is not a guarentee of symptom-free withdrawal and the brain still has to recover anyway after intial withdrawal.

Also, it can be confusing when stopping one med and starting another because then it's hard to determine what is a symptom of recovery(withdrawal like symptom) or what is a side/adverse effect of the new drug. Many withdrawal, side effect and adverse effect symptoms are simular.

The migranes could very well be an adverse effect of the Wellbutrin, the after effects of quitting Effexor, or both!

Since they have no idea how much of those brain chemicals(serotonin, norepinephrine, etc) we really need or have no way of measuring them, basically anything goes.

Old 07-13-2005, 11:14 AM   #8
    SOE
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB User

Quote:

It took me 10 months to taper off of Effexor....

Old 07-14-2005, 10:47 AM   #9
    jedoz

jedoz HB User

I felt awful when I went off of Effexor a few years ago not as bad as when I went on though. In my opinion it's nasty stuff. I didn't have any actual pain but I was very disconnected feeling and this is weird but I felt like my brain couldn't keep up with my eyes. I would be walking and it was as if my brain was moving around in my skull it was very concerning at the time. I knew it was withdrawals and I just dealt with it so a few years later I tried Wellbutrin and thought it was just as terrible and gave it up. I've heard that benadryl helps with the withdrawals but please check with a Dr first before trying anything, also Xanax helped with the withdrawals as well. Hang in there it will go away. Congrats on your son getting married.

Closed Thread