It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board

• SSRIs: Lexapro versus Celexa??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-13-2005, 07:45 PM   #1
    allisonash
    (female)

allisonash HB User
    Question SSRIs: Lexapro versus Celexa??

One doctor prescribed Lexapro and another prescribed Celexa - I haven't started taking either one because I want to find out more information. I know that Lexapro is an isomer of Celexa and newer.

Is one of these meds better for depression versus anxiety? Also, I have a lot of difficulty sleeping, should this influence which med I take? Does Lexapro really take fewer weeks to start acting?

What experiences have people had with these drugs? Side effects? Please help.

Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2005, 04:35 PM   #2
    pag2002
    (female)

pag2002 HB User
    Re: SSRIs: Lexapro versus Celexa??

I've tried both Celexa and Lexapro. All the while on Lamictal at 200mg/day supposedly to help with mood swings. Eh, hard to tell what the Lamictal's doing and it's been several months already. In any event, thought I'd share my experiences with Celexa and Lexapro:

Celexa at 10mg/day gave me excellent warm fuzzies, which I needed badly. Took all of a day to feel the effects. Just walking down the street I wanted to hug everyone. Loved how I felt, even if it came at a price of being lightheaded, silly (embarrassing myself by laughing at stupid jokes), a-sexual (would ask my bf to please hold me but that's it), and wired (physical and mental: fidgety, racing thoughts). Not sure why my doc suggested switching to Lexapro. Maybe she didn't like the potential mania and also maybe she thought there were too many break-through moments of irritability (which there were but far fewer than before).

Lexapro at 10mg/day (second week now) has been a let-down. In addition to being lightheaded and a-sexual, I'm now back to irritable, tired, anxious and weepy (weepy!). Also had a terrible dream about feeling hopelessly suicidal. Which I'm not -- just irritable and sad. Go figure. Might be withdrawal while transitioning from one to the other? I rather thought the Lexapro would kick in as fast as the Celexa did.

Anyway, my doc said even though the two drugs are very similar, some folks respond better to one over the other. I'm giving the Lexapro another couple of weeks and then running back to Celexa.

Hope that helps--good luck!

Closed Thread